The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

why trains Canterbury-London are so expensive?

I got an offer from Kent which I put as insurance choice. I am likely to get to Kent as my firm choice requirements are high so I want to get prepared. I love Kent uni, I love the course, etc.

My biggest concern is travel prices to and from London. I will need to travel to Norwich at least couple times a month to meet my girlfriend. Due the distance I decided to use trains as much as possible, so it would be quicker.

Train from Norwich to London takes less than 2hours, and train from London to Canterbury takes less than 1hour, BUT the canterbury one is 2 times more expensive! Is it really that expensive or I don't know how to look for trains?

How much is a cheap journey from London to Canterbury (with or without railcard)?

I know coaches are an option but they're so slow.

Thank you!
Reply 1
I have the same concern haha. I am going to the Medway campus though so that's only about 40-50mins away yet it's still like £16. there must be a sight we don't know about because I doubt everyone pays that much to use it especially every week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by daryZ
I got an offer from Kent which I put as insurance choice. I am likely to get to Kent as my firm choice requirements are high so I want to get prepared. I love Kent uni, I love the course, etc.

My biggest concern is travel prices to and from London. I will need to travel to Norwich at least couple times a month to meet my girlfriend. Due the distance I decided to use trains as much as possible, so it would be quicker.

Train from Norwich to London takes less than 2hours, and train from London to Canterbury takes less than 1hour, BUT the canterbury one is 2 times more expensive! Is it really that expensive or I don't know how to look for trains?

How much is a cheap journey from London to Canterbury (with or without railcard)?

I know coaches are an option but they're so slow.

Thank you!

Original post by r-t
I have the same concern haha. I am going to the Medway campus though so that's only about 40-50mins away yet it's still like £16. there must be a sight we don't know about because I doubt everyone pays that much to use it especially every week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

So the 'expensive' trains are for the high speed service (HS1) from London's KGX St Pancras to Canterbury West. These trains are more expensive because it's so quick to get from Kent to central London (and supposedly getting quicker). Try looking for services (still run by Southeastern) from Charing Cross or London Bridge to Canterbury West or London Victoria to Canterbury East. Both Canterbury stations are on bus routes that link to the university campus :yy:
Reply 3
Original post by Champagne Supernova
So the 'expensive' trains are for the high speed service (HS1) from London's KGX St Pancras to Canterbury West. These trains are more expensive because it's so quick to get from Kent to central London (and supposedly getting quicker). Try looking for services (still run by Southeastern) from Charing Cross or London Bridge to Canterbury West or London Victoria to Canterbury East. Both Canterbury stations are on bus routes that link to the university campus :yy:

What about getting to London from Medway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by r-t
What about getting to London from Medway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot easier for me to just link (didn't go to Medway) - http://www.kent.ac.uk/directions/index.html?tab=medway

KGX St Pancras ---(HS1)---> Ebbsfleet ----(regular)---> Chatham is the high speed service link. Victoria -----> Chatham seems to be the 'traditional' service.
Reply 5
Coach all the way mate, they're so cheap. Try Getwayz. It's a coach comparison site with providers such as megabus, national express, terravision,etc. It has a flexible calendar search feature that finds deals as low as £1.Hope this helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending