The Student Room Group

Dear men...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sacca
it is NOT possible for a women to be sexist to a man.

Firstly the dictionary is wrong GET OVER IT. Sexism is where discrimination based on gender becomes instritutionally ingrained, rendering it being viewed as culturally normal. I.e rape culture (1/5 women are raped).

Hence sexism requires institutional power + discrimination, therefore you cannot be sexist to a man.

How can a dictionary be 'wrong'? Surely it just gives the definition of the word 'sexism'. You are free to use a different word or phrase if you wish.
Reply 21
Original post by EXTREMEninja
How can a dictionary be 'wrong'? Surely it just gives the definition of the word 'sexism'. You are free to use a different word or phrase if you wish.

because it isn't sociologically correct, most dictionarys were written by straight white men too so they are steeped in a priveledged prespective.
Original post by sacca
reported for offensiveness :smile:

:bootyshake:
Original post by sacca
because it isn't sociologically correct, most dictionarys were written by straight white men too so they are steeped in a priveledged prespective.

Dictionaries are sexist. That's enough internet for one day.

Seriously though, you can't say the dictionary is wrong, as it just gives the definition of the word. Use a different word or phrase to convey your intended meaning. An example would be, 'women cannot oppress men', not that I would necessarily agree with that statement.
Reply 24
Original post by EXTREMEninja
Dictionaries are sexist. That's enough internet for one day.

Seriously though, you can't say the dictionary is wrong, as it just gives the definition of the word. Use a different word or phrase to convey your intended meaning. An example would be, 'women cannot oppress men', not that I would necessarily agree with that statement.

the dictionary incities violence towards women and is part of patriachy, they need to be re written by those from oppressed groups in order to ensure they have a voice and lanuage is not dicated by cis white men
I have no idea what you're smoking, 1/5 women are raped? Do you think before you type? Can you send me the source of your information.
I understand the argument, but don't entirely agree. I'd say it takes more for a woman to be genuinely sexist to a man, but it's not impossible. Also, depending on the situation, the same 'surface level' of sexism can have different significance due to power/expectation/etc, and in general that makes the man-on-woman cases worse.
I can't believe people have taken you seriously, this isn't even a very good tumblr troll :rofl: More fool them.
So rape is institutionally engrained and deemed culturally normal.

Also, rape culture? Seriously?

Next!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sacca
the dictionary incities violence towards women and is part of patriachy, they need to be re written by those from oppressed groups in order to ensure they have a voice and lanuage is not dicated by cis white men

The dictionary incites violence towards women.... How exactly? :confused:
Just like racism I guess but I do still think women can be sexist.
Original post by sacca

Thank's for my new signature. This is utterly hilarious.
Original post by sacca

Firstly the dictionary is wrong GET OVER IT. Sexism is where discrimination based on gender becomes instritutionally ingrained, rendering it being viewed as culturally normal. I.e rape culture (1/5 women are raped).

Hence sexism requires institutional power + discrimination, therefore you cannot be sexist to a man.

What is power exactly?
Original post by sacca

you have got to be kidding?

Really?

Seriously?

Oh boy, i dont know what your smoking but can i have some?

Ok how bout this? What about words in English that would be in our white supremicist how to be racist sexist misogynist overlord rulebook (aka the dictionary!!) that come from non white sources such as Arabic?
Original post by sacca

1/5 women are raped? How can the 20% of women be raped? I never recall raping anyone, nor have known personally anyone who has raped someone or has been raped by someone.

If you put a consensual sex into retrospective and call it a 'rape' then quite frankly this is fraud.
Reply 35
Original post by William Pitt
1/5 women are raped? How can the 20% of women be raped? I never recall raping anyone, nor have known personally anyone who has raped someone or has been raped by someone.

If you put a consensual sex into retrospective and call it a 'rape' then quite frankly this is fraud.

women are raped beacause patriarchy
Original post by sacca
women are raped beacause patriarchy

Still you don't answer my question how 1 in 5 are being raped?
Reply 37
Original post by William Pitt
Still you don't answer my question how 1 in 5 are being raped?

rape culture
Reply 38
Original post by william pitt
still you don't answer my question how 1 in 5 are being raped?

look read this is you are so ignorant to facts

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/36943659419911137/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sacca
rape culture

Okay I get it, but 1 in 5? Where did you get this statistic from and what is the methodology?

20% of females in society cannot possibly be raped

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending