The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

I withdrew my application for HWSF lol but instead I have an officer for the new sixth form opening in central London called Powerlist Foundation College. It has a lot of hype around it - certainly enough to make me choose it over HWSF.
Im doing my NCS the Challenge on late August so its after my 16th Birthday; so it counts as my residential section for DofE
(edited 9 years ago)
botswana
Original post by SSpringer20
I withdrew my application for HWSF lol but instead I have an officer for the new sixth form opening in central London called Powerlist Foundation College. It has a lot of hype around it - certainly enough to make me choose it over HWSF.

meh. I already got an offer from HWSF and I like the school.
Original post by samispector
People, I need a bit of advice. For the past month or so I've been contemplating whether to continue maths to A level or not. I'm currently getting As but I think by June with a load of hard work I can pull off an A*, my teacher and tutor believe so too. Going into finance is my second plan for my future, something like accountancy will fill my cup but I'm not sure how I'd do on the A level course as people in my school sixth form get A*s at GCSE but Es and Ds at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take maths, it takes you into a lot of careers, and an A is decent in maths. Taking anything else narrows your career margin. And maths looks awesome on a CV.
Original post by Foodatastic
Take maths, it takes you into a lot of careers, and an A is decent in maths. Taking anything else narrows your career margin. And maths looks awesome on a CV.

In my first few lessons at HWSF i'll see whether the swap is worth it.
Original post by staringatshadows
Enlgish Literature: A*
English Language: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics:A*
Maths: A*
Further Maths: A^
French: A* (although I doubt it considering I got a C in my listening mock)
RE: A*
History: A*
Sociology: A*
Psychology: A*

What A-Levels are you taking?

Chemistry, Biology, Physics & Maths!
What about you?
Whats your favourite Harry Potter book?

Mmmm it'd have to be Chamber Of Secrets, it's a time where Harry realises that society will turn on him in a heartbeat. And I loved Dobby, his well-intentioned saviour moments were hilarious. You?
Original post by QueenGeek
Chemistry, Biology, Physics & Maths!
What about you?

Maths, Further Maths, English Lit and PTE. At least we have one subject in common!
Oh wow you're really young! And my school only does Bronze at this stage! I'd apply to NCS The Challenge but I don't want to make the effort to network with everyone who I probably won't ever meet again.

If only Hogwarts was real, it'd be the perfect school. *sighs longingly* Some scenes in Hogwarts were actually filmed at Oxford University. What's your favourite spell? Mine is 'Avada Kedavra', it represents something that Everyone will face- Death.

My favorite's probably the Patronus charm. I feel like it reprepresents hope and the goodness inside people.
Mmmm it'd have to be Chamber Of Secrets, it's a time where Harry realises that society will turn on him in a heartbeat. And I loved Dobby, his well-intentioned saviour moments were hilarious. You?

Lol, that's actually my favorite book as well! It seems to quite a change from what was assumed that people will stand by Harry regardless of the situation. However, seeing people just turn against him really did move me out of my comfort zone.
What's powerlist offering that HWSF doesn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 652
Do Harris Westminsiter do a introductory day for new students because I want to know what it feels like to be a student there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ewin30
Do Harris Westminsiter do a introductory day for new students because I want to know what it feels like to be a student there.

Yes, last year, near the end of June/Start of July, they had an introductory/induction day for prospective students. They did stuff like going around Westminster doing a treasure hunt, and got to know each other. Seems fun! Hope they do it aswell this year.
Reply 654
Yes, last year, near the end of June/Start of July, they had an introductory/induction day for prospective students. They did stuff like going around Westminster doing a treasure hunt, and got to know each other. Seems fun! Hope they do it aswell this year.

That sounds awesome! Hopefully the introductory day is before the 6th July :smile:
Reply 655
Just wondering if anybody had received a letter from Harris Westminster about showing evidence to prove that you have been entitled for free school meals since 2010
Original post by ewin30
Just wondering if anybody had received a letter from Harris Westminster about showing evidence to prove that you have been entitled for free school meals since 2010

Yep, it's been quite a struggle for me but I've got a letter from the deputy head of my school confirming so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by liquidconfidence
Just think, now you are going to meet a lot of other new people who you will build awesome friendships with :-) only one other person from my school also got accepted and she's not that interested lol. I've been accepted to another sixth form nearer my location, it's new but has a good reputation so far and most of my friends also got accepted, oh and they give every student a free iPad and free gym membership and books (which I love). However, HWSF offers so much more and it is a life goal of mine to study at Oxford, so altogether we just have to remember to put our priorities first and remember that we have been given a great opportunity lol :-):-):-)

free ipad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will leave hwsf anyday to join the school you talking about
Reply 658
Original post by samispector
Yep, it's been quite a struggle for me but I've got a letter from the deputy head of my school confirming so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the office at my school to write a letter mentioning that I was free school dinners for a year but the big problem was that I only received the letter on Thursday (Harris Westminister should have sent it first class) so I had to literally persuade and rush the people at office to write me a letter before my school broke up for easter.
Oh my God I thought I was the only one! Yesterday my school finished at 12:15 and I ended up missing 2 of my 3 lessons that day helping the receptionist and 2 other teachers at my school find a document confirming that I've been of fsm. Instead the I got a letter from the deputy head at my school and I included the primary school document from 2006 of entitlement to fsm (that got passed to my secondary school, hence allowing me to receive fsm till today). I also wrote a letter explaining the situation before posting it this morning.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending