The Student Room Group

If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?

I chose Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry. I'm going to be doing Physics at University, so I'd stick with the first three, which are the three I do now in Year 13. Chemistry, however, I didn't enjoy so much, or do as well in as in the others, so in its place, I may have picked IT, Economics, or even English. In that order of preference.
As it says above, If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I chose Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry. I'm going to be doing Physics at University, so I'd stick with the first three, which are the three I do now in Year 13. Chemistry, however, I didn't enjoy so much, or do as well in as in the others, so in its place, I may have picked IT, Economics, or even English. In that order of preference.
As it says above, If You Were To Turn Back The Clock, Which A-Levels Would You Choose?
Posted from TSR Mobile

I would change nothing - I enjoyed all 4 of my subjects. I did my A levels last year.

Good luck for your exams - where you heading in September?
Original post by AmyPilot
I would change nothing - I enjoyed all 4 of my subjects. I did my A levels last year.

Good luck for your exams - where you heading in September?

My firm choice: Imperial. My insurance: UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Potentially did Economics instead of Biology.
My firm choice: Imperial. My insurance: UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You will be aiming for good grades then!

Don't know how you deal with all that maths though. I was more essay based - did English lit/lang, RS, Psychology and Sociology.

Again, good luck
I did Maths Economics and History - it's been a good 7 years since i chose my options though. If I were doing it again i'd drop history and do either Physics or something IT related.

Probably something IT related and then do a completely different university course. I chose accountancy but i really really wish i'd gone into IT
Posted from TSR Mobile

I did maths, further maths, economics, geography and history;

I wish I did physics, but I like all of my subjects so I don't know which one I'd drop for it - maybe history
Reply 7
I do biology, maths, philosophy and ethics, and chemistry. I love the first 3 but I'd swap chemistry for either geography, music, English lit, or media.
STEM dont do Law trust me DONT DO IT
Made the hug mistake of doing PE over Physics. My biggest regret.
Would not change chemistry and maths.
Reply 10
I would have chosen physics/further maths over English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Instead of doing biology I would have taken psychology. And instead of doing PE I would have done economics or government and politics :tongue: two of the worst regrets... Ever!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing maths, further maths, economics and philosophy but, even though I'm going to study philosophy and economics at uni, I would have liked to trade the economics A level for a proper subject (economics at A level is way too simplistic in my opinion). I have no idea for what though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been thinking a lot about this. It's almost 5 years since I chose my options, and I will be going into the third year of a history degree.

I did History, Maths, Physics and Further Maths at AS Level, and I dropped Further Maths at the end of Year 12.

If I were to turn the clock back I would have still done History, Maths, but dropped Physics and Further Maths for English and Government and Politics or something. Or, kept History, Maths and Physics, and swapped English for Further Maths, so that my choices were split 50/50.

Most of all, I just wished that I was able to get a better score in Physics. I loved Physics, but the ISA and the multiple choice exam in Unit 4 screwed me over. At the time, I chose Further Maths because I got a A* at GCSE, and thought it would be good, but well, that didn't work out.

I also remember that at the time, since I got an A in GCSE French, that I wanted to take it to A-Level. It would have been nice to continue learning another language, although, maybe I wouldn't have taken it to A-Level considering some of the other choices.

If I was able to, I might have chosen Geography in addition to History. I liked it at KS3, and did very well, but ultimately chose History at GCSE over Geography, although, I wish I took both. If there was a way to do Geography at A-Level without doing it at GCSE, it would have been a great subject to study. Especially, with the emphasis on human geography, which would have allowed to put the History into a greater geo-societal context.

But, as you can probably tell by my choices, History was the subject that I was expecting to drop. I'm so glad that I chose History as my path and not Physics, though. Don't get me wrong, I loved History at GCSE, but I don't recall at the time thinking that it could be my eventual career path. Now, I'm just happy to do something I love, and learn. Who knows where it may take me, but that's the beauty of studying History.

[video="youtube;n9aYrURLHh0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9aYrURLHh0[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AmyPilot
You will be aiming for good grades then!

Don't know how you deal with all that maths though. I was more essay based - did English lit/lang, RS, Psychology and Sociology.

Again, good luck

Thanx! :smile: Mind if I ask what you're studying now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing maths, further maths, economics and accounting. I don't like economics and I would choose biology or physics over it. Preferably biology though- I love the subject
Original post by Ruby_1696
Instead of doing biology I would have taken psychology. And instead of doing PE I would have done economics or government and politics :tongue: two of the worst regrets... Ever!

Posted from TSR Mobile

PE? Wow, that's extreme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PE? Wow, that's extreme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol why is it extreme ? I like sports and I took bio and pe thinking that they would come hand in hand. But I guess.. It was a mistake :biggrin: I take geo and hope to study it further. And geo goes hand in hand with bio/econ/gov and politics. I thought they all interlinked lol!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanx! :smile: Mind if I ask what you're studying now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Psychology and Speech Pathology
I'm doing German, Japanese, Economics and Politics. I quite like my a level choices, but if I could go back two years, I would've done another AS and maybe Geography in place of Politics or Economics

Quick Reply

Latest