The Student Room Group

Hate my part time job !?

I have been promoted to team leader earlier this year and my job is security mainly based on sport events I mainly wokr weekends. Since the promotion there were one or two things I did not know and a few things I was bound to get wrong, and when I would ask questions no one would tell me.

If I do something, such as making my own decision like telling staff underneath me to speak to a fan, one of the team leaders throws a fit, saying how I shouldnt have done that and makes it out that its wrong. However there is nothing wrong with me doing that. My other team leader said just ignore him.

Before I had an incident, where out of the blue someone had a problem with me, I never said anything to him and he began to threaten me and said how he would knock me out outside. Others were aggrivating me to fight back in order to make me look bad. I left it and walked away.

Now since im at uni and have deadlines, I'll miss one or two shifts and the staff there will make such a big deal out of it, its only one or two shifts and there are other staff to cover it.

The staff there are the ones who dropped out of school and live in council estates. There are envious of me that im at uni and im a team leader. Sometimes they dont even listen to me to make me look bad. When I go in I try to talk to some but they dont make any effort back.

I used to really enjoy the job before, but since the promotion it has been a downward spiral and so many challenges mainly with staff and less related to the job.

What can I do ?

Scroll to see replies

Can you quit?
Or go to your boss and tell them the situation.
Original post by IMBCFC
I have been promoted to team leader earlier this year and my job is security mainly based on sport events I mainly wokr weekends. Since the promotion there were one or two things I did not know and a few things I was bound to get wrong, and when I would ask questions no one would tell me.

If I do something, such as making my own decision like telling staff underneath me to speak to a fan, one of the team leaders throws a fit, saying how I shouldnt have done that and makes it out that its wrong. However there is nothing wrong with me doing that. My other team leader said just ignore him.

Before I had an incident, where out of the blue someone had a problem with me, I never said anything to him and he began to threaten me and said how he would knock me out outside. Others were aggrivating me to fight back in order to make me look bad. I left it and walked away.

Now since im at uni and have deadlines, I'll miss one or two shifts and the staff there will make such a big deal out of it, its only one or two shifts and there are other staff to cover it.

The staff there are the ones who dropped out of school and live in council estates. There are envious of me that im at uni and im a team leader. Sometimes they dont even listen to me to make me look bad. When I go in I try to talk to some but they dont make any effort back.

I used to really enjoy the job before, but since the promotion it has been a downward spiral and so many challenges mainly with staff and less related to the job.

What can I do ?

Don't let the ****ers get to you. Keep doing what you're doing, don't let it affect your university work, graduate with flying colours and wave goodbye to their sweet council estate arses.
Original post by IMBCFC

What can I do ?

In theory :

Speak to the boss and make a formal complaint. If that doesn't work take it further up... Write a diary of what happens as well as evidence.

In reality :

I don't think anyone will listen to you if you do complain...

Try not to let them get to you. Easier sakd than done tbh. Try and look for another job, again easier said than done.

Perhaps... See it in a different way. Instead of thinking I used to enjoy this, why do people treat me like this? See it as a way to make money... Nothing more. Don't see it as an enjoyable task. See it as something you need to do to get you somewhere e.g clothes or a holiday or anything...

Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's what you for working in a **** line of work like security. Nothing but uneducated peasants with no leadership skills there. Find a job in an office.
Reply 5
The main thing I enjoy is the football matches. If worse comes to worse ill probably buy a season ticket. As it's something to look foward to on a Saturday. When I first started it wasn't mainly for the money, just something to do. But one more crack out of anyone and that'll be the last straw. I'll get management involved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC

This is rather a poor attitude. It may only be one or two shifts to you, but you have basically let down the people who are employing you and those in your charge. Why should they treat you with any respect if you don't even bother to turn up to work? If you feel your coursework it more important, then why did you take the job in the first place? As a more senior member of the team it is for you to set an example and lead from the front. Not turning up and expecting others to do your job for you is not going to put you in good stead.

You need to sort out that attitude before you come to get a proper job because if one of my grads had that kind of attitude, they would be shown the door pretty sharpish.
Reply 7
Original post by ByEeek
This is rather a poor attitude. It may only be one or two shifts to you, but you have basically let down the people who are employing you and those in your charge. Why should they treat you with any respect if you don't even bother to turn up to work? If you feel your coursework it more important, then why did you take the job in the first place? As a more senior member of the team it is for you to set an example and lead from the front. Not turning up and expecting others to do your job for you is not going to put you in good stead.

You need to sort out that attitude before you come to get a proper job because if one of my grads had that kind of attitude, they would be shown the door pretty sharpish.

I'm second in charge. How is it letting everyone down ? When someone capable is there to cover it ? That's not an issue even before the manager said if you have uni or anything else it's ok. These types of security jobs are part time for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC

What can I do ?

I agree with the above poster - one or two shifts to you may be fine to you but to an employer it's incredibly irritating to cover. This is possibly a reason for the resentment. Also, I get the impression you maybe act like a judgemental petulant little child
'The staff there are the ones who dropped out of school and live in council estates. There are envious of me that im at uni and im a team leader'
There is nothing wrong living on a council estate, and you don't know their reasons for not attending university themselves.
At the end of the day, you get no respect if you deserve no respect. As a team-leader, you need to find effective ways to communicate with your staff. Judging them isn't the way.
Original post by ByEeek

Very well said.
Original post by mrstudenttsr
I agree with the above poster - one or two shifts to you may be fine to you but to an employer it's incredibly irritating to cover. This is possibly a reason for the resentment. Also, I get the impression you maybe act like a judgemental petulant little child
'The staff there are the ones who dropped out of school and live in council estates. There are envious of me that im at uni and im a team leader'
There is nothing wrong living on a council estate, and you don't know their reasons for not attending university themselves.
At the end of the day, you get no respect if you deserve no respect. As a team-leader, you need to find effective ways to communicate with your staff. Judging them isn't the way.

I try to make an effort to talk but they ignore me. What am I supposed to do ? Stand there ? I've made enough effort to speak to them and they don't reciprocate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not hard to cover the shift as I do it myself ! Like I said there is someone available to do it. The manager in charge of everything we hardly see him. Oh yeah I asked them why they left school and they said 'couldn't be asked'. That's not a poor attitude is it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
when u say u missed shifts, did u tell them in advance so they could arrange cover or just not turn up?
at the end of the day your co-workers will most likely be reliant on their job and some possibly should have been promoted instead of you - since when u graduate u will not be working there so you have potentially taken one of their jobs away from them (which is how they may see it)
being someone's boss can go one of two ways, you can either be strict and not treat them as a friend or be friendly towards them. so next time you are telling them to do something and they don't do it (check with your boss first) issue them a warning - u wont make friends but its obvious they don't respect u so either become their friend or their boss/enemy
and yes u sound a little snooty about their education - yes they may say they 'couldn't be a*sed' but maybe deep down its something else and that's an easier answer? maybe they weren't intelligent enough or didn't have the same opportunity as u? not everyone can afford to go to uni and I know plenty of people who dropped out of school living in council estates who earn lots more than me (and I have a masters and i'm in a degree related job)
Original post by IMBCFC
It's not hard to cover the shift as I do it myself ! Like I said there is someone available to do it. The manager in charge of everything we hardly see him. Oh yeah I asked them why they left school and they said 'couldn't be asked'. That's not a poor attitude is it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You seem to have a knack of shifting blame and responsibility around. 'Oh they can cover my shift' 'The manager is hardly ever around' 'They complain to me' etc etc etc.
Take some responsibility. In two messages I have had with you (and the thread) I can tell I wouldn't want to work with you, because I think you probably boast the fact that you're the boss and at university.
You seem to have a knack of shifting blame and responsibility around. 'Oh they can cover my shift' 'The manager is hardly ever around' 'They complain to me' etc etc etc.
Take some responsibility. In two messages I have had with you (and the thread) I can tell I wouldn't want to work with you, because I think you probably boast the fact that you're the boss and at university.

Lmao when I have never boasted about it to people at work its them saying things like oh he's at uni so didn't come in. If you started off as polite and well mannered with your staff and they didn't listen to you and you still made an effort to speak to them and they will ignore you. Then someone starts an argument threatening to 'sort you out' over something you didn't do. Wouldn't you be annoyed about it ?

Shift covering is not a problem, and i only missed one shift all year and the other two or three I might miss will be later on in the year possibly due to assignments and dissertation deadlines.

Which other messages have u had with me ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMBCFC
I'm second in charge. How is it letting everyone down ? When someone capable is there to cover it ? That's not an issue even before the manager said if you have uni or anything else it's ok. These types of security jobs are part time for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

In a nutshell, what you have just said there is "I don't give a sh1t!" You may not think that is the message you are sending, but it is. And that is a perfectly acceptable position to take. But if you don't give a sh1t about the job or your peers, why should anyone give a sh1t about you?

In life, you only get out of something what you put in. You are putting nothing into this job and then whining about the fact that you are getting nothing out of it. What do you expect? For people to kiss your ass?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hydrogirl_13
when u say u missed shifts, did u tell them in advance so they could arrange cover or just not turn up?
at the end of the day your co-workers will most likely be reliant on their job and some possibly should have been promoted instead of you - since when u graduate u will not be working there so you have potentially taken one of their jobs away from them (which is how they may see it)
being someone's boss can go one of two ways, you can either be strict and not treat them as a friend or be friendly towards them. so next time you are telling them to do something and they don't do it (check with your boss first) issue them a warning - u wont make friends but its obvious they don't respect u so either become their friend or their boss/enemy
and yes u sound a little snooty about their education - yes they may say they 'couldn't be a*sed' but maybe deep down its something else and that's an easier answer? maybe they weren't intelligent enough or didn't have the same opportunity as u? not everyone can afford to go to uni and I know plenty of people who dropped out of school living in council estates who earn lots more than me (and I have a masters and i'm in a degree related job)

I told them in advance I wasn't going to come in. I just don't like the fact I'm being ignored despite how much I try with them.

Apologies about slagging them off about their education I didn't think of it that way. But their attitude is bad to don't you think ? Not listening to your boss over stupid reasons. It's a security environment where you need to work together and not be up tight about it. If anything goes wrong we could get assaulted because someone wasn't listening or didn't like me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ByEeek
In a nutshell, what you have just said there is "I don't give a sh1t!" You may not think that is the message you are sending, but it is. And that is a perfectly acceptable position to take. But if you don't give a sh1t about the job or your peers, why should anyone give a sh1t about you?

In life, you only get out of something what you put in. You are putting nothing into this job and then whining about the fact that you are getting nothing out of it. What do you expect? For people to kiss your ass?

Are you having a laugh ? Listen ive been here for 4 years and I do work hard, I always come on time and try to be respectful to my colleagues and they dont speak much to me. Some of the staff and other team leaders come in drunk or high. I always used to work in between my school work and uni work with this job and now that I need some time to do some work which is part of my final year and an important module, theres no hassle in not coming in for this reason it happens often with other staff too.

Like I said its security where you have a lot of other staff do deal with issues, the problem of covering shifts dosent concern the managers as it would in say a retail environment.

All I was saying was that since im new in this promotion I needed some advice and help on a few things at work but no one bothered to tell me out of arrogance or whatever their stupid reasons would be. Not only that even if I try I dont get anywhere. Like I said before covering shifts is not an issue however the staff will use it as an excuse to slag me off and its not even the management, its the staff I work with the management are fine with it, secondly its not like I do it all the time.

All I was saying I get a bull**** for no reason
Original post by ByEeek

It seems the big mouths have gone quiet now......
Original post by IMBCFC
It seems the big mouths have gone quiet now......

I just gave up trying to help you - though with your bitchy comment here, you've just proven my initial point. Hope all works out well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending