The Student Room Group

Bishop Grosseteste Primary PGCE 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katiiieee
Thank you :smile: That's made me feel more confident!
The interview is on March 3rd so I've got plenty of time to prepare!
Which age did you apply for? I'm going for 3-7.
No idea where I'm going to live if I get a place! I live in Leicester at the moment and it's just a touch too far to commute.

Hi Katiiieee!

I did my degree at BG, graduated last year! They're a nice small knit university, but be warned... their communication isn't always great regarding placements. So you may have to pester them and remind them!

I had my interview for PGCE primary 3-7 for BG on Friday. DON'T PANIC! It really has been the most relaxed interview I've had so far. The staff are lovely and the atmosphere is pretty nice too! :-) My email said about doing our task in front of 8 people, but I ended up doing it in front of 2 other candidates and 2 BG staff (who said they would prefer not to participate and wanted to just watch), as did everyone else that day. I'm only saying this because the girls in my group did an activity that worked well with larger groups and it threw them a bit.

The who day felt pretty nice and informal. The individual interview was a really brief chat, less than 10 minutes... they asked me about effective discipline in the classroom, what my experience with phonics was, why I wanted to teach that age and how my degree related to school.

The maths test was pretty easy, use BBC bitesize if you're a little rusty... it was year 6 maths stuff and it was MULTIPUL CHOICE! :-D Shapes, converting weight and volume, ratio and a couple of word problems. Some of the answers you could find just by eliminating the obvious wrong ones. With the English I panicked and thought I had 30mins for the task, I rushed it and babbled and they only gave you two A4 sides... Turns out we had over an our to do it, so take your time!

I think basically, if you can relate as much as you can to your school experience you'll do fine! :-) Good luck anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back...
Original post by Pumpkin_Spice
Hi Katiiieee!

I did my degree at BG, graduated last year! They're a nice small knit university, but be warned... their communication isn't always great regarding placements. So you may have to pester them and remind them!

I had my interview for PGCE primary 3-7 for BG on Friday. DON'T PANIC! It really has been the most relaxed interview I've had so far. The staff are lovely and the atmosphere is pretty nice too! :-) My email said about doing our task in front of 8 people, but I ended up doing it in front of 2 other candidates and 2 BG staff (who said they would prefer not to participate and wanted to just watch), as did everyone else that day. I'm only saying this because the girls in my group did an activity that worked well with larger groups and it threw them a bit.

The who day felt pretty nice and informal. The individual interview was a really brief chat, less than 10 minutes... they asked me about effective discipline in the classroom, what my experience with phonics was, why I wanted to teach that age and how my degree related to school.

The maths test was pretty easy, use BBC bitesize if you're a little rusty... it was year 6 maths stuff and it was MULTIPUL CHOICE! :-D Shapes, converting weight and volume, ratio and a couple of word problems. Some of the answers you could find just by eliminating the obvious wrong ones. With the English I panicked and thought I had 30mins for the task, I rushed it and babbled and they only gave you two A4 sides... Turns out we had over an our to do it, so take your time!

I think basically, if you can relate as much as you can to your school experience you'll do fine! :-) Good luck anyway, I'm still waiting to hear back...

Thanks :smile: I'm starting to feel more confident about it now!
Have you heard anything back yet? I hope you got a place x
Reply 22
Hi!

I also have my interview on 3rd march so see you there! I'm from Leicester too! Have you got it in the morning or afternoon? I haven't started preparing anything yet, I was meant to go for another PGCE interview tomorrow, I've been preparing for that and I just received an email to say their places are now full!!!
So sorry only just seen your post!
I'm in the morning, how about you? Oh no that's a bit of a nightmare! So annoying :frown:
Reply 24
Yes I'm in the morning too!! Good luck! Hope my nerves don't get the better of me! Not looking forward to the teaching task!! Xx
Eeeee you too! :smile: I'm sure we'll be fine, just gotta try and be confident even if we don't feel it haha! xx
Hi,
Just read your post and was hoping you could help me! I have an interview next week and im so stuck on the presentation did they give you a brief? All it says is 'Please plan an engaging and interactive teaching task for the other candidates on an aspect of the primary national curriculum' and its only 5 minutes long. I was gong to do mine on phonics but I work in a school and the headteacher said that you cant do it as if your teaching children so now I don't have a clue?

any help would be appreciated thanks!
Danielle

Original post by Pumpkin_Spice
Hi Katiiieee!

It is supposed to be done as if you were teaching children, that's what I did anyway and I got a place :smile: phonics should be fine! Some people did maths and others did language but it doesn't really matter what you do just how you do it
ah okay thanks! Did everybody do it as if they were teaching children? Did you give out a worksheet? 5 minutes seems to be no time at all im so stuck on what to do! Some people have said they taught things like origami so its threw me a bit cause that's not really an aspect of the primary curriculum!

Original post by Katiiieee
It is supposed to be done as if you were teaching children, that's what I did anyway and I got a place :smile: phonics should be fine! Some people did maths and others did language but it doesn't really matter what you do just how you do it
Reply 29
Original post by DanielleDurose
Hi,
Just read your post and was hoping you could help me! I have an interview next week and im so stuck on the presentation did they give you a brief? All it says is 'Please plan an engaging and interactive teaching task for the other candidates on an aspect of the primary national curriculum' and its only 5 minutes long. I was gong to do mine on phonics but I work in a school and the headteacher said that you cant do it as if your teaching children so now I don't have a clue?

any help would be appreciated thanks!
Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Loads of people did their presentations on phonics so don't worry. Most likely you will only be presenting to 2-3 other candidates so make sure your task isn't something that involves lots of people. You do need to pretend like you are with children, don't worry about feeling silly as everyone is in the same position as you!

5 minute goes really quickly believe me! Make sure you do a task which is enganging and interactive with the other candidates xx
Thanks for the help! What sort of activities did people do when you had your interview?
Danielle xx

Original post by R28
Hi Danielle,

Loads of people did their presentations on phonics so don't worry. Most likely you will only be presenting to 2-3 other candidates so make sure your task isn't something that involves lots of people. You do need to pretend like you are with children, don't worry about feeling silly as everyone is in the same position as you!

5 minute goes really quickly believe me! Make sure you do a task which is enganging and interactive with the other candidates xx
Reply 31
Thanks for the help! What sort of activities did people do when you had your interview?
Danielle xx

In my group one person did a maths task and used sweets for adding numbers and making the total 10 and someone did it on phonics. They had a song and some props. I did it on 3D shapes, had a feely bag and had the others guess what shapes they were feeling. I think phonics is a good idea though cause the university are big on phonics :smile: I'm sure you will be fine. X
Im probably over thinking it! Thanks for the help! Sorry for all the questions did you explain first what you was going to teach? x

Original post by R28
In my group one person did a maths task and used sweets for adding numbers and making the total 10 and someone did it on phonics. They had a song and some props. I did it on 3D shapes, had a feely bag and had the others guess what shapes they were feeling. I think phonics is a good idea though cause the university are big on phonics :smile: I'm sure you will be fine. X
Reply 33
Lol don't worry I was exactly the same :smile: no you literally go in to ur teaching task straight the way, it's not really a presentation dont know why they call it that. just explain what you are going to be doing and get straight in to it, pretend you were in a classroom with kids and you should be ok!
Im probably over thinking it! Thanks for the help! Sorry for all the questions did you explain first what you was going to teach? x
Sorry me again! ive read in some other forums that before they did there presentation they said what age they would teach it to etc just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? I was just going to start it like today we will be learning...and get straight into it! Also any tips for the maths and English test? Thanks in advance!
Danielle

Original post by R28
Lol don't worry I was exactly the same :smile: no you literally go in to ur teaching task straight the way, it's not really a presentation dont know why they call it that. just explain what you are going to be doing and get straight in to it, pretend you were in a classroom with kids and you should be ok!
Reply 35
Sorry me again! ive read in some other forums that before they did there presentation they said what age they would teach it to etc just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? I was just going to start it like today we will be learning...and get straight into it! Also any tips for the maths and English test? Thanks in advance!
Danielle

Hi, no one in my group did that, they just got straight into it. Their not looking for what you teach I think it's ok as long as it's in the national curriculum, it's more about how you teach it, how you engage and interact with the others. Your enthusiasm, confidence, eye contact etc.
Hey is anybody planning on going to the document day on Sunday 14th June? anyone around the grimsby/cleethorpes/louth area? :smile:
Hi everyone, I had my interview in March and accepted an offer. I was just wondering if anyone has accepted a place? It'd be great to chat to people before we start!
Original post by AlexGrace
Hi everyone, I had my interview in March and accepted an offer. I was just wondering if anyone has accepted a place? It'd be great to chat to people before we start!

Hey I'm going to BGU in September, which course are you doing :smile:
Original post by Milky93
Hey I'm going to BGU in September, which course are you doing :smile:

I'm doing the 3-7 course, which are you doing? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending