The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

|| Falmouth Freshers 2015 ||

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cmaudholmes
I applied to Art Uni Bournemouth & Bath Spa and got offers from both. I haven't done a foundation so didn't think i stood much chance with UAL!
Yeah I agree, I love the feel that Falmouth has, really chilled out rather than busy and competitive.
I didn't like Bath Spa at all and Bournemouth was okay, i live really close to it though and I dont really like it as a place, Falmouth is a lovely place to live and learn as well as being a really good uni and course!

Well done on all your offers! I've heard good things about Bournemouth and Bath spa, but hands down Falmouth does seem like a great place to study! I felt really inspired by the scenery there (lots to draw, paint and photograph). I did my foundation at UAL and it was a horrible experience. No support or personal time with your tutor. I ended up dropping out, thinking that I'd get a different vibe doing a BA there and it was the same.. profit making university. Although, some say it's a great place. I guess it wasn't for me.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Original post by Brit-brit
Well done on all your offers! I've heard good things about Bournemouth and Bath spa, but hands down Falmouth does seem like a great place to study! I felt really inspired by the scenery there (lots to draw, paint and photograph). I did my foundation at UAL and it was a horrible experience. No support or personal time with your tutor. I ended up dropping out, thinking that I'd get a different vibe doing a BA there and it was the same.. profit making university. Although, some say it's a great place. I guess it wasn't for me.

I was looking at UAL for a while for my Graphic Design BA, but some of the reviews were really awful! They said exactly what you said - very little support or time available for you, which put me off even applying. I heard good things about AUB though, but I was quite disappointed with it when I went for my interview...

I'm definitely happy with my choice of Falmouth though. I think it says a lot that everything I've heard about it seems to be ridiculously positive!
Original post by charlottei
Wow, that's so cool! I bet it was great getting a look around... and a look at real student rooms rather than the ones you see on the open day, haha. That's really nice to know. I've got a really weird question though, if you don't mind... can you by any chance remember what colour the carpets were?? I'm looking at bedding at the moment, and being a graphic design student I would hate to turn up and find that it clashed, ahah.

yeah exactly! Hahaha thats is a pretty random question but i'm the same! They're dark blue i think, i dont know if they're the same everywhere at Glasney but i'd assume that they are!

Oh definitely, Bournemouth & Bath are good but nothing beats Falmouth! Yeah same, everything was inspiring, definitely the perfect place to study for me anyway!
Yeah i've always got that feeling from UAL, Falmouth just seems so friendly!
I think Glasney too. I like the feel of it and like that we get to mix with Exeter students too!

Yeah I get the feeling that the community there is gonna be one really good year!
Yeah I'm doing Graphic Design at college too, and I completely agree. The course at Falmouth really stood out above the others.

And me too. :biggrin: Despite the fact it's not the closest one to the campus I'll be studying at, I totally fell in love with the student village when I visited on the open day.

Ah that's cool, where are you doing graphic design at currently?

It does look really good, the whole community feel is fantastic!
Hey guys, I have an offer to do graphic design at Falmouth. So excited already! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was looking at UAL for a while for my Graphic Design BA, but some of the reviews were really awful! They said exactly what you said - very little support or time available for you, which put me off even applying. I heard good things about AUB though, but I was quite disappointed with it when I went for my interview...

I'm definitely happy with my choice of Falmouth though. I think it says a lot that everything I've heard about it seems to be ridiculously positive!

Student's at UAL both the Foundation and BA have to wait months before they can use the facilities provided, which is crazy since we're all pressed for time. It's very disorganized, so yeah, all reviews are pretty accurate on that. Yeah, it's crazy positive it seems almost untrue. The interview at Falmouth was so laid back and most importantly it was about the art! It obviously went well for the both of us. Who did you have? I had a lady called Lisa. Do you have any thoughts on accommodation yet? Everyone seems to go for Glasney Village, but they all seem nice! I think cost wise and socially speaking it might be the best option for the first year.
yeah exactly! Hahaha thats is a pretty random question but i'm the same! They're dark blue i think, i dont know if they're the same everywhere at Glasney but i'd assume that they are!

Haha yeah, I did warn you that it was a bit odd! Thanks though, that's really helpful. I had it in my head that they were blue but I wanted to check I wasn't just making it up...

Original post by Stefan_H
Ah that's cool, where are you doing graphic design at currently?

It does look really good, the whole community feel is fantastic!

I'm currently doing A2 Graphic Design at my local sixth form college, which is in Greater Manchester. :biggrin: How about you?

Original post by polka dots :)
Hey guys, I have an offer to do graphic design at Falmouth. So excited already! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I'm doing Graphic Design too! It's nice to see someone else on the same course as me. :biggrin: And haha I totally agree... this thread has made it even worse, actually, I can't stop thinking about it!

Where else did you apply? :smile:

Student's at UAL both the Foundation and BA have to wait months before they can use the facilities provided, which is crazy since we're all pressed for time. It's very disorganized, so yeah, all reviews are pretty accurate on that. Yeah, it's crazy positive it seems almost untrue. The interview at Falmouth was so laid back and most importantly it was about the art! It obviously went well for the both of us. Who did you have? I had a lady called Lisa. Do you have any thoughts on accommodation yet? Everyone seems to go for Glasney Village, but they all seem nice! I think cost wise and socially speaking it might be the best option for the first year.

Yeah that is pretty ridiculous. It's not worth it, in my opinion.
I had a lady named Nicola for my interview, and she was incredibly nice as well. Really helped settle my nerves (which were pretty bad for that one considering how desperate I was to get in)!

And yep I'm looking at the Glasney Student Village. I've had a look at all of the options - there's an accommodation guide on the website which was really useful - but it really does seem like the best choice. I loved the feel of it when I went there, and I do think it would give an advantage socially too! Which are you leaning towards? :smile:

I'm currently doing A2 Graphic Design at my local sixth form college, which is in Greater Manchester. :biggrin: How about you?

Oh sweet! I'm doing it in Barnet, London. I've really enjoyed the course!
Congrats to you too!
How have you sorted accommodation already?! I thought it opened in April?

I am not getting student accommodation, I am staying with a host family instead near by as I would be moving country so feel like I would prefer that than student accom. Plus its cheaper too ha.
Original post by Failinis
I am not getting student accommodation, I am staying with a host family instead near by as I would be moving country so feel like I would prefer that than student accom. Plus its cheaper too ha.

Oh i see!! That's a really good idea, especially if you're new to both university and the country!
Original post by Stefan_H
Oh sweet! I'm doing it in Barnet, London. I've really enjoyed the course!

I've enjoyed it too... well, most if it. Are you on the AQA exam board by any chance? :smile:

Original post by Failinis

That makes sense. :biggrin: What country are you coming from?
I have an offer for Photography. Thanks for starting the thread :smile:
Original post by chloetheunicorn

Congrats! I'm so pleased this thread exists! It's nice to talk to other future Falmouth students!
I've enjoyed it too... well, most if it. Are you on the AQA exam board by any chance? :smile:

Edexcel for me! It's had it's ups and downs but I've made it through haha
Original post by chloetheunicorn

Ahh congratulations on your offer!! And no problem, I'm just glad people like it :biggrin:
Are you coming from A Levels or an art foundation?
I've got an offer for Graphic Design too! I am currently doing Foundation though at uni and absolutely loving it, i'll be sad to leave. But having said that I'M SO EXCITED FOR FALMOUTH :biggrin:
Original post by plasticsheen
I've got an offer for Graphic Design too! I am currently doing Foundation though at uni and absolutely loving it, i'll be sad to leave. But having said that I'M SO EXCITED FOR FALMOUTH :biggrin:

Congratulations! :biggrin: Yay, another Graphic Design person. I'm ridiculously excited too! Where are you doing your foundation?
Oh i see!! That's a really good idea, especially if you're new to both university and the country!

Yeah, may as well try and keep the costs down while I can, and I will more than likely be allowed to stay in the same place for the 2nd and 3rd year too so its handy.

That makes sense. :biggrin: What country are you coming from?

No where far, just Ireland ha.

Congrats! I'm so pleased this thread exists! It's nice to talk to other future Falmouth students!

I am feeling more excited about it all - nice to have a thread for it.

Quick Reply

Latest