The Student Room Group

5 pieces of friut and veg per days?

This seems unrealistic as hell, but I'm going to give it ago.. what do I do sit down and eat 2 apples 1 banana and 3 other vegetables every day for the rest of my life? how am I meant to do this? please someone help me to work out a kind of menu or something where I can do this cheaply, with variety.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

1 Glass of this a day .Done :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by T.I.P
This seems unrealistic as hell, but I'm going to give it ago.. what do I do sit down and eat 2 apples 1 banana and 3 other vegetables every day for the rest of my life? how am I meant to do this? please someone help me to work out a kind of menu or something where I can do this cheaply, with variety.

The way I do it, and the easiest way in my mind, is having a piece of fruit either for breakfast or with breakfast such as a banana, I then have an orange during a break or when I'm 'peckish'. My next piece of fruit is a plum/nectarine/peach etc... usually on my way home, a few hours before dinner. And then the last two pieces of fruit are usually for dessert. I try to stick to this as I usually incorporate 'veg' into my evening meal but if this doesn't happen at least i've had my fruit. It helps to change up the fruit your having on a weekly basis, otherwise it gets a bit boring. Most supermarkets reduce fruit on a daily basis towards the evening- so you could pick it up cheap then and buy in bulk. Not really sure this helps but hey ho... it helps to know when to eat the fruit and veg rather than trying to have it all in one sitting.
(edited 9 years ago)
I personally eat a banana with breakfast, 2 pieces of fruit at lunch and then 2 portions of vegetables at dinner.
Reply 4
Original post by ClockEnderAFC
I personally eat a banana with breakfast, 2 pieces of fruit at lunch and then 2 portions of vegetables at dinner.
You make that seem so easy
It is really easy. Especially if juice counts.

I have a banana or two plus a glass of juice with my porridge every morning. That's 2 down and it's only 9am. My main meal usually has at least 3 vegetables in it (especially since pulses count as one) so that's 5 and any fruit or veg I eat in the rest of the day is a bonus.
Reply 6
Original post by 061194

1 Glass of this a day .Done :biggrin:
Full of additives.
If you are finding it difficult to eat 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day, how much do you think you are currently getting then (approximately)? And in what form?
Reply 8
Original post by rotkäppchen
If you are finding it difficult to eat 5 pieces of fruit and veg a day, how much do you think you are currently getting then (approximately)? And in what form?

2 pieces per week on average I used to not eat it atall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Orange juice, + Banana for breakfast. carrots peas and potatoes with dinner, simples. Shmmchhh
Banana in your porridge, apple mid morning, meat/fish and couple veggies for lunch, pear in the afternoon, meat/fish and couple veggies in the evening, orange before bed :wink:. That's like 8, which is how much it actually ought to be.
Reply 11
Original post by Andrew657Thomas
Orange juice, + Banana for breakfast. carrots peas and potatoes with dinner, simples. Shmmchhh

Everyday though???

Posted from TSR Mobile
I make smoothies :love:

- However not everyday! I use a pack of mixed veg in most meals and as for fruit, a glass of orange juice, or maybe tropical/mixed juices? :smile: Light fruits such as apples and strawberries are easy to eat on the go!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
Full of additives.

and full of sugar but missing out on the pulp and fibre of the original fruit , this one is a slightly better alternative
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=277199150
veg with lunch, veg with dinner, a glass of juice here, a couple of satsumas there.... its pretty easy actually.
I don't think, it is possible to have such things daily.
Variety should be there in food, then only we people like to have. It's good to take fruits after having food as well as ice cream.
Noticed how expensive fruit is at the supermarket? And who is it that keeps spamming the ''5 a day'' thing on the telly and suchlike - ''One of your five a day'' little catchphrase they tag on to everything?

Good solid veg are better and cheaper. Less sugar and citric acid for a start.
Reply 17
Original post by frankieboy
Noticed how expensive fruit is at the supermarket? And who is it that keeps spamming the ''5 a day'' thing on the telly and suchlike - ''One of your five a day'' little catchphrase they tag on to everything?

Good solid veg are better and cheaper. Less sugar and citric acid for a start.

You could be onto something tbh, the NHS doesnt market it as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
You could be onto something tbh, the NHS doesnt market it as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A healthy balanced diet is all one needs. All these fad diets and ''five a day'' rubbish sayings are just money making schemes IMHO.
Original post by frankieboy
A healthy balanced diet is all one needs. All these fad diets and ''five a day'' rubbish sayings are just money making schemes IMHO.

I wouldn't say 5 a day is a fad. Huge money isn't to be made from fruit by corporations like the same way protein powder or diet supplements are. A lot of money can be saved and a burden taken off the NHS because of the vast diseases caused by diet-related issues.

It's a decent target for health benefits including obvious ones like skin, which you can feel after 3-4 day of eating veggies and then a week after skimping on them. 3-4 veggies a day would probably be ok. Fruits aren't as nutritious.

Quick Reply