The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Regretting my accommodation choice :(

I like my first choice (st Georges) but my second and third are greenow and mccombie and apparently that has mostly older years not fresher's and now I'm regretting it. I only put it down because its what I could afford but now I'm worried what will happen if I don't get my first choice, I really don't want to be the only fresher in my flat :frown: How likely will it be that I get my first choice of accommodation: I applied today and I have a conditional offer. Am I worrying unnecessarily what should I do! Are there any other prospective students that have applied here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hey! I haven't applied for accomodation yet but I was planning to put the same as you - St Georges, followed by Greenow and McCombie! I really wanted to be in Bridges because it's near to the psychology department as it's what I'm going to be studying, but I really wanted an en suite and couldn't afford the super expensive Bridges ensuites! I don't know but I'm guessing they won't just put one fresher in a flat by herself - it would seem a bit harsh! Do you know how they allocate rooms? Is it first come first served - if so, you're probably more than likely to get St George's as they only opened today!
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by HollyWR9
Hey! I haven't applied for accomodation yet but I was planning to put the same as you - St Georges, followed by Greenow and McCombie! I really wanted to be in Bridges because it's near to the psychology department as it's what I'm going to be studying, but I really wanted an en suite and couldn't afford the super expensive Bridges ensuites! I don't know but I'm guessing they won't just put one fresher in a flat by herself - it would seem a bit harsh! Do you know how they allocate rooms? Is it first come first served - if so, you're probably more than likely to get St George's as they only opened today!

Yeah I wanted ensuite but these are best for my price range. I don't know how they allocate it though because with unconditional offers applications have been open since Feb and they reply and assign you your room within 10 days of applying:eek::eek: so obviously rooms are gonna fill up which is a bit of a pain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HollyWR9

To be fair I am probably overreacting yesterday because I was really stressed about it and saw a thread saying greenow and mccombie have mostly mature students. When are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by em211997
To be fair I am probably overreacting yesterday because I was really stressed about it and saw a thread saying greenow and mccombie have mostly mature students. When are you applying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm probably going to apply later today after finding out halls are allocated on a first come first served basis 😱 I'm still going to put down Greenow and McCombie because I've heard they're quite quiet halls and as I don't really drink/go out much (that makes me sound so sad - I promise I do have a social life) it seems quite logical for me to apply there. I don't think they'd put one fresher in a flat with loads of mature students it just seems a bit unfair! I've seen a few threads with people applying to Greenow and McCombie so I don't think you'd be the only fresher! :smile:
Hey,

As a second year student, who lived in 2 different halls last year, I can tell you that they try their best to put you into a flat with similar people, in your case freshers. I knew one girl that studied a Masters degree last year and all people in her flat were Masters students as well. Me (even though I moved - didn't like my first housemates, but in both cases I was living with freshers around my age), and also all the people I know were in the same position. So don't worry - most probably you'll end up with people your age, and if you don't like something, you can always try to move to the same type of room in another hall :smile:

Plus, it's not true that they allocate the places on first come-first serve basis - since I'm not from the UK, I got my qualification more than a month before the official release of the A-level grades, and I ended up in my second choice. And I applied as soon as the applications opened. They try to match the type of room you want the most, and sometimes (as in the case of the Park Group halls), it doesn't make much of a difference where exactly you live, as they are close to each other.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by CherryCrush
Hey,

As a second year student, who lived in 2 different halls last year, I can tell you that they try their best to put you into a flat with similar people, in your case freshers. I knew one girl that studied a Masters degree last year and all people in her flat were Masters students as well. Me (even though I moved - didn't like my first housemates, but in both cases I was living with freshers around my age), and also all the people I know were in the same position. So don't worry - most probably you'll end up with people your age, and if you don't like something, you can always try to move to the same type of room in another hall :smile:

Plus, it's not true that they allocate the places on first come-first serve basis - since I'm not from the UK, I got my qualification more than a month before the official release of the A-level grades, and I ended up in my second choice. And I applied as soon as the applications opened. They try to match the type of room you want the most, and sometimes (as in the case of the Park Group halls), it doesn't make much of a difference where exactly you live, as they are close to each other.

Good luck!

I'm just worried I'll get put in a hall that was my 3rd or 4th choice especially since my 4th choice is a lot more expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like my first choice (st Georges) but my second and third are greenow and mccombie and apparently that has mostly older years not fresher's and now I'm regretting it. I only put it down because its what I could afford but now I'm worried what will happen if I don't get my first choice, I really don't want to be the only fresher in my flat :frown: How likely will it be that I get my first choice of accommodation: I applied today and I have a conditional offer. Am I worrying unnecessarily what should I do! Are there any other prospective students that have applied here?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello!

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the university tries it's best to group people of the same year together in one flat and around the same year in age. I know that one flat in a hall was largely made up (if not all) of people who had taken a year out before going to uni. Of course this does depend on numbers and similarities but try not to worry. Greenow and McCombie does have a reputation for being a hall for mature students but it actually has a mix of years. Also, the JCR team of the hall is joined to Windsor Hall. When you arrive, lots of activities will be arranged so you not only mix with other people from your hall and flat but from Windsor Hall too which is right next to Greenow and McCombie. You could contact the accommodation team and say that you would prefer to be in a flat with fellow first years and this may be taken into account.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by UniofReading
Hello!

As was mentioned earlier in this thread, the university tries it's best to group people of the same year together in one flat and around the same year in age. I know that one flat in a hall was largely made up (if not all) of people who had taken a year out before going to uni. Of course this does depend on numbers and similarities but try not to worry. Greenow and McCombie does have a reputation for being a hall for mature students but it actually has a mix of years. Also, the JCR team of the hall is joined to Windsor Hall. When you arrive, lots of activities will be arranged so you not only mix with other people from your hall and flat but from Windsor Hall too which is right next to Greenow and McCombie. You could contact the accommodation team and say that you would prefer to be in a flat with fellow first years and this may be taken into account.

I hope this has helped. Feel free to ask any more questions!
Pip, third year English Literature and History of Art :smile:

How likely am I to get my first choice (st Georges) if I applied literally at 12 on the dot when applications opened??

Posted from TSR Mobile
How likely am I to get my first choice (st Georges) if I applied literally at 12 on the dot when applications opened??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have a good chance, but remember that lots of other people would have done the same thing as you.

Pip :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending