The Student Room Group

NUS banned crossdressin & white gay men actin black

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
:rofl:

Honestly, these are the topics they're discussing? I mean they can't be serious...
Original post by Truths
I don't know much about the the cross dressing part so I want speak on that. But I've come across so many men who claim to have an "inner black woman". And I totally see why this is offensive. It's a pretty deep subject, and you kinda have to understand the context of black women in America to understand the issue. The thing is, when a white gay see's clicks in z formation, and neck cocks and all these other characteristics associated with black women, they don't understand everything that is beneath it, they don't understand why some black women carry themselves in the way they do. They don't understand why she has to be "strong" and "independent". All they see is comedy, and novelty.

You're back :h:
Original post by jedanselemyia
Ok, I get what you're saying. You can dress to respect someone's culture if you dress in an accurate way (say, a full traditional kimono) but if you dress in a cliche and generalised manner (dressing up as a "native american" with a short dress, 2 feathers and dumb face paint lines) then it's offensive.

It still depends. In the case of the Native American, it's offensive only because you're not supposed to be allowed to wear it (if you're Native American) unless you've won a war and be awarded for that or something.

So it'd essentially be like a random person coming up claiming that they've got a doctorate from Oxford.
Original post by sacca
you are part of the intersectional patriachal oppresion of poc

What? I literally just suggested that we discuss our experiences as women of different ethnicities so we could come to some kind of common understanding.

As in I'm trying to break down barriers.

And you're just going to ignore that and claim I am part of keeping things in the status quo?
Original post by Truths
Strong? Yes. I don't know about independent.

Either way, I don't see the justification in all this ebonics speaking mock-like behaviour.

Is he mocking, though?

If I say the exact same things, as a non-white person, is it then suddenly all right?
Original post by TheWaffle
Thanks for assuming I ignore your experiences just because of my skin colour :biggrin: There's a word for that sort of stereotyping.

Look I'm not ignoring your experiences. We just have a different view on the line between when you are the victim and where other people become so due to over zealous attempts help your situation. There is also a huge double standard between the levels of acceptance in wider society (in liberal circles/ the main stream media I mean) of what Poc can say/ do to white people because of their skin colour and the other way round. I'm happy to discuss your experiences of racism etc with you and I can tell you mine. Then we might come to a more common understanding as it is hard to see it from a different pov to your own. :smile:

You are aware you're being trolled right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by clh_hilary
Call that Beygency to arrest me.

You know I'm speaking no lies. I'm a Beyhive but she clearly added credits to songs she either didn't write or added just a full stop to.

Um I don't think so. Nice try!

Original post by jedanselemyia
You're back :h:

Hey sis :biggrin:. Mans calendar said it's time to read, so I came back to read these ignants:dumbells:
Thanks for assuming I ignore your experiences just because of my skin colour :biggrin: There's a word for that sort of stereotyping.

Look I'm not ignoring your experiences. We just have a different view on the line between when you are the victim and where other people become so due to over zealous attempts help your situation. There is also a huge double standard between the levels of acceptance in wider society (in liberal circles/ the main stream media I mean) of what Poc can say/ do to white people because of their skin colour and the other way round. I'm happy to discuss your experiences of racism etc with you and I can tell you mine. Then we might come to a more common understanding as it is hard to see it from a different pov to your own. :smile:

The PoC concept in fact is very racist indeed. Not against white people, obviously; but to everyone else who are deemed not white.

Whiteness is being seen as being 'pure'. If you're a person of colour, it was thought, then you're just not pure. It's exactly like how women were seen as deformed men.
Original post by Truths
Um I don't think so. Nice try!

I walk dat BEYONCÉ walk in my room whenever even when 'Crazy In Love' isn't blasting on my laptop. I crawl dat 'Drunk In Love' crawl to my men.

Can you beat that? I live Beyoncé. I breathe Beyoncé. I have a great bottom like Beyoncé.
The PoC concept in fact is very racist indeed. Not against white people, obviously; but to everyone else who are deemed not white.

Whiteness is being seen as being 'pure'. If you're a person of colour, it was thought, then you're just not pure. It's exactly like how women were seen as deformed men.

I only used the term poc as that is the term she used. Who is it that talks of this 'pure' idea?

I'm saying we could discuss our own experiences of racism to try and come to a common understanding and sense of shared empathy but apparently she doesn't want to. Which is her choice. But she can't then complain that I'm not trying to understand her experiences and that I'm part of the problem.
Original post by miscounted_time
You are aware you're being trolled right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? What makes you say that?
It still depends. In the case of the Native American, it's offensive only because you're not supposed to be allowed to wear it (if you're Native American) unless you've won a war and be awarded for that or something.So it'd essentially be like a random person coming up claiming that they've got a doctorate from Oxford.

Ok, I didn't know that! I see, now. Cultural appropriation is crap anyway.
Reply 52
I walk dat BEYONCÉ walk in my room whenever even when 'Crazy In Love' isn't blasting on my laptop. I crawl dat 'Drunk In Love' crawl to my men.

Can you beat that? I live Beyoncé. I breathe Beyoncé. I have a great bottom like Beyoncé.

I don't have to beat nish, cos I aint even a stan. But you aint either. Pls:rolleyes:
Is he mocking, though?

If I say the exact same things, as a non-white person, is it then suddenly all right?

Listen, personally, I find that whole white people speaking ebonics thing is irritating af. Especially the likes of Iggy Azalea and Tyler Oakley. Sometimes even offensive. In lament, African Americans have certain cultural kooks that if you look far enough, have roots in oppression (courtesy of white supremacy). So when a white person comes from their privileged positions and puts it on like a mask, for entertainment, cash, what ever unseemly end, it can sometimes be perceived as a spit in the face.

Regarding black women however. That's not up to me. Because I'm not one of them. But I can understand the frustration.
Original post by *Stefan*
:rofl:

Honestly, these are the topics they're discussing? I mean they can't be serious...

I think they also declared a ban on Charlie Hebdo after the Paris shootings as they thought it was too islamophobic.
I only used the term poc as that is the term she used. Who is it that talks of this 'pure' idea?

I'm saying we could discuss our own experiences of racism to try and come to a common understanding and sense of shared empathy but apparently she doesn't want to. Which is her choice. But she can't then complain that I'm not trying to understand her experiences and that I'm part of the problem.

I wasn't accusing you of that. I'm saying the concept itself should be abandoned.
Original post by Truths
Listen, personally, I find that whole white people speaking ebonics thing is irritating af. Especially the likes of Iggy Azalea and Tyler Oakley. Sometimes even offensive. In lament, African Americans have certain cultural kooks that if you look far enough, have roots in oppression (courtesy of white supremacy). So when a white person comes from their privileged positions and puts it on like a mask, for entertainment, cash, what ever unseemly end, it can sometimes be perceived as a spit in the face.

Regarding black women however. That's not up to me. Because I'm not one of them. But I can understand the frustration.

Iggy Azalea came from a convict background oppressed by other more privileged white people and she didn't write any of her lyrics, though. She also doesn't speak the way she raps so she's probably just a product of utmost suppression herself.
I think they also declared a ban on Charlie Hebdo after the Paris shootings as they thought it was too islamophobic.

They didn't.

Bristol University Student Union did.
I wasn't accusing you of that. I'm saying the concept itself should be abandoned.

What terminology would you use? Would you just stick to using the terms, 'white', 'black', 'asian' etc?
Reply 58

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with pureness. Seems more like acknowledging that the dominant race in the west is white. So minorities will be thee other, but default of numbers I guess.
It's just very interesting especially with banning cross-dressing, how they said if it's for 'self-expression', it's OK.

Surely anyone who cross-dresses does it to express themselves? Like, why else? Do they mean who got paid to do it but hate it can't do it?

We should never try to question the logic used by the NUS because there is no logic.

Every decision they make is utterly meaningless. It is just a group of ****wits trying to play politics.

Quick Reply