The Student Room Group

Revision Tips for a 'Night Owl'

I prefer working at night time (when I say night I mean from about 10 to the early hours of the morning), but it is not very practical when you have school every morning. Any advice on the most effective way to go about revision when you are a 'night owl'?
:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i am but i dont know how to revise too ><
I'm hoping I'll be able to basically turn nocturnal once I'm on study leave! At the moment though, I'll normally start working at 8 (although it takes about an hour to get in to it) and finish at 11. In that time, 10-11 is the most productive hour for me!

Edit: that didn't really answer question though...
My tips would be don't put off revising by telling yourself you can *only* work at night, have a set time to finish - I try and always finish by 11 if I need to get up in the morning, and do something menial to switch off after revising otherwise you'll be too fired up to sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by boods8897
I'm hoping I'll be able to basically turn nocturnal once I'm on study leave! At the moment though, I'll normally start working at 8 (although it takes about an hour to get in to it) and finish at 11. In that time, 10-11 is the most productive hour for me!

Edit: that didn't really answer question though...
My tips would be don't put off revising by telling yourself you can *only* work at night, have a set time to finish - I try and always finish by 11 if I need to get up in the morning, and do something menial to switch off after revising otherwise you'll be too fired up to sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a fab solution. Thank you! :smile:
Have you tried sleeping for a bit, when you get in from school? Just so you're less tired the next morning, after getting fewer than 6-8 hours sleep.

I've always worked better at night and this is what I sometimes did last year.
My brain just doesn't work in the morning whereas I feel much more receptive to learning at night so am definitely a revision night owl! I wouldn't say it was that good for the social side of things though...
THIS IS ME ALL THE WAYYYYYY! I sleep during the day for a couple of hours, that keeps me awake through the night, burning that midnight oil :tongue:
I'm the same! My advice would be to work hard on Friday nights (when getting up early usually isn't necessary) and try to do all social media / music / leisure activities before 9pm or whenever it is you start to feel ready to work.
Reply 8
I normally have a nap as soon as I get back from school and then I power through the night
A little off the original question but still involves revision and sleep, I found this interesting and it could help many in upcoming exam revision.....http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3006742/A-power-nap-just-45-minutes-boost-memory-five-fold-according-new-research.html...... It will certainly change my habit of revising and then taking a break playing computer games and stuff, I looks like a little nap after revision is the way to go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lizarella
I prefer working at night time (when I say night I mean from about 10 to the early hours of the morning), but it is not very practical when you have school every morning. Any advice on the most effective way to go about revision when you are a 'night owl'?

I remember doing this once or twice when I had an exam the next day.:smile:
I usually sleep from 5 to 8pm when I come home from school, because you are bound to feel tired, then I revise up until 12
Original post by Lizarella

HOW..?! jUST howw..
Original post by Sierra Beckx
I usually sleep from 5 to 8pm when I come home from school, because you are bound to feel tired, then I revise up until 12

That seems like a great idea! :smile:
After school - go for a run, have a snack, sleep 5-9, eat, revise 10-2, chill, sleep 3-7?
Original post by ZolaCFC25
After school - go for a run, have a snack, sleep 5-9, eat, revise 10-2, chill, sleep 3-7?

Have a run?! I hate running :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
Have a run?! I hate running :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

only a guide hun, only a guide.. relax. no need to get your lil nickers in a twist:wink:

moreover, from the way it was said, it seems like that is what He did/does and as a result, has gained success from it; which lead to his suggestions to us on how to beat it:P you don't need to follow it to your death bed:P
Original post by ZolaCFC25

4 hours isn't enough sleep.
Original post by theDanIdentity
only a guide hun, only a guide.. relax. no need to get your lil nickers in a twist:wink:

moreover, from the way it was said, it seems like that is what He did/does and as a result, has gained success from it; which lead to his suggestions to us on how to beat it:P you don't need to follow it to your death bed:P

To my death bed? Sounds about right.... I'll go jogging around Wii Fit Island (although flying is better!)

On a side note, doesn't exercise have proven benefits for working? Something to do with the release of endorphins. Or maybe that's just good for keeping you happy :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehforum
4 hours isn't enough sleep.

8 hours is more than enough.

Quick Reply

Latest