The Student Room Group

Anyone feeling demotivated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by JamboGooner
Hi guys, I'm so demotivated, but at the same time really stressed and worried.

I've got 8 exams coming up in June, and I've only fully completed revision for 2 of the exams. I've set a target to finish all content revision by the end of April, but now that seems like such a tough target because that means I've got 6 exams to revise for in 30 days alongside past papers for the other 2.

I panic sometimes and feel really worried/helpless. What should I do? Is my situation salvageable?

I'd say you should plan your day thoroughly: when making a revision timetable, make sure you know what topics you are doing per revision session and take breaks occasionally (e.g. 20 minutes break per hour of revision). Spend time doing loads of past papers.

Also, don't spend every day of the week revising, make sure you are taking some time off doing something fun, otherwise you'd end up overworking and feeling more stressed.
Original post by kkboyk
I'd say you should plan your day thoroughly: when making a revision timetable, make sure you know what topics you are doing per revision session and take breaks occasionally (e.g. 20 minutes break per hour of revision). Spend time doing loads of past papers.

Also, don't spend every day of the week revising, make sure you are taking some time off doing something fun, otherwise you'd end up overworking and feeling more stressed.

Okay that sounds good. I've already got a decent timetable sorted which I've been sticking to for around a month now and that's helped me get through the 2 exams. It's just I've got 6 more to finish and my first exam is in June so I'm worried I won't have finished all the content and moved on to papers in sufficient time before then.

I do around 2-3 hours of revision for a subject, then take a 30minute break and move on to the next subject. I'm doing about 6-7 hours a day of revision now. I guess I should try and take some time off to do other stuff and relax, but when I do that I feel like I'm wasting my time :frown: More recently I work the whole day, then watch something on Netflix, then review notes and go to sleep.
Original post by Wolftablet
thats how i feel about chemistry and maths s1 and c4.

Sigh. :frown:
I was unmotivated to some extent, then I got an unconditional offer which has made it so much worse, my head of year wants me to drop a subject because I'm achieving under my target grades, this late in the year I know. I'm practically running through the 6th (form) with my woes.
Reply 104
Okay that sounds good. I've already got a decent timetable sorted which I've been sticking to for around a month now and that's helped me get through the 2 exams. It's just I've got 6 more to finish and my first exam is in June so I'm worried I won't have finished all the content and moved on to papers in sufficient time before then.

I do around 2-3 hours of revision for a subject, then take a 30minute break and move on to the next subject. I'm doing about 6-7 hours a day of revision now. I guess I should try and take some time off to do other stuff and relax, but when I do that I feel like I'm wasting my time :frown: More recently I work the whole day, then watch something on Netflix, then review notes and go to sleep.

That's a bit too much. You should definitely take breaks every hour or so. We all feel like we're wasting time when we try to relax, rather than seeing it as a way to avoid revision you should see it as an utmost necessity.
Yeah i feel so today because i worked hard for m'y exam and thé results aren't good !i feel lost!
Original post by kkboyk
That's a bit too much. You should definitely take breaks every hour or so. We all feel like we're wasting time when we try to relax, rather than seeing it as a way to avoid revision you should see it as an utmost necessity.

I really want to feel relaxed and agree with you, but I don't know. I'm essentially starting form scratch for a few of my exams because I've forgotten what I've learned throughout the year in some cases. It's meant that I'm basically self-teaching myself again.

Would you say 1 and a half months is still enough time to cover 6 exams worth of content if I do less than 6 hours a day?
Reply 107
I really want to feel relaxed and agree with you, but I don't know. I'm essentially starting form scratch for a few of my exams because I've forgotten what I've learned throughout the year in some cases. It's meant that I'm basically self-teaching myself again.

Would you say 1 and a half months is still enough time to cover 6 exams worth of content if I do less than 6 hours a day?

Well I have 10, and I'm planning on covering every topic for all of them by the end of Easter holidays (already covered two of my subjects worth with one having 3 exams and the other 2, just two more subjects to go); so yes it's doable.

Force yourself to relax, and have fun!
Reply 108
Original post by Oumaima1
Yeah i feel so today because i worked hard for m'y exam and thé results aren't good !i feel lost!

Do you know particularly why you are feeling lost? as in do you know where you went wrong?
Original post by kkboyk
Do you know particularly why you are feeling lost? as in do you know where you went wrong?

Oh yes,definitely..i focused on thermodynamics,didn't get well on m'y chemistry which could have saved me some points..I feel lost kinda,i hate doing efforts without getting what i want..M'y résolution,after 3hours of démotivation and lost :I will work harder to reach that ****** engineering school,i will make it so better next time!
sadly my motivation and need for me to be motivated are inversely proportional.
Looking for jobs, but I just see so few applicable vacancies. Keep applying but hearing nothing back. Unemployment sucks!
Original post by Swanbow
Looking for jobs, but I just see so few applicable vacancies. Keep applying but hearing nothing back. Unemployment sucks!

Same situation, I'm literally so bored with my life right now, just need a job or for September to hurry up so I can go back to uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mock grades completely sucked and I'm so worried that I'll get a repeat for the real ones.
Coursework grades are actually killing me in physics and chem. Can't afford to let them pull down my overall grade.
I need to get at least AABB to be even considered to my dream Uni's; Warwick,Durham etc.
Life sucks.
Original post by scrunkie
Same situation, I'm literally so bored with my life right now, just need a job or for September to hurry up so I can go back to uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is absolutely horrible just spending every day looking for work and getting nowhere. The boredom and despair is unbearable.

Your university has broken up well early, its only March :lol: But best of luck finding a job during the break.
Reply 115
Original post by Chellecharity
My mock grades completely sucked and I'm so worried that I'll get a repeat for the real ones.
Coursework grades are actually killing me in physics and chem. Can't afford to let them pull down my overall grade.
I need to get at least AABB to be even considered to my dream Uni's; Warwick,Durham etc.
Life sucks.

What course are you thinking of doing? I might apply for Maths at both those uni.

Original post by Swanbow

I've went through that last summer. I ended up attending two pointless interviews.
Original post by Swanbow
It is absolutely horrible just spending every day looking for work and getting nowhere. The boredom and despair is unbearable.

Your university has broken up well early, its only March :lol: But best of luck finding a job during the break.

Yeah it's the boredom that's getting to me! I've started wasting my days watching youtube videos of other people being productive hah!

Oh noo!! I left my last University & course and reapplied this year for a new one, so that's why I'm off early. Although the other people still on my old course are all off for Easter which is basically forever, bar the 3 exams they have, so I guess the only difference is they have revision and I don't xD
Reply 117
Original post by Wolftablet
sadly my motivation and need for me to be motivated are inversely proportional.

Look on the bright side.
Reply 118
Original post by kkboyk
Every Sundays I instantly give up when I start writing an essay. So I end up doing something entirely different, and postpone my essay until the day it's due :colondollar:

Why don't you try 24houranswers.com . You might as well use the discount code NSU7Z. :wink:
Reply 119
Original post by Mr Joe
Why don't you try 24houranswers.com . You might as well use the discount code NSU7Z. :wink:

Thanks, but I'd rather write my own one.

Quick Reply

Latest