The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saifexperts
hi, thank you
I did the reservation already with a company name VitaStudent , I hope I will get the good mark to match my university conditional offer

Brilliant, cant wait to have you with us come September ... Your going to love it here!

Don't worry to much about whether your going to get the grades, I am sure you will ace it!!

Sophie :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Vita Student
Brilliant, cant wait to have you with us come September ... Your going to love it here!

Don't worry to much about whether your going to get the grades, I am sure you will ace it!!

Sophie :smile:

thank you sophie , am sure will enjoy your accommodation but still am so worried hope it will go easy
Hi
I have an offer for dentistry - in terms of accommodation which site is closest to where 1st year dentists will study - I'm assuming that it will be where the medics will be?
Reply 63
Original post by Hardworker?
Hi
I have an offer for dentistry - in terms of accommodation which site is closest to where 1st year dentists will study - I'm assuming that it will be where the medics will be?

Yeah roughly, the Dental department is in the middle of the three hospitals.

Endcliffe and Ranmoor are pretty similar distances away from the dental department. I'd recommend Endcliffe because there are more people there and there's more going on, although both are very nice and modern.
Reply 64
Original post by Stash_Kroh
Hello, I have a few questions about the accommodation at Endcliffe.

I have an unconditional offer so I'll be ready to apply this month but I can't decide between Crewe and Stephenson. Could you please tell me if:

a) Either has a JCR/bar/communal social area (other than the Edge and the kitchen),

b) The division of rooms into flats keeps people from mixing and getting to know most of the building and the people,

c) If those who apply late or go through clearing get placed in Stephenson. I came across a thread on this site where people were saying that they had been placed in Stephenson because it was all that was left when they applied - I had gotten the impression at it was actually a popular choice! I'm just curious as obviously I am excited about Sheffield and would prefer not to live somewhere where the vibe was disappointment.

d) Do the two halls tend to mix since they share the same plot of land?

I'm definitely choosing one of the two as the grounds are really pleasant and I prefer the older, more traditional buildings - I just don't know which to choose.

Thank you for any help :smile:

Hi,

I'm not able to answer about Crewe because I've only been there once, but Stephenson I know.

a) Stephenson has a communal area with darts boards, table tennis, table football, sofas, tables and they occasionally do events like quizes in there. It's nice to have, and things like table tennis bats and balls are provided, but tbh it's not exactly thriving. There are also vending machines, but no bar. The closest as you say is The Edge or pubs like the Fox and Duck.

b) You're kind of right? In freshers, everyone goes everywhere and meets everyone, but people tend to stay with others on their corridor, but it won't stop you making friends elsewhere in the building.

c) Again you're kind of right. People get put in Stephenson through clearing because all of the self catered places are filled up, but the majority want to be there. As to "vibe of disappointment", that's not the vibe at all. Everyone I know who went to Sheffield through clearing is glad they did.

d) Not really, no. Once you get to know people in one, it gets to the point where you're making friends elsewhere (course, clubs etc) so there's no real need to get to know people in the buildings around you. No doubt you'll meet people from the other, but both have loads of people in, don't worry about being lonely!

Any other questions, do ask.

Original post by Lissy14
Does anyone know what sort of kit the mountaineering club has that is available to borrow (if any)? And how safe the kit is? :smile:

Dad said he would get me “all my own stuff” if I get the grades for Sheffield but I am wondering if that is necessary. I mean obviously my own shoes and harness seems like a smart idea and maybe a belay devise, but would my own rope and clips be useful? :s-smilie:

I’m not all that experienced in kit maintenance so I’m not confident I would know when my own kit had reached the end of its life. This makes me think I should just borrow the club stuff… But mum pointed out I wouldn’t even know how old that kit is let alone how safe it is… :wink:

Any insight would be useful! Thanks! ^-^

Hi Lissy,

The mountaineering club (USMC) has loads of kit available for free loan (on club membership) including trad gear, sport gear, bouldering matts, ropes, harnesses (at the beginning, you won't want to wear these!), helmets (same again), crampons, ice axes, ice screws etc. On top of that, the club atmosphere is very friendly and you can often post on the Facebook group asking for something and someone will lend it to you (eg a map or tent). USMC has a Kit and Safety Officer who is experienced in checking the kit, and the club regularly buys new stuff to maintain safety.

I'd say go with what you're doing at the moment: buy shoes, a harness, belay and helmet, then turn up to the freshers events (they'll be posted on that group above). At the freshers events everything else will be provided, and you can get to know people and get further into climbing. After that, buy what you need on a case by case basis. Often on club trips you can borrow stuff, and for indoor climbing you may decide you want a rope when you do leading, but take that as it comes.

If you have any other questions about USMC, do ask.
Original post by Cerdic
Hi,

I'm not able to answer about Crewe because I've only been there once, but Stephenson I know.

a) Stephenson has a communal area with darts boards, table tennis, table football, sofas, tables and they occasionally do events like quizes in there. It's nice to have, and things like table tennis bats and balls are provided, but tbh it's not exactly thriving. There are also vending machines, but no bar. The closest as you say is The Edge or pubs like the Fox and Duck.

b) You're kind of right? In freshers, everyone goes everywhere and meets everyone, but people tend to stay with others on their corridor, but it won't stop you making friends elsewhere in the building.

c) Again you're kind of right. People get put in Stephenson through clearing because all of the self catered places are filled up, but the majority want to be there. As to "vibe of disappointment", that's not the vibe at all. Everyone I know who went to Sheffield through clearing is glad they did.

d) Not really, no. Once you get to know people in one, it gets to the point where you're making friends elsewhere (course, clubs etc) so there's no real need to get to know people in the buildings around you. No doubt you'll meet people from the other, but both have loads of people in, don't worry about being lonely!

Any other questions, do ask.

Hi Lissy,

The mountaineering club (USMC) has loads of kit available for free loan (on club membership) including trad gear, sport gear, bouldering matts, ropes, harnesses (at the beginning, you won't want to wear these!), helmets (same again), crampons, ice axes, ice screws etc. On top of that, the club atmosphere is very friendly and you can often post on the Facebook group asking for something and someone will lend it to you (eg a map or tent). USMC has a Kit and Safety Officer who is experienced in checking the kit, and the club regularly buys new stuff to maintain safety.

I'd say go with what you're doing at the moment: buy shoes, a harness, belay and helmet, then turn up to the freshers events (they'll be posted on that group above). At the freshers events everything else will be provided, and you can get to know people and get further into climbing. After that, buy what you need on a case by case basis. Often on club trips you can borrow stuff, and for indoor climbing you may decide you want a rope when you do leading, but take that as it comes.

If you have any other questions about USMC, do ask.

Thank you!!! ^-^

Why won’t I want to wear a harness? ^-^ Personally I think they are quite useful in stopping me falling to my death :wink:

Does the club do a lot of Ice climbing? I have done it once before but I was a bit hopeless - I hit myself with the axe more times than the ice :wink:.

Ok that is great! And they even have a fancy title for it - ‘Kit and Safety Officer’ that should reassure my folks ^-^.

Helmet, ok thanks! :biggrin: I hadn’t even thought about getting one of those! Are they mainly used in outdoor climbing or do you use them indoors as well?

Are you a member of USMC? :smile:
Reply 66
Original post by Lissy14
Thank you!!! ^-^

Why won’t I want to wear a harness? ^-^ Personally I think they are quite useful in stopping me falling to my death :wink:

Does the club do a lot of Ice climbing? I have done it once before but I was a bit hopeless - I hit myself with the axe more times than the ice :wink:.

Ok that is great! And they even have a fancy title for it - ‘Kit and Safety Officer’ that should reassure my folks ^-^.

Helmet, ok thanks! :biggrin: I hadn’t even thought about getting one of those! Are they mainly used in outdoor climbing or do you use them indoors as well?

Are you a member of USMC? :smile:

It's a question of comfort. The club harnesses are the ones you find at PGL sites or at Scout sites. They're not very comfy and they don't have gear loops, although yes they're preferable to dying I suppose... Just.

The club officially runs two yearly trips to Scotland during which there will be opportunities for ice climbing. These are heavily subsidised and good fun, so well worth going on. Throughout the winter, club members pop off to Scotland, so there are opportunities to join them as well.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that it's "Kit and Safety", but the website only says kit... We've only just elected a new committee at our AGM, but no doubt the website will be updated soon and you'll be able to see the new committee here. For the moment though that's outdated.

You'll want a helmet... Personally, I only wear a helmet for outdoor climbing. I believe when climbing with the club you must wear a helmet outdoors, when climbing indoors it's up to you.

Yes I am :smile:
Reply 67
Nobody has replied to my comment 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Afra123
Hi,

Regarding accommodation, are we allowed to choose who we stay with in uni accommodation? What if he have special circumstances (I.e religious)?

Also are males and females put together in one flat?

Also, what happens if we apply for accommodation but don't get the grades and can't come into the uni - does it get automatically cancelled?

And finally I'm also considering private accommodation - when shall I start looking for this? Is there any point looking and visiting before my A Level grades come out?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accommodation is largely sorted randomly I think, unless you have medical reasons that require you to be in specific flats (ground floor, en-suite, or whatever) but the people with you may not necessary also be in the same boat. If you do have troubles with your flat mates then you can look into requesting a swap if other people are also unhappy, but the majority of students are usually fine. There was no personality questionnaires or anything.

You get a choice between single gender and mixed. Flat sizes are usually 6 or 10, and mainly single gender in 6 and mixed in 10, although there are some where it may be 10 of single gender and so on - it depends on how many people select which preference at the end of the day.

Your accommodation place isn't confirmed until your results go through. Once results day has passed you'll be sent an accommodation contract and allocation, so until then it's sort of "pending" so yeah, it just cancels if you don't end up going.

Any of the student let sites are fine for private accommodation, although i'd be wary of signing a contract without seeing the property as there are a lot of poor quality houses out there. You can always start to look closer to the time but don't sign any contracts until you have your results and are confirmed to be going. The earlier you look however the more chance the properties you visit will have already been taken by the time you're ready to sign.
Reply 69
Original post by Nymthae
Accommodation is largely sorted randomly I think, unless you have medical reasons that require you to be in specific flats (ground floor, en-suite, or whatever) but the people with you may not necessary also be in the same boat. If you do have troubles with your flat mates then you can look into requesting a swap if other people are also unhappy, but the majority of students are usually fine. There was no personality questionnaires or anything.

You get a choice between single gender and mixed. Flat sizes are usually 6 or 10, and mainly single gender in 6 and mixed in 10, although there are some where it may be 10 of single gender and so on - it depends on how many people select which preference at the end of the day.

Your accommodation place isn't confirmed until your results go through. Once results day has passed you'll be sent an accommodation contract and allocation, so until then it's sort of "pending" so yeah, it just cancels if you don't end up going.

Any of the student let sites are fine for private accommodation, although i'd be wary of signing a contract without seeing the property as there are a lot of poor quality houses out there. You can always start to look closer to the time but don't sign any contracts until you have your results and are confirmed to be going. The earlier you look however the more chance the properties you visit will have already been taken by the time you're ready to sign.

Ok thankyou very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 70
Original post by Afra123
Ok thankyou very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To add to that, you can choose things like en-suite or shared bathroom facilities, catered/ non-catered, location (eg Ranmoor, Endcliffe), deluxe/studio/standard room types etc, then it asks you to prioritise which is most important to you, so if you desperately want to live in Endcliffe (good choice), but you're not bothered about what toilet facilities you have, then you can put location as your top priority.
Hi, I firmed my offer from Sheffield about 2 weeks ago, however I didn't recieve an email or any other form of communication from the university. Is this normal?, and will i recieve an email when the accommodation applications open as i don't have my uni ID from the original offer anymore and so was hoping once I firmed my offer i would receive some other email with it in.
Original post by Cerdic
It's a question of comfort. The club harnesses are the ones you find at PGL sites or at Scout sites. They're not very comfy and they don't have gear loops, although yes they're preferable to dying I suppose... Just.

The club officially runs two yearly trips to Scotland during which there will be opportunities for ice climbing. These are heavily subsidised and good fun, so well worth going on. Throughout the winter, club members pop off to Scotland, so there are opportunities to join them as well.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that it's "Kit and Safety", but the website only says kit... We've only just elected a new committee at our AGM, but no doubt the website will be updated soon and you'll be able to see the new committee here. For the moment though that's outdated.

You'll want a helmet... Personally, I only wear a helmet for outdoor climbing. I believe when climbing with the club you must wear a helmet outdoors, when climbing indoors it's up to you.

Yes I am :smile:

Ah I see! Hahaha, it sounds like you have had a bad experience with these harnesses :wink:.

Trips to Scotland sound great! Do you camp there? If you put ‘camping’ and ‘Ice climbing’ in the same sentence, the first thing I think of is ‘frozen lissy’ ^-^.

Do the committee members change often? :smile: Do you have a lot of members? ^-^
Reply 73
Original post by Lissy14
Ah I see! Hahaha, it sounds like you have had a bad experience with these harnesses :wink:.

Trips to Scotland sound great! Do you camp there? If you put ‘camping’ and ‘Ice climbing’ in the same sentence, the first thing I think of is ‘frozen lissy’ ^-^.

Do the committee members change often? :smile: Do you have a lot of members? ^-^

I've never worn them, I came to uni with my own, but having been a Scout I've worn harnesses of a similar ilk. In Scotland as in other trips, accommodation is in a lodge, so nice and toasty after a cold day out :smile: Committee members change yearly before Easter at the AGM, they're voted for by attendees.
I have made Sheffield my Firm choice on UCAS some time ago, however I have not received confirmation from Sheffield. Should I expect a reply from the University?
Reply 75
Original post by tilda bean
I have made Sheffield my Firm choice on UCAS some time ago, however I have not received confirmation from Sheffield. Should I expect a reply from the University?

Hi, I've made Sheffield my firm choice too. I e-mailed the university asking about a confirmation from their side. They don't usually send out letters to students notifying them about the acceptance of offer, it is updated on their database though. Hope that helps! :biggrin:
anyone knows how lenient are they specially if I sent them a medical report as I quit school because of my medical condition and as am inhibiting to eat since December till end of april and am only living on one medical shake powder and water , its really affecting me too much add to this a lot of many tests weekly and heavy medications , any ideas , Iam really want to firm sheffield and They know my condition and not hear from them about how lenient they will be ??
Original post by Cerdic
I've never worn them, I came to uni with my own, but having been a Scout I've worn harnesses of a similar ilk. In Scotland as in other trips, accommodation is in a lodge, so nice and toasty after a cold day out :smile: Committee members change yearly before Easter at the AGM, they're voted for by attendees.

Ah I see ^-^

Well thanks for answering all my questions! (I know they probably seem kinda trivial) :wink:

Hope to see you next year! ^-^
Original post by Stash_Kroh
Hello, I have a few questions about the accommodation at Endcliffe.

I have an unconditional offer so I'll be ready to apply this month but I can't decide between Crewe and Stephenson. Could you please tell me if:

a) Either has a JCR/bar/communal social area (other than the Edge and the kitchen),

b) The division of rooms into flats keeps people from mixing and getting to know most of the building and the people,

c) If those who apply late or go through clearing get placed in Stephenson. I came across a thread on this site where people were saying that they had been placed in Stephenson because it was all that was left when they applied - I had gotten the impression at it was actually a popular choice! I'm just curious as obviously I am excited about Sheffield and would prefer not to live somewhere where the vibe was disappointment.

d) Do the two halls tend to mix since they share the same plot of land?

I'm definitely choosing one of the two as the grounds are really pleasant and I prefer the older, more traditional buildings - I just don't know which to choose.

Thank you for any help :smile:

Good morning :smile:

I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I've been working away from the office with limited Internet access so I'm a bit behind on the forum. I'm really pleased that you're coming to Sheffield and we look forward to seeing you in September! Picking up on your Qs:

a) Stephenson and Crewe are based in some lovely old houses (http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/maps/stephenson and http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/maps/crewe). Years ago, these residences used to have their own social committees and JCR. However, they are now part of the Endcliffe Village and students from Stephenson and Crewe can use The Edge as much as students who live in the purpose built flats. So you're right that the main communal areas are the kitchens in each flat and The Edge. Endcliffe is very close to one of our other villages, Ranmoor, and you can also use Ranmoor's bar, The Ridge.

b) In terms of meeting people, a top tip from our students is that when you move in, wedge your room door open as it encourages people to put their head around the door and say 'hello'! We also encourage students to pop upstairs and introduce themselves to the flat above and the flat below (ground/top floor flat issues notwithstanding!). Our Accommodation service is also very good at setting up Facebook groups that enable you to meet your future flat mates and talking to them before you come.

The other easy way to meet people who live in university accommodation is to get involved in the Residence Life activities: http://browzer.co.uk/shef

c) I know it's a cliche, but uni life really is what you make it. If you make the effort with your flat mates, then your uni experience should be great (so don't be put off Stephenson :smile:)

d) In terms of how much people from Crewe and Stephenson mix, that will all depend on the students who move in that year and the friendships that develop. For example, if you live in Stephenson and a friend from your course or a society you join lives in Crewe, it's very likely that you'll get to know each other's flat mates and have some great nights out. Equally, on move-in day, you may end up being parked next to someone who is moving into Crewe and you end up having a chat and a cup of tea!

I hope that's helped and apologies again for the delay.

Enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend.

Best regards

Elizabeth

UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
Original post by mattrod11
Hi I've got an AAB offer from Sheffield for BA Business Management and Economics, but I think I'm more likely to get ABB. I was just wondering if anyone knows if they are in any way lenient and if you think I'd get in with ABB? Any help would be great, cheers!

Hi :smile:

I'm sorry for the delay in picking up on this question but thank you for asking it as I think this is something a lot of students are curious about.

We don't know until we get everyone's A level results in August if we'll be able to accept people who fall slightly short of their offers. We like to be flexible where we can, especially when students have shown their commitment to us by picking us as their firm choice, but it all depends on how many places we have left once we have confirmed those who accept our offer and then meet their conditions. Another key factor is which grades the department and university are happy to accept.

We generally advise that it’s a good idea to have a safe insurance choice with lower grades just in case things don’t go according to plan, but if you put the work in, hopefully all will be well and we'll see you in September!

Have a good BH weekend.

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending