The Student Room Group

NUS banned crossdressin & white gay men actin black

“White gay men are the dominant demographic within the LGBT community,” the U.K.’s National Union of Students (NUS) determined at a meeting earlier this week, “and they benefit from both white privilege and male privilege.”
“White gay men often assert that they are ‘strong black women’ or have an ‘inner black woman,'” NUS continued, calling such behavior “unacceptable” and saying it “must be addressed.”
Therefore, it was officially decided, gay white men may no longer act like black women.
According to its website, NUS is a group dedicated to making “a real difference to the lives of students.” The organization consists of 600 student union group across the U.K., representing the interests of more than seven million students.
NUS passed a motion forbidding gay men from emulating “the mannerisms, language (particularly AAVE- African American Vernacular English) and phrases that can be attributed to black women.”
A second motion passed was the banning gay men from dressing in drag as it could be offensive to trans women. (Queer students who want to cross-dress in their everyday lives as a mode of self-expression, however, are exempt from this rule, NUS said.)
Lastly, the group announced on Twitter this week: “Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping as it’s triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!”
That’s right, clapping is also forbidden by the group.
A NUS spokeswoman told Gay Star News, “We’re a democratic society, and if members voted for it, these are our policies.”
Any white gay man caught breaking these rules will be sentenced to death before a firing squad.
Just kidding.
It’s not clear what the penalties will be or even how they will be enforced. That seems to be beside the point anyway. NUS said its primary goal in instituting these new totalitarian rules is to “raise awareness.” To itself, no doubt.

http://www.queerty.com/gay-men-officially-forbidden-from-acting-like-black-women-clapping-too-is-off-limits-20150326

Scroll to see replies

Wtf???
Somebody just ban the NUS.
Tyler Oakley?
The NUS just want to ban fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingStannis
Somebody just ban the NUS.

Can disaffiliate.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Tyler Oakley?

Not a British student.
Original post by DiddyDec
The NUS just want to ban fun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just very interesting especially with banning cross-dressing, how they said if it's for 'self-expression', it's OK.

Surely anyone who cross-dresses does it to express themselves? Like, why else? Do they mean who got paid to do it but hate it can't do it?
Original post by clh_hilary
Not a British student.

I know but one of the frequent criticisms made against Tyler Oakley is that he's constantly acting like/making fun of "sassy black women" (which IS offensive) and reading this made me think about it.
Reply 9
Can't decide what's worst.

Feminists or NUS

:/
Original post by Inexorably

Feminists or NUS

They are not two different groups of people.
I know but one of the frequent criticisms made against Tyler Oakley is that he's constantly acting like/making fun of "sassy black women" (which IS offensive) and reading this made me think about it.

Did he claim that way? Maybe it's just people stereotyping certain behaviour. Beyoncé may have claimed credits for songs she didn't write, she didn't claim credits to everything in life, you know.
Did he claim that way? Maybe it's just people stereotyping certain behaviour. Beyoncé may have claimed credits for songs she didn't write, she didn't claim credits to everything in life, you know.

what do you mean "did he claim it that way"? People have been telling him that's being fakely sassy and acting like a black woman is offensive and he just brushs it off since he has a huge fanbase that licks his ass 24/7.
Anyway, back to the topic, NUS's decision seems awfully extreme in a SJW kind of way, even though they seem to mean well
...why did you just mention Beyoncé out of the blue?
what do you mean "did he claim it that way"? People have been telling him that's being fakely sassy and acting like a black woman is offensive and he just brushs it off since he has a huge fanbase that licks his ass 24/7.
Anyway, back to the topic, NUS's decision seems awfully extreme in a SJW kind of way, even though they seem to mean well
...why did you just mention Beyoncé out of the blue?

BEYONCÉ is all that matters in the universe and so she's relevant always.

I meant if he has ever said he was resembling that of a black female. I don't know what counts as acting like a black woman, but I doubt any of those behaviour is biological or copyrighted.
BEYONCÉ is all that matters in the universe and so she's relevant always.I meant if he has ever said he was resembling that of a black female. I don't know what counts as acting like a black woman, but I doubt any of those behaviour is biological or copyrighted.

True dat :tongue:
Of course not, why would he, knowing he's made a video which bashes representation of ethnic diversity?
You're right but when you're a white man trying to act like something you're not and the offended members of the community you're trying to imitate are telling to stop, well, why don't you?
True dat :tongue:
Of course not, why would he, knowing he's made a video which bashes representation of ethnic diversity?
You're right but when you're a white man trying to act like something you're not and the offended members of the community you're trying to imitate are telling to stop, well, why don't you?

Maybe he wasn't mocking? I don't know what he's like in real life, and I don't watch his videos so I don't know how he behaves in his videos either; but he could be like that in real life, and very likely ever if it was a deliberate attempt, he's unlikely to be mocking the black community.

It's like saying I'm racist if I pick up the northern 'oh luv'. It depends on the manner of imitation, and in many cases they are compliments rather than insults. I never could get why (white) people were so upset when Katy Perry dressed Japanese and had a longer eye line on her face. If you squeeze your eyes to tiny lines to mock orientals, then yes, it's bad altho I personally still won't care, but if you do it out of real appreciation, I'd take that as a compliment.

I don't wear a bowtie to mock The Doctor. I wear one because I like the look. Maybe TO is the same.
Reply 16
Original post by Inexorably

Feminists or NUS

I'll answer that one for you - patriachy

This is brilliant news! Its time for white men to accept their priveledges and to stop invading PoCs safe sapces, I can't wait for the next NUS meeting I'll be proposing some harsher penalities for any white men who think that this is acceptable.
Maybe he wasn't mocking? I don't know what he's like in real life, and I don't watch his videos so I don't know how he behaves in his videos either; but he could be like that in real life, and very likely ever if it was a deliberate attempt, he's unlikely to be mocking the black community.It's like saying I'm racist if I pick up the northern 'oh luv'. It depends on the manner of imitation, and in many cases they are compliments rather than insults. I never could get why (white) people were so upset when Katy Perry dressed Japanese and had a longer eye line on her face. If you squeeze your eyes to tiny lines to mock orientals, then yes, it's bad altho I personally still won't care, but if you do it out of real appreciation, I'd take that as a compliment.I don't wear a bowtie to mock The Doctor. I wear one because I like the look. Maybe TO is the same.

Intentions don't matter even if they're well meaning, it's the response that matters.
You can't just say to offended East Asians that dressing up as them is some sort of compliment lol
You implicitly rose an interesting issue which is that some white people end up being more offended than the targeted group, which is ridiculous and patronising :smile:
Why do you compare this to wearing a bow tie though? it's just not that same :tongue:
Original post by sacca
I'll answer that one for you - patriachy

This is brilliant news! Its time for white men to accept their priveledges and to stop invading PoCs safe sapces, I can't wait for the next NUS meeting I'll be proposing some harsher penalities for any white men who think that this is acceptable.

:rofl: Which one have you come from, r/Tia or /pol/ ?
Intentions don't matter even if they're well meaning, it's the response that matters.

I didn't talk about intentions. We can never truly know the intentions. I said 'manner'.

You can't just say to offended East Asians that dressing up as them is some sort of compliment lol

Yes, you can; and they were. It was the case with Katy Perry, Gwen Stefani, Madonna, and lots of other people. They actually are fond of the culture.

We orientals don't own the clothes or style.

You implicitly rose an interesting issue which is that some white people end up being more offended than the targeted group, which is ridiculous and patronising :smile:

It is patronising indeed.

Why do you compare this to wearing a bow tie though? it's just not that same :tongue:

It is the same in nature, but the fact that the reaction is different illustrates exactly my point. Bowties are quite frankly European, and dressing up with a bowtie is to conform to a European style. Fundamentally, it's no different from dressing in traditional Chinese or Japanese clothing. Obviously some people dress up to mock, in both cases; but they are not inherently offensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending