The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by T.I.P
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

[COLOR=#000000]Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

You know not everywhere is that expensive right? :rolleyes:

My rent and bills (and if I added on council tax) still cost less than £8,000 a year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Physflop
Thinking about this even more I'm baffled at your rent prices here! I used to rent for £300 a month INCLUDING electric and gas!!!!! And I know someone who lives in a nice area, 2 bedroomed house with fields out the back, for £500 a month. So maybe you should take into account that people earning 25K would not be living in a house for £700 a month hahaha

how much do you think it is to rent in london?
Reply 22
Original post by imabigboynow

Completely depends on the zone.

Don't live in London then if you don't want to be broke!
Original post by keladry
Completely depends on the zone.

assuming you live in the cheaper zone, you still need to pay for transport to get to work, so you will spend money on a car and pay insurance/petrol. If you dont get a car it could cost anywhere from £100-£200/month for public transport. OP is right that £25k isnt great but i disagree that being on the dole is better
Reply 25
assuming you live in the cheaper zone, you still need to pay for transport to get to work, so you will spend money on a car and pay insurance/petrol. If you dont get a car it could cost anywhere from £100-£200/month for public transport. OP is right that £25k isnt great but i disagree that being on the dole is better

You do realise London isn't the only place people live right?

Therefore no, OP is not right that 25k is necessarily not great. Completely depends on the area, and in many areas 25k will leave you with quite a lot of disposable income (if no dependants). Glad to hear you disagree that being on the dole is better though, there seem to be a lot of misconceptions about how much money those on benefits get. It is really not a nice or easy life. But unfortunately a few very uncommon cases on the daily mail lead people to believe those on benefits get loads.

It is also going to cost you that if you are on the dole you need transport to go to the job centre,hand CVs in,attend job interviews,attend compulsory volunteering or training schemes,go shopping, collect money(depends if you live close to Post Office) etc.So bringing transport into this argument is pretty pointless.I pointed out in my earlier post that not only was his rent figure far too much the amount he would pay for essentials(excluding rent and council tax) was a lot higher than JSA.Another thing we must also take into account is the work you have to do on the dole job searching,volunteering/training schemes,handing in CVs,attending Job interviews etc lots of people seem to be under the impression dole=no work, when if you are unlucky it can mean even up to 9-5 work(my mam has told me they have started putting people on 40 hour a week training schemes luckily my mam hasn't been put on one yet).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by keladry
You do realise London isn't the only place people live right?

Therefore no, OP is not right that 25k is necessarily not great. Completely depends on the area, and in many areas 25k will leave you with quite a lot of disposable income (if no dependants). Glad to hear you disagree that being on the dole is better though, there seem to be a lot of misconceptions about how much money those on benefits get. It is really not a nice or easy life. But unfortunately a few very uncommon cases on the daily mail lead people to believe those on benefits get loads.

The best paying jobs are in london mainly. The average salary for the job i do is £19-£22k but im earning more than that. I have to pay £636 for rent in a 3bed house for my mum and sisters since my mum doesnt work and they stopped her benefits. I am still left with £1k to spend but i spend £148/month on transport another £200 for food and bills then im left with like £650, then if I want to get a car save up for a house etc it wont be much left. £25k isnt bad by any means but for a lot of people its not great, it depends on your circumstances. I agree about what you said about benefits though. I was mainly pointing out that hes right about £25k not being a lot
Original post by Dalek1099
It is also going to cost you that if you are on the dole you need transport to go to the job centre,hand CVs in,attend job interviews,attend compulsory volunteering or training schemes,go shopping, collect money(depends if you live close to Post Office) etc.So bringing transport into this argument is pretty pointless.I pointed out in my earlier post that not only was his rent figure far too much the amount he would pay for essentials(excluding rent and council tax) was a lot higher than JSA.Another thing we must also take into account is the work you have to do on the dole job searching,volunteering/training schemes,handing in CVs,attending Job interviews etc lots of people seem to be under the impression dole=no work, when if you are unlucky it can mean even up to 9-5 work(my mam has told me they have started putting people on 40 hour a week training schemes luckily my mam hasn't been put on one yet).

I agree, saying dole is better than working is absolute lunacy by OP. But he was right that £25k wont give you a great lifestyle if you have ambitions to do a lot with your life
Reply 29
The best paying jobs are in london mainly. The average salary for the job i do is £19-£22k but im earning more than that. I have to pay £636 for rent in a 3bed house for my mum and sisters since my mum doesnt work and they stopped her benefits. I am still left with £1k to spend but i spend £148/month on transport another £200 for food and bills then im left with like £650, then if I want to get a car save up for a house etc it wont be much left. £25k isnt bad by any means but for a lot of people its not great, it depends on your circumstances. I agree about what you said about benefits though. I was mainly pointing out that hes right about £25k not being a lot

not everyone is aiming for the best paying jobs, which are often jobs the average person would be miserable in with crazy long hours and massive commitments. Therefore for a lot of people (most of the population in fact) London is completely irrelevant.

No, he's right about 25K not being a lot in london. In some places it's higher than average (or course only some places).
Original post by scrunkie
This is why benefits need to be locked down and stricter than they are now. You shouldn't be better off on benefits than you are working.

No. This is why rampant corporatism needs to be done away with and businesses need to be made to pay a fairer living wage that allows people to actually live their lives rather than just survive. If you clamp down on benefits, as you suggest, then how does that improve the situation of in work poverty?
Reply 31
Original post by Europhile
No. This is why rampant corporatism needs to be done away with and businesses need to be made to pay a fairer living wage that allows people to actually live their lives rather than just survive. If you clamp down on benefits, as you suggest, then how does that improve the situation of in work poverty?

It doesn't.

The poor and people on benefits are just scapegoats that the daily mail and other rubbish news sources use to make people angry.
Original post by T.I.P
lets say you earn £25k per year and you are renting like many others or tbh even if your not this example still applies.

According to Money Savings website you would pay:

£2,880
income tax and £2,033 in National Insurance

if we add these together we get £4913

so lets just round that up to £5000 and take the amount awat from 25K which would leave you with £20000.

Lets say you are renting a house and its costing you 700 per month plus council tax and electricity bills, internet, food etc etc. lets call it 1300 in total (and thats cheap tbh) and times that by 12 to represent the total cost of the year we have a total of £15600 going out on these costs and thats no including cost of your car insurance, travel cost, clothing and other costs that spring up. So working with the numbers we have we can do 20000-15600 and we are left with £4600 so you have worked all year for this amount, the rest of the money has been spent on basic human survival imposed upon us by the higher powers. if you wanted to calculate further it would work out for a whole year you would earn £12.35 per day.

so all in all you wont be living a life of luxury especially if you're single, and tbh even if you earned 30k you would still be a white collar slave.

i see lots of people saying the £700 rent is a lot? thats pretty standard unless you live in filth in a dreadful area 580-700 is what I've being seeing for apartments for myself in upper class areas. If you guys wanna live in dumps with foreigners and other people your whole life like students then go for it......
Reply 33
Original post by studentLynch
i see lots of people saying the £700 rent is a lot? thats pretty standard unless you live in filth in a dreadful area 580-700 is what I've being seeing for apartments for myself in upper class areas. If you guys wanna live in dumps with foreigners and other people your whole life like students then go for it......

Nope. That was just an ignorant statement.

I live in a town that was recently dubbed the most desirable place to live in England. Rent on my 3 bedroom house? £450 a month.
Original post by scrunkie
This is why benefits need to be locked down and stricter than they are now. You shouldn't be better off on benefits than you are working.

No you idiot, if anything it's why workers need to unionise again and demand a decent wage. Why do people like you always insist on dragging everyone down rather than raising everyone up?

Not to mention the fact that everyone ITT has been debunking OP's laughable cost estimates.
I am assuming your title should have read "on the dole."

In which case I'm so glad your salary/outgoings figures were accompanied by those you'd obtain in benefits, to, y'know, ACTUALLY compare.

Do you live in London, by any chance?

Why the hell would anyone rent in a high class area? You rent in a cheap ****hole and buy in a nice area because rent is money down the toilet buying is an investment.
Original post by Musie Suzie
I am assuming your title should have read "on the dole."

In which case I'm so glad your salary/outgoings figures were accompanied by those you'd obtain in benefits, to, y'know, ACTUALLY compare.

Didn't you hear, they all get £26,000 a year, they must do otherwise the government would have set the benefits cap at £26,000 a year
Original post by Musie Suzie
Do you live in London, by any chance?

nope Harrogate boo

Latest

Trending

Trending