AntW161
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Turns out I got a new job the day I passed, so I've convinced my parents into a short term loan :P I'm looking to spend about 1k-1.5k, looking at Fiesta's mostly, don't look too bad and ford's not that bad afaik. The vehicles have like 90k miles and are mostly 05-06 plates. Ideal first car? I'd need it to last 3 years - the duration of my apprenticeship, it's all german after that.
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends totally on the condition of the individual car. Nobody on here can tell you that a ten year old Fiesta with 90k on the clock will last you 3 years!

It's likely that you'll run into some fairly expensive problems over that time.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As said above, without seeing the condition of the vehicle with our own eyes, nobody can guess how long it will last.

With 90k miles at that age, most will have a lot of wear and tear. You need to buy based on condition, and what parts/consumables have been recently replaced - things like clutches/timing belts etc.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also read up about common problems affecting the MK6 Fiesta on owners clubs/forums, and keep them in mind when inspecting the car.

Some listed here, but make sure you do your research:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums...rd-fiesta-mk6/
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Chances are it'll be a pile of crap. A city car with a tiny overworked engine with lots of miles on the clock doesn't exactly sound like a recipe for success...

You need to be prepared to travel.
Get yourself on autotrader and see what's out there.

Here's 3 older fiesta's and a couple of Micra's which fit your budget and more importantly actually look like they'll last the course without too much in the way of expenditure.
The third fiesta would be my choice. If you look after it, keep it serviced you'll possibly turn a profit on it when you sell it given that anything old with a ford badge will eventually graduate to "scene tax" status...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...cars?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...2000?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
JC - why on earth would you recommend a cheap hatchback from almost the 80's? (Referring to the third fiesta). Purely for the purpose of saving a few hundred quid over the course of 3 years you will have to put up with a crap car.

It will probably be an unreliable heap, it looks like it has a carby-engine so it will get low MPG, can easily be stolen, no safety features (not even ABS probably)... The list goes on.

The first Fiesta you posted seems OK however.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AntW161)
Turns out I got a new job the day I passed, so I've convinced my parents into a short term loan :P I'm looking to spend about 1k-1.5k, looking at Fiesta's mostly, don't look too bad and ford's not that bad afaik. The vehicles have like 90k miles and are mostly 05-06 plates. Ideal first car? I'd need it to last 3 years - the duration of my apprenticeship, it's all german after that.
Either a nissan micra or a hyundai getz
They are both really reliable and you should be able to get plenty of them within your budget.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
JC - why on earth would you recommend a cheap hatchback from almost the 80's? (Referring to the third fiesta). Purely for the purpose of saving a few hundred quid over the course of 3 years you will have to put up with a crap car.

It will probably be an unreliable heap, it looks like it has a carby-engine so it will get low MPG, can easily be stolen, no safety features (not even ABS probably)... The list goes on.

The first Fiesta you posted seems OK however.
Ford Kent engine. Good for 200k. Fuel economy will be high 30's low 40's.
That car was a bargain. It's sold already and I'm not surprised. In 3 years that'll be worth double what they were asking for it which is like getting your tax and insurance back.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Ford Kent engine. Good for 200k. Fuel economy will be high 30's low 40's.
Somehow doubt the fuel economy will be that high. Either way, its far too outdated. The 1.4 Duratec engine in the Fiesta is extremely reliable, achieves higher MPG, and isn't as gutless.

(Original post by JC.)
That car was a bargain.
For a collector maybe. But not for the average buyer who wants the most car for their dollar.
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Somehow doubt the fuel economy will be that high. Either way, its far too outdated. The 1.4 Duratec engine in the Fiesta is extremely reliable, achieves higher MPG, and isn't as gutless.
You can doubt all you like. The fact a car has a carb doesn't make it poor on fuel. Performance won't be too dissimilar. The older model does have a weight advantage.

For a collector maybe. But not for the average buyer who wants the most car for their dollar.
If you want bang for buck, fiesta's indeed all little hatchbacks ain't the place to look full stop!

You're in the "if it's old, it's **** camp" so no amount of explanation will convince you otherwise. But that's OK with me. The more folk think like that, the easier it is for folk like me to get their hands on cool stuff.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JC.)
Performance won't be too dissimilar. The older model does have a weight advantage.
Well the newer engine has 26 more horsepower. So it is nearly 50% more powerful than the older engine - such a large difference will definitely be noticeable in day to day usage. In terms of weight advantage, the older model isn't anywhere close to 50% lighter.

If the OP is doing lots of motorway miles, even more reason to avoid the old one.

(Original post by JC.)
If you want bang for buck, fiesta's indeed all little hatchbacks ain't the place to look full stop!
Agree with this, 90'x luxury barges (e.g. Lexus/Honda Legend) are where its at (at that price range).

(Original post by JC.)
You're in the "if it's old, it's **** camp" so no amount of explanation will convince you otherwise. But that's OK with me. The more folk think like that, the easier it is for folk like me to get their hands on cool stuff.
Far from it actually.

I generally don't mind old cars (and in fact would love to buy a 60's/70's yank muscle car in the future). But I especially do not like 'on a budget' old stuff.
AntW161
Rep:
?
Well I got one, 54 plate Fiesta 1.4 Zetec, had one previous owner, everything looked tidy, few marks here and there. The woman refused to let me have a little go, which is a good thing I suppose. I haven't drove it but my granddad has and said it's a nippy little thing.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well I got one, 54 plate Fiesta 1.4 Zetec, had one previous owner, everything looked tidy, few marks here and there. The woman refused to let me have a little go, which is a good thing I suppose. I haven't drove it but my granddad has and said it's a nippy little thing.
Enjoy.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It isnt always a good thing.
It could be because they are hiding something (i.e. something wrong with the car).
drewBusby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
HPI clear as well?
AntW161
Rep:
?
Yeah I checked it out. She didn't for insurance reasons, my experienced granddad however can drive any insured car and he tested it, said he wouldn't expect anything better for the price.
AntW161
Rep:
?
Mine says Duratech under the hood, is that a good thing? I'm confident it actually is duratech.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
75.41%
No I haven't decided yet (9)
14.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
9.84%

Watched Threads