The Student Room Group

Would you support the legalisation of euthanasia?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's important that we make the legal and ethical distinctions between the different types of assisted dying. There is assisted suicide, physician assisted suicide, voluntary euthanasia, involuntary euthanasia, and non-voluntary euthanasia. The key difference between all of these issues is consent: both involuntary euthanasia and non-voluntary euthanasia do not require the consent of the party being euthanised - I think the ethical implications of this are quite obvious, and I don't believe this is the right step forward for society.

I do, however, support both voluntary euthanasia (euthanasia as a direct result of informed consent from an individual possessing full capacity, occurring under a strict set of safeguards to prevent exploitation) and physician assisted suicide. It is important to understand that Falconer's Right to Die Bill focuses on Physician Assisted Suicide, and does not propose any form of euthanasia. Assisted suicide is where a person is aided in ending their own life - this is in direct contrast to euthanasia, where another person ends your life. I believe that being able to choose to end your life under your own terms when you have a terminal illness is a fundamental human right.

The Bill itself proposes that those with a terminal illness expected to die within six months are able to choose to end their own lives with the assistance of a physician, provided that they are over 18, possess full capacity, and are a resident of England or Wales. It requires the patient to consent under the eyes of a witness, and the request to be countersigned by two independent physicians. Health professionals can provide patients with the means to end their lives (providing pills; an injectable solution; or whatever else), but they cannot give the life ending medication themselves (that would be euthanasia). I absolutely think this is the right step forward for society, and I think if a fully competent individual wishes to end their own life, then they should be able to.Of course, any form of assisted dying needs to be strictly regulated, but I don't think we should let fears of exploitation or a slippery slope stop us from taking the positive step forward in society.
Sorry voluntary I mean as well of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by devangdave
If I was terminally ill, I would rather kill myself, and make it quick, than go through a long painful and slow death

Can I recommend that if this is something you feel personally strongly about then you fill out an Advanced Directive (they're really simple to do - http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/advance-directives-living-wills is one of many guides) and share it with your next of kin.

By putting your wishes in official documentation you increase the chances of never being put in the position of wanting to die but not having the ability to authorise that.

Original post by zippity.doodah
so you're saying that people right now who are currently enduring the most heinously painful diseases/conditions ought to continue that kind of torturing living simply because you think there will be certain families who are unbelievably (the right word to use here) selfsh

The prevalence of abuse of vulnerable groups (elderly (4%) or disabled (11% of women, 7% of men with a long-term illness or disability)).

This covers a huge number of people and it simply isn't good enough to dismiss the very real risk to these people of being manipulated or coerced into ending their life early.

Original post by Inazuma

And anyone disabled has no right to be able to commit suicide simply because they aren't able bodied enough to do so alone.

You should probably look into the opinions of disabled people on assisted suicide before speaking for them: "the majority of disabled people including three-quarters (72%) of young disabled people are concerned about moves to legalise assisted suicide. ".

There is a significant mismatch between the feelings of disabled people and those of non-disabled people around changes to the law. Presenting the pro-assisted suicide arguments as if you are lobbying on behalf of disabled people is hugely offensive.
Many
disabled
people
have
tried
to get
their
voices heard. (if you only read one of these links I'd recommend this last). Please don't attempt to speak over them.

My personal view is summed up in one of the links above
"We would not give-up on a suicidal person in otherwise good health, we should not give up on a terminally ill or disabled person seeking an assisted death."

And that's speaking as someone who is very likely to be assisting my partner to end his life at some point. He needs protection from the law far more than I ever will. I follow cases of assisted suicide - I've yet to see any convictions of family who are truly acting in the best interests of their loved ones. I'm satisfied that if I'm ever in this position it is RIGHT that the authorities investigate my actions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PQ
The prevalence of abuse of vulnerable groups (elderly (4%) or disabled (11% of women, 7% of men with a long-term illness or disability)).

This covers a huge number of people and it simply isn't good enough to dismiss the very real risk to these people of being manipulated or coerced into ending their life early.

then simply increase the burden of proof when proving the consent.
Original post by Reluire
I think I addressed a solution to all those problems in my post with reference to rigorous safeguarding and multiple-stage applications that are spread over a relatively long time to ensure that a patient is of sound mind and to ensure that they are an appropriate candidate for euthanasia.

Ah but the problem there is that you create a lengthy system that has two big flaws.

1. Its convoluted. You put more stress (who are in the worst point in their lives) on the client by making them jump through a billion hoops.

2. What if a persons condition deterorates to the point they can not communicate effectively what they wish. Thier mind may well be absolutely fine but the body may have degraded to such a point they cant tell you without severe interpretation. they still want to die but cant tell anyone.

Original post by Vickyc16xx
I think that the person should also be above a certain age.

Really? Why?What age would you propose? Have you ever met a child with a terminal illness? They are very very clued in to whats happening to them, far more mature beyond thier years.

Original post by barnetlad
I am opposed.

I think it would be the slippery slope to some kind of Orwellian nightmare. It might start with people with terminal illnesses who had perhaps a few weeks to live, but then would grow to include others who would live for months if not years, I expect. The experience of the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland seems to bear this out.

I think there would be people who would be put under pressure to make the decision from money grabbing relatives, or just uncaring ones, or even because of their poor living conditions such as in a retirement/nursing home.

But who are we to decide when person with terminal illness can die? Why would a person have to go to a certain point before they are allowed to die? Quality over quantity.

However the second part of your post is my biggest concern as well. This system could (and would, were taking human being heres) very well be abused.
Original post by silverbolt
Ah but the problem there is that you create a lengthy system that has two big flaws.

1. Its convoluted. You put more stress (who are in the worst point in their lives) on the client by making them jump through a billion hoops.

2. What if a persons condition deterorates to the point they can not communicate effectively what they wish. Thier mind may well be absolutely fine but the body may have degraded to such a point they cant tell you without severe interpretation. they still want to die but cant tell anyone.

1. It would have to be regulated in a rigorous way, though. Otherwise we end up in the situation others have described where people can gain clearance for euthanasia at the snap of their fingers. If this isn't properly regulated, it's something that could descend into something very questionable.

2) If I were in control of the legislation, I would say that if one has requested euthanasia but during the application process their health deteriorates to a stage where they cannot confirm that euthanasia is what they still want, I would use the initial request as justified reason to go ahead. If they haven't even requested euthanasia in the first place, then we're looking at a different issue altogether. There has been some interesting research over the last few years that has managed to use brain pulses as a way of communication for those in conditions where they cannot communicate properly, if at all. These pulses flare up when patients hear questions. There's meant to be substantial evidence that this is a sufficient means of communication for the patient to express what they want.
Original post by randdom

There are also issues which it would be hard to legally protect against like elderly or vulnerable people being pushed into making this decision (either intentionally or unintentionally) by family members and feeling like they are a burden (to give just one example).

How often have you seen families force terminal patients to refuse treatment?

As from looking at the precedent set by other countries who have started down this path a lot of them have now gone further

Usually when someone makes an argument like that its to demonstrate how well a policy is working!
Original post by Reluire
1. It would have to be regulated in a rigorous way, though. Otherwise we end up in the situation others have described where people can gain clearance for euthanasia at the snap of their fingers. If this isn't properly regulated, it's something that could descend into something very questionable.

2) If I were in control of the legislation, I would say that if one has requested euthanasia but during the application process their health deteriorates to a stage where they cannot confirm that euthanasia is what they still want, I would use the initial request as justified reason to go ahead. If they haven't even requested euthanasia in the first place, then we're looking at a different issue altogether. There has been some interesting research over the last few years that has managed to use brain pulses as a way of communication for those in conditions where they cannot communicate properly, if at all. These pulses flare up when patients hear questions. There's meant to be substantial evidence that this is a sufficient means of communication for the patient to express what they want.

Regulated yes certainly agree with you but not to the point were it is confusing and distressing to the person involved. They are going through enough. Plus all would happen there is the client just does it to themselves anyway.

As for 2, thats a fair enough point. However in regards to the brain scan for communication, good luck getting that on the NHS
Original post by PQ

You should probably look into the opinions of disabled people on assisted suicide before speaking for them: "the majority of disabled people including three-quarters (72%) of young disabled people are concerned about moves to legalise assisted suicide. ".

There is a significant mismatch between the feelings of disabled people and those of non-disabled people around changes to the law. Presenting the pro-assisted suicide arguments as if you are lobbying on behalf of disabled people is hugely offensive.
Many
disabled
people
have
tried
to get
their
voices heard. (if you only read one of these links I'd recommend this last). Please don't attempt to speak over them.

My personal view is summed up in one of the links above
"We would not give-up on a suicidal person in otherwise good health, we should not give up on a terminally ill or disabled person seeking an assisted death."

And that's speaking as someone who is very likely to be assisting my partner to end his life at some point. He needs protection from the law far more than I ever will. I follow cases of assisted suicide - I've yet to see any convictions of family who are truly acting in the best interests of their loved ones. I'm satisfied that if I'm ever in this position it is RIGHT that the authorities investigate my actions.

I'm not speaking for them, I never mentioned opinions. The majority doesn't matter because it's not a move for the majority.

In addition, when I say disabled I mean these terminal illnesses that are disabling, not simply disabled.

Also I disagree with your view on suicide anyway. Many suicides are motivated by depression etc. and 'fix'able situations. Those who don't have such a luxury I do not see it as giving up whether able-bodied or not.

I for one, when I inevitably enter such a state that I cannot do anything for myself fully intend to be able to either have the option of suicide, or assisted without forcing someone else into an undeserved 'criminal' name.
Well, it's my body and why would I want to suffer and make everyone around me suffer too just because someone dislikes it? There are many people who have severe illnesses with no chance of getting better, their families suffer seeing them crying for help, who would want such life?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending