The Student Room Group

Feeling indecisive... Business School

I'm feeling conflicted as to which university I should go to. I want to pursue a career in business and marketing. Where would you go assuming you had offers at these following universities:

- LSE & University of Southern California (Dual Degree in MSc Media and Communication)
- King's College London (MSc International Marketing)
- Imperial College London (MSc Strategic Marketing)
- Cass Business School (MSc Strategic Marketing and Innovation)
- Warwick (MSc Business - Marketing)
- Queen Mary (MSc Marketing)

I feel like in terms of job prospects its LSE & USC > Imperial > Kings > Warwick > Cass > Queen Mary

Thanks for your help!
I would choose King's. Considered applying there as well. Imperial is more practical and King's is more theoretical, I think. Basically depends on what you prefer. I didn't look that much into the other courses. LSE is a good really good uni but I'm not sure if it the best course for Marketing..

Look at the courses, the structure, content etc. and see what you prefer..

Anyway. I'm going to Uni of Edinburgh for Marketing Msc. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kigundersengen
I would choose King's. Considered applying there as well. Imperial is more practical and King's is more theoretical, I think. Basically depends on what you prefer. I didn't look that much into the other courses. LSE is a good really good uni but I'm not sure if it the best course for Marketing..

Look at the courses, the structure, content etc. and see what you prefer..

Anyway. I'm going to Uni of Edinburgh for Marketing Msc. :smile:

I was feeling the same about LSE regarding Marketing but then I read this: http://uk.businessinsider.com/linkedin-ranks-top-25-uk-universities-for-marketing-jobs-2014-11
However, LSE doesn't have a Marketing program. The closest one that goes near Marketing is their MSc Media and Communication or MSc Management. Im wondering which program the website is talking about.
Reply 3
up :frown:
Let's be honest - the content of similar degrees is going to be pretty much the same. At masters level nightlife, extracurricular activities, accommodation etc are all largely irrelevant. So the decision really boils down to 'which university has the better network/connections/prospects in my chosen field and location'. Sometimes you will know this, often you won't. One method is to ask people you know working in the field you want to go into, another is use LinkedIn and filters to see which university/course has the most people doing a job you want. This isn't fool-proof by any means, but can give you a quick rough-and-ready indication of where might be a better option. If all else fails and you genuinely can't decide between options then go and visit and get a feel for the place - first impressions are generally right. Just remember - don't stress too much because there's normally no 'right' or 'wrong' choice, and it's up to you what you make of yourself after the course. Good luck!
Reply 5
Thanks for your answer. But then again, despite your interesting advice, what would YOU choose if you wanted to pursue a career in business?
Original post by davidolce
Thanks for your answer. But then again, despite your interesting advice, what would YOU choose if you wanted to pursue a career in business?

What I would choose is irrelevant, because you and I have made different choices and doubtless have different goals. I'm doing a part-time MBA alongside my job.
Reply 7
Hi guys,
i am new to the forum and looking for some opinions regarding my course choice for an MSc this year.

short background info:
1. BSc International Business from German university (2nd upper)
2. >1 year work experience in Singapore (project role in Logistics)
3. no GMAT
4. interested to go into management consulting (preferably strategy at one of MBB, but also consider "smaller" consulting firms) after graduation, either in UK or abroad in Switzerland/US.
5. intend to do MBA or Executive Programme in 4-5 years in Europe or US

=> due to unsatisfactory work situation i applied for some courses and got offers from the following:

WBS - Business Consulting (26k, 50% tuition fee scholarship)
Cranfield - Management and Economics (11k, small bursary)
MBS - Business Analysis and Strategic Management (15k, no scholarship yet)
Imperial - Economics and Strategy for Business (24k, shortlisted and interviewed but still waiting for reply)

Location doesnt play a role for me.
I want a MSc with practical focus at a school with top career service and professional development, a MSc which is highly employable and globally recognized.

Given my background and ambitions, I appreciate if you can give your opinions and advice what would be the best option.
Thanks for any feedback.
Reply 8
Original post by Duncan2012
What I would choose is irrelevant, because you and I have made different choices and doubtless have different goals. I'm doing a part-time MBA alongside my job.

I see. But for example, if you look at the MSc at LSE which is in media and communication, do you think it's worth it even though it's very theoretical and less focused on marketing? Simply because its brand name is prestigious?
Original post by davidolce
I see. But for example, if you look at the MSc at LSE which is in media and communication, do you think it's worth it even though it's very theoretical and less focused on marketing? Simply because its brand name is prestigious?

I'm not going to tell you what you should do - you need to figure out how important having a particular university's name on your cv will be, depending on what you intend doing afterwards. I would suggest you need to enjoy what you're studying, otherwise it'll be a very tough year.
Reply 10
up
So you want someone to spoonfeed you the answer? You're on your own then.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Have you considered an MSc Project Management? I am the Head of the Centre for Professional Studies at Royal Holloway, University of London. The Centre has a Project Management programme which is a mixture of theory taught by academics and practical examples by expert practitioners. You will also gain a Prince2 qualification which is industry recognised worldwide.
Royal Holloway has an exceptional careers service which is augmented by the links our lecturers and practitioners have into business. This has lead to a very high level of employment post study. We are approached regularly by companies wishing to employ our students once they have completed their studies. If you want further details let me know.
Original post by Duncan2012
Let's be honest - the content of similar degrees is going to be pretty much the same. At masters level nightlife, extracurricular activities, accommodation etc are all largely irrelevant. So the decision really boils down to 'which university has the better network/connections/prospects in my chosen field and location'. Sometimes you will know this, often you won't. One method is to ask people you know working in the field you want to go into, another is use LinkedIn and filters to see which university/course has the most people doing a job you want. This isn't fool-proof by any means, but can give you a quick rough-and-ready indication of where might be a better option. If all else fails and you genuinely can't decide between options then go and visit and get a feel for the place - first impressions are generally right. Just remember - don't stress too much because there's normally no 'right' or 'wrong' choice, and it's up to you what you make of yourself after the course. Good luck!

I know that my cousin did a part-time MBA at one of Cardiff Metropolitan's 'subsidiary' colleges- London School of Commerce (???) I think it was. She was working as middle management at the time. Her best friend paid a couple grand more and did a similar course elsewhere (somewhere in London-really sketchy memory!) I think the impression she gave me was similar to what you said- content remained largely the same- and they helped one another with their courses because of the similarities. And the networking! That's super important. Because she did a part-time course she met people already in business (who knew where the jobs were) and managed to get her a better job elsewhere. It really depends on what you want out of your career. For Sam (cousin), she wanted flexibility around her job and didn't want to pay as much money. It's really important to find out what it is you want from your course and work from there. Otherwise you end up in my situation picking a course to please the parents, and being an unemployed bum for half a year ! :\

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending