The Student Room Group

I think I was caught speeding - what will happen? Please help :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shaymarriott
Most car speedometers are actually calibrated up to 60 or 70 and therefore pretty accurate within most legal speed limits.

Not usually. The gap is in case you try to sue them for the speedometer reading wrong. If you use a GPS system, that gives you a better indication of your speed (closer to speed limits).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EmeraldFox
Not usually. The gap is in case you try to sue them for the speedometer reading wrong. If you use a GPS system, that gives you a better indication of your speed (closer to speed limits).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most modern cars are quite well calibrated. Older cars obviously less so. Doubtless the tolerance is both to allow for a margin of error in their equipment as well.
I was on the motorway earlier on, and I was totally oblivious of the speed camera signs, it was a 60mph zone zone and I was going around 63/65mph, I slowed down when I realised going past the camera. It was a camera that is on a post on the motorway but it didn't flash or do anything as some people say that's what happens you see a flash but I didn't, so I'm wondering if I did get caught, do you think I did?? Please reply!!!
Prepare to serve up to 25 years in prison
Your speedometer always shows your speed a little bit faster than what you're actually doing. For example if your speedometer shows 50mph your car is actually only travelling at 48-49mph.
The fact that there was a van there in the first place means they're trying to catch cars which are doing 50 on that road (only a guess) but 45mph? You'll be fine. Police usually give people a 5mph limit on roads with limits such as 40, 50 and NSL. Anything over 45mph you'd receive a fine and points but in this case you've got lucky :smile:
In my previous job I dealt with notices of intended prosecution for speeding fines (and dangerous driving, running red lights etc. - I worked for a car hire company) so I can pretty much quickly say some stuff here that I witnessed on the hundreds of police notices I've seen.

*Will I get a ticket?*
i) If you were caught going 5mph+ over the speed limit by a camera, yes you probably will. I only ever once saw anything below over 5 (it was 4) and that was dealt with by an officer not a camera.
ii) Most notices of IP are sent out within a week, if you haven't had one after two weeks then consider yourself blessed.

*What options are there*

i) If your area offers one, you can pay to do a speed awareness course providing you didn't exceed the speed limit too excessively (I'm sure the maximum is worked out by taking the speed limit, adding 10 percent of that and then plus 9? So in a 30mph speed limit you could do a maximum of 42mph to be eligible for course).
ii) Pay an upfront cost of a fixed term penalty and accept the points on your license.
iii) Challenge it in court.
iv) Nominate the driver/the owner of the vehicle if it was not you.

*But I wasn't going that speed, my car showed X speed*

i) The general response to this is that all stationary speed cameras (and hand held ones) are subject to home office approval and thus it does not matter if you thought you were going a different speed in your car, they go by the government approved police device.

*How long do I have to reply*

i) One month to reply to the notice of intended prosecution. If you get a form please fill it in correctly, because if you don't they send it back to you without extending time scale.

*But I was only going 22 (ex) in a 20, surely that's not illegal?*

Whilst it seems arbitrary to charge someone for it, it is still technically illegal and they have every right to prosecute.

*Meh it was only 5mph over, I don't think anyone will be that fussed*

In my previous job, a heck of a lot of notices were from speed cameras that had caught people going dead on 5 mph over the speed limit. Please don't be a fool and think you can get away with _5mph in a _0mph zone, it's not worth it.
Original post by fitaap05
Do you know what areas provide it? what area did you work in?
also i have a question regarding speed cameras, are you allowed to get a copy of the cameras with all the calculations to see how fast i was actually going?

1) I wouldn't be able to list every location of a speed awareness course, but there is a fairly comprehensive list here: http://www.driver-improvement.co.uk/index.php/home/speed-awareness-scheme/nsac-service-providers. I believe some police forces will allow you the option of doing the course in the next closest county, but don't quote me on that.

2) I worked in the fines team for a car lease company. The cars are all registered to the company's address so the police originally send the speeding prosecutions to us and we had to fill it in with the customer's/driver's details 'nd record it on the system and whatnot.

3) On all notices I've seen, they state that they do have photographic and/or video evidence BUT you are not entitled to see it. The only time it ever HAS to be produced is if you challenge it in court.

In some cases I've seen photographic evidence posted out, but that is usually only in notices for where driver's have been caught on a mobile phone. Never seen it on a speeding notice.

On the notice it will state how fast you were going :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by tomrw
Doubtful.. seeing as the law states a speedo can overcompensate (But not undercompensate)for 10% of your speed (ie you could see 44 on your speedo but actually be driving bang on 40)

Doubtful?

FYI devices such as speed cameras etc have tolerances set, and these are based on ACPO guidelines, usually 10% + 2-9MPH dependant on force (it varies from region to region).

However if you are stopped by an officer, and not some form of automated device, then you can be done for speeding at 41 in a 40.... 33 in 30.... 35 in a 30.... 37 in a 30... etc

All of the above I have known to happen.

The 10% rule is not actually even a valid thing, it's just something everyone thinks is true... the 10% is more just a goodwill gesture, you CAN be ticketed for doing 1MPH over the limit, as opposed to people thinking you shouldn't get a ticket until you are doing 10% over.
I was driving 82mph in a 60mph road iv got 5 points already 2yrars ago wat will happen
Original post by Nataliegraham90
I was driving 82mph in a 60mph road iv got 5 points already 2yrars ago wat will happen

Hopefully get banned for being an idiot.
Original post by halle1979
You can be done for speeding at 41 mph these days, the old cameras weren't good enough but some of the new vans are capable of catching you speeding even a small amount over. It will be a 3 points and £60 they may offer you the drivers awareness.

There is nothing you can do about it now so try not to worry, it's horrible waiting for a ticket and wondering if it's going to drop on your mat but not life threatening just expendsive.

lol no u cant
This threads still going on LOL
is the limit not with an additional 10%+2? this is in the dvla website even. you should be fine if you kept it under 47 mph
Best case scenario, get yourself a good lawyer and you might get a reduced sentence of 25 years to life. Worst case scenario, you'll be sentenced to death and hung at dawn. but don't worry too much.
Reply 54
Original post by Shaquille O'Feel
Best case scenario, get yourself a good lawyer and you might get a reduced sentence of 25 years to life. Worst case scenario, you'll be sentenced to death and hung at dawn. but don't worry too much.

Listen to Shaq, he knows.
My speedo said 42mph in a 40mph zone but I slowed down to 38 when I was near the camera but I hear the cameras see you from far. I wasn’t actually continuously doing 42, I got to 42 just as I was accelerating to change gears. It’s my mum’s car and i need reassurance! I hear these speed cameras are strict. Someone reply please.
Other than waiting two weeks or so for a letter, there's not really any reassurance we can give.

Quick Reply

Latest