The Student Room Group

British people, what are your opinions on the following things?

Australian Rules Football (Australia) -
Ice Hockey/NHL (Canada) -
American Football/NFL (America)
Rugby Union/Super Rugby (New Zealand)

All the nations I listed above dont care much for football in comparison to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts on the sports listed though?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadoosh
Australian Rules Football (Australia) -Ice Hockey/NHL (Canada) -American Football/NFL (America)Rugby Union/Super Rugby (New Zealand)All the nations I listed above dont care much for football in comparison to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts on the sports listed though?
1 - Australian Rules - Fun to watch.2 - Ice Hockey/NHL - I've never watched a game, but I think the concept is brilliant.3 - American Football - Why do they call it football when only one player on each team is ever allowed to kick the ball? It makes more sense to call it American Rugby.4 - Rugby Union/Super Rugby - Never watched a game.
Original post by Kadoosh
Australian Rules Football (Australia)

All the nations I listed above dont care much for football in comparison to the rest of the world, what are your thoughts on the sports listed though?

AFL - meh, never ever relevant to UK life.
Ice hockey - meh, it's field hockey only here.
NFL - meh, it picked up but i don't personally like it. Lots of hippies at uni play it now.
Rugby union is very popular here. New Zealand obv have a major reputation but domestic rugby here isn't majorly popular... lots of the country watch England though.
Australian Rules Football (Australia) - good
Ice Hockey/NHL (Canada) -interesting
American Football/NFL (America)-confusing
Rugby Union/Super Rugby (New Zealand)-great
Couldn't you have specified 'things' in the thread title? Foreign sports?
Australian Rules Football (Australia) - Never watched

Ice Hockey/NHL (Canada) - Love it! We have our own league, EIHL which has followers and is used for up and coming or retiring players. Also a quick note the NHL is a multinational league, while it is Canadian, the vast majority of teams are actually american.

American Football/NFL (America)- No interest in the slightest.

Rugby Union/Super Rugby (New Zealand)- Loved playing it, hate watching it. In effect same to the UK game.
Reply 6
Original post by Kadoosh

All suck bar hockey

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nothing
Reply 8
bump
My view is that us Brits invented all those sports.
Reply 10
Original post by CrapDunGoofed
My view is that us Brits invented all those sports.

pretty sure Native Canadians invented Hockey
None of them are snooker, and therefore I am interested in none of them. :haughty:
Original post by Kadoosh
pretty sure Native Canadians invented Hockey

[h="1"]Canada’s national pride suffers serious blow as Britain lays claim to inventing ice hockey (… and Charles Darwin was one of the game’s first players)[/h]

Letter suggests Charles Darwin played hockey in Britain before 1825

He wrote to son in 1853 reminiscing about his time at Shrewsbury School

Said he 'used to be very fond' of playing hockey 'on the ice in skates'

Contradicts Canadian claims that the sport was invented in the country

Players are taught that the sport was first played in Montreal in 1870s

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2639591/Canadas-national-pride-suffers-blow-Britain-lays-claim-inventing-ice-hockey-Charles-Darwin-one-games-players.html#ixzz3VcaCP4Dn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Original post by Kadoosh

Don't care
The fights are fun to watch, the sport is OK too
Don't care
Don't care

I hope this was helpful.
Original post by Kadoosh

1. Never heard of it
2. Meh
3. Would actually have half a chance of becoming an alright sport if it wasn't for all the advertising
4. Meh
Reply 15
Original post by CrapDunGoofed
Canada’s national pride suffers serious blow as Britain lays claim to inventing ice hockey (… and Charles Darwin was one of the game’s first players)

Letter suggests Charles Darwin played hockey in Britain before 1825

He wrote to son in 1853 reminiscing about his time at Shrewsbury School

Said he 'used to be very fond' of playing hockey 'on the ice in skates'

Contradicts Canadian claims that the sport was invented in the country

Players are taught that the sport was first played in Montreal in 1870s

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2639591/Canadas-national-pride-suffers-blow-Britain-lays-claim-inventing-ice-hockey-Charles-Darwin-one-games-players.html#ixzz3VcaCP4Dn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

well i thought wrong lol.
Original post by Kadoosh
well i thought wrong lol.

don't worry mate. us brits invented a lot of sports. including america's national sport.
Original post by Kadoosh

1. I could not give a rats about Australia. Its nothing against them, they are just so far away that their sphere of influence is minimal.
2. I am quite interested in this, I don't watch it but I love the idea of Ice and hockey I played a hockey for a while and was quite good at it.
3. Boring.
4. Boring, and we had it in our school.
Reply 18
bump
Original post by Kadoosh

I dont care about any of them but i am confused about the difference between american football and rugby

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest