The Student Room Group

Is a Macbook worth it? HELP!

Poll

Is a Macbook worth it?

I want to buy a Macbook, but the price is putting me off. I currently have a HP Pavillion, but wanted to upgrade to a Mac when I get my loan next week.

Anyone with a Macbook, is it worth the price? Would you recommend it, or are they just overrated and overpriced?

If I was to buy one, it would be the Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Psyc_Girl
I want to buy a Macbook, but the price is putting me off. I currently have a HP Pavillion, but wanted to upgrade to a Mac when I get my loan next week.

Anyone with a Macbook, is it worth the price? Would you recommend it, or are they just overrated and overpriced?

Thanks!

really depends on what you're going to be using it for. if you just need it for school, work or media, then it's perfectly fine (the screen's great). however, if you like gaming then you may want to have a look at other brands :h:
Reply 2
Original post by Gax
really depends on what you're going to be using it for. if you just need it for school, work or media, then it's perfectly fine (the screen's great). however, if you like gaming then you may want to have a look at other brands :h:

It would only be used for university work! :smile:
I think they are.

In my experience, they last well longer than other laptops. My old macbook (my mum is using it now) is around 6 years old and still going strong, whereas other laptops go a bit dodgy after like 2 years use.

Go to a shop like PC World or the Apple store and have a play around with them first to make sure you like them. But tbh I'd wait until like August/September before you buy it because they do special 'back to school' deals, like I got a £60 voucher on top of the student discount when I bought mine in August.
You get a discount with an academic email account.
macs tend to last longer without fiddling about but you pay a price for it.
apparently battery life is superior which may be an advantage.

depends on what course you are doing.
Reply 5
Original post by rayquaza17
I think they are.

In my experience, they last well longer than other laptops. My old macbook (my mum is using it now) is around 6 years old and still going strong, whereas other laptops go a bit dodgy after like 2 years use.

Go to a shop like PC World or the Apple store and have a play around with them first to make sure you like them. But tbh I'd wait until like August/September before you buy it because they do special 'back to school' deals, like I got a £60 voucher on top of the student discount when I bought mine in August.

How much was the student discount?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I think they are.

I've been ona few friends ones and I really like it, although it will take some getting used to as I've only ever had Windows laptops!

Original post by domonict
You get a discount with an academic email account.
macs tend to last longer without fiddling about but you pay a price for it.
apparently battery life is superior which may be an advantage.

depends on what course you are doing.

I'm studying Psychology.

Original post by rajv

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can get the Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display for £850 with student discount.
Original post by rajv

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't show me on like the email of the order apple sent me, but I think it was around 15%

I've been ona few friends ones and I really like it, although it will take some getting used to as I've only ever had Windows laptops!

I can get the Macbook Pro 13 inch with retina display for £850 with student discount.

You'll get used to it quickly, they're so much easier to understand tbh. If you have an iPhone, then it works really well with that. I can leave my phone in my bag and my texts come up on my laptop and I can reply from my laptop, and if I have a website open on my phone I can open it up easily on my laptop.

Biggest downside for me though is there isn't a good replacement for Microsoft Paint. :frown:

I would definitely recommend getting a screen protector, keyboard protector, and case for it as well though just to make sure you keep the laptop itself in top condition.
Is that the apple education discount or another shop's offer?

It can be worth either as for instance my iPad cost me more than apple's price at John Lewis, but the warranty was longer.

when I bought my macPro I got a massive discount. They vary the offers.
you used to only be able to see the discount if you log on to Apple education via Janet so that Apple can tell if you are a genuine student.
Reply 9
It doesn't show me on like the email of the order apple sent me, but I think it was around 15%

You'll get used to it quickly, they're so much easier to understand tbh. If you have an iPhone, then it works really well with that. I can leave my phone in my bag and my texts come up on my laptop and I can reply from my laptop, and if I have a website open on my phone I can open it up easily on my laptop.

Biggest downside for me though is there isn't a good replacement for Microsoft Paint. :frown:

I would definitely recommend getting a screen protector, keyboard protector, and case for it as well though just to make sure you keep the laptop itself in top condition.

Yeah, I have an iPhone and an iPad so I think it would be a great addition, and allow me to transfer all my work easily. That's pretty cool about being able to reply through the Mac!

Ah no! I love paint :cry2: :lol:

Oh yeah, I didnt think about them things, I only thought about buying a sleeve to protect it in my bag.
I'd recommend one, definitely.

If you get the student discount through Apple, you get three years AppleCare, so make sure you buy it that way. :yy:
Reply 11
Original post by domonict
Is that the apple education discount or another shop's offer?

It can be worth either as for instance my iPad cost me more than apple's price at John Lewis, but the warranty was longer.

when I bought my macPro I got a massive discount. They vary the offers.
you used to only be able to see the discount if you log on to Apple education via Janet so that Apple can tell if you are a genuine student.

It's through the education store, or you can get the same discount through Unidays.

However, you can just get it by showing a valid ID card in an Apple Store. I went with a friend and used my university ID card to get the discount for them.
You can also airdrop from I-device to any other I-device in the room. Handy for photos or documents if someone else used a Mac.

Thanks!

Unless you're gaming, it's worth it - MacBook Airs aren't particularly expensive when looking at comparable Windows laptops, and they have great keyboards, trackpads and pretty good battery life too (12 hours for the 13 inch model). While you can't easily run Windows apps on them - you'd need to buy Office for Mac, or just use iWork - Macs are worth the money, they'll last a while and they have good integration with iPads/iPhones if you have them.

You mentioned a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro - while the screen is amazing, it might not be worth the premium over the Air. It's undoubtedly superior in every respect aside from the battery life (better trackpad, better processor, better RAM and better display) in everyday use it probably wouldn't be that different to the Air.
Reply 14
If you are going to use it just for university work, why bother paying so much money, when you can buy something cheaper?
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Unless you're gaming, it's worth it - MacBook Airs aren't particularly expensive when looking at comparable Windows laptops, and they have great keyboards, trackpads and pretty good battery life too (12 hours for the 13 inch model). While you can't easily run Windows apps on them - you'd need to buy Office for Mac, or just use iWork - Macs are worth the money, they'll last a while and they have good integration with iPads/iPhones if you have them.

You mentioned a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro - while the screen is amazing, it might not be worth the premium over the Air. It's undoubtedly superior in every respect aside from the battery life (better trackpad, better processor, better RAM and better display) in everyday use it probably wouldn't be that different to the Air.

I think the pro is much better than the air. Since it has better processor/RAM/etc I think it'll be more 'future proof' as in it'll last for longer than the Air would.

Don't go and buy Microsoft Office straight away though - my university have this thing where we can download it for free, so it's worth checking with the uni first!
100% yes I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch with Retina display and it has elated my life. It is the best laptop out there for school work and you can take it from me that it is.
Reply 17
Original post by doctorwhofan98

Its absolutely definitely worth the money over the Air. Forget the improved processor/RAM - its the retina screen that makes all the difference. After you use a retina screen for a few months you cant even look at a non-retina laptop, especially with OS X where text isnt rendered very well and looks slightly blurry on non-retina displays. I used to have an Air and the upgrade the Pro is just phenomenal - when I look at an Air screen now it looks horrible

The 13" Macbook pro is the way to go (unless you can afford the 15" version, which imo is the best laptop currently available at any price point, although probably too big/heavy to take to university every day)
(edited 9 years ago)
It would only be used for university work! :smile:

Considering your usage...the pro is overkill and the air is far more suitable. Internet browsing, essay writing, etc are very basic things which any basic laptop can do.
Original post by Ecro
If you are going to use it just for university work, why bother paying so much money, when you can buy something cheaper?

Because it's 'free' money. That's usually what happens when people get money they haven't had to earn. They blow it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending