The Student Room Group

NUS banned crossdressin & white gay men actin black

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Truths
I wouldn't say it has anything to do with pureness. Seems more like acknowledging that the dominant race in the west is white. So minorities will be thee other, but default of numbers I guess.

They use the term all the same when they colonise the world where white people are not the majority.

The west has seen being white as superior for the longest time. Before the colonial era, they actually liked tanned skin (as they do now) since it's a sign of health, but after that, they've asserted their whiteness to be a sign of superiority (and white as a colour in the west is always a metaphor for 'pureness' - the bride's dress anyone?) and thus the posh didn't even want to go out to be tanned.
Original post by TheWaffle
What terminology would you use? Would you just stick to using the terms, 'white', 'black', 'asian' etc?

It depends on what I'm actually trying to talk about.
Reply 62
Original post by clh_hilary
Iggy Azalea came from a convict background oppressed by other more privileged white people and she didn't write any of her lyrics, though. She also doesn't speak the way she raps so she's probably just a product of utmost suppression herself.

1. She came from Australia.
2. She raps in a different accent not because she is "suppressed" but to exploit a culture she has no understanding of.
Original post by Truths
Um I don't think so. Nice try!

Hey sis :biggrin:. Mans calendar said it's time to read, so I came back to read these ignants:dumbells:

Hi hi :h:
I'm definitely you're glad you're back in the game
Original post by Truths
2. She raps in a different accent not because she is "suppressed" but to exploit a culture she has no understanding of.

Australia was the land of the convicts.

I think she was instructed in studio. She doesn't seem to have creative control over anything she does. I won't be surprised if she doesn't even like the songs she cut and recorded only because her label told her to.
Reply 65
They use the term all the same when they colonise the world where white people are not the majority.

This is the 1st time I'm hearing of this. I doubt they use that term in Ghana and China...

The west has seen being white as superior for the longest time. Before the colonial era, they actually liked tanned skin (as they do now) since it's a sign of health, but after that, they've asserted their whiteness to be a sign of superiority (and white as a colour in the west is always a metaphor for 'pureness' - the bride's dress anyone?) and thus the posh didn't even want to go out to be tanned.

I don't think the white bridal dress has anything to do with race. White as a colour isn't always the same as white as a race.
Original post by sacca
I'll answer that one for you - patriachy

I'm afraid that answer is incorrect.

Nil points!
Original post by DiddyDec
We should never try to question the logic used by the NUS because there is no logic.

Every decision they make is utterly meaningless. It is just a group of ****wits trying to play politics.

I suppose.

There's also this very trendy idea going around the NUS that if your reading list doesn't have people from your race, your gender, and are alive, you can't relate to them and can't learn.
Original post by Truths

To be fair lots of people try and blend into cultures they don't understand in order to fit into the genre of music/ some other form of art they are trying to sell.
I suppose.

There's also this very trendy idea going around the NUS that if your reading list doesn't have people from your race, your gender, and are alive, you can't relate to them and can't learn.

People can believe what they like really, but they are still wrong.

The NUS are a joke nothing more nothing less. They are a parody of themselves and should never be taken seriously.

*Jazz Hands*
Reply 70
Well, people. I'm not familiar with her.

Yes, but isn't that racist to judge someone purely based on their skin colour?

I wasn't talking about her accent, but her lyrics, which have gone more and more African American.

No. As I already said. African American culture has roots in oppression. Whether your Somalian or Bajan, if you live in America you will feel the wrath of white supremacy in some way shape or form regardless of ethnicity. So just by that fact, she does get a pass, because she is connected to the struggle.
And those lyrics could EASILY be in bashment song. Ofc, her delivery is going to be different because it's hip hop. And as I already said, Rihanna raps in her native accent, which is actually a huge part of the issue with Iggy. Do not compare tit for tat.
Original post by TheWaffle
Really? What makes you say that?

Date of account creation and post history. Although granted it could be another genuine lunatic, there does seem to be a few of those on TSR aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
[video="youtube;uTe7nVL8mRA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTe7nVL8mRA[/video]
I'll act as independent and black and womanly as I like *sassy finger click*
To be honest, I would say that NUS are the racist one for assuming that black women act in a particular way.

They're offensive to the extra-sensitive souls they're trying to protect.
Reply 75
how about straight white men acting as black men, shouldn't that be banned too?
Original post by ModYom
how about straight white men acting as black men, shouldn't that be banned too?

The NUS are only going after the gays this time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Original post by sacca
I'll answer that one for you - patriachy

This is brilliant news! Its time for white men to accept their priveledges and to stop invading PoCs safe sapces, I can't wait for the next NUS meeting I'll be proposing some harsher penalities for any white men who think that this is acceptable.

I'm really not sure if you're serious or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Black women need to stop acting like gay men!
I fail to understand how a person may act like a blank woman, do all black women behave in a particular way? I find that notion highly offensive. Perhaps, however, some gay men (of all races) do adopt certain characteristics that are portrayed on TV by black actresses, in the same way that others adopt characteristics of women of other races. This is not mocking, this is adopting behaviour from strong female characters, as gay men often do, having very few strong gay male characters to look up to.

And the opposition to cross dressing? Don't be so utterly retarded. I don't see anyone complaining about women dressing as men.

This claptrap is routed in hatred of white men, pure and simple. The assumption that any white male is privileged simply for being male is absurd.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending