The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BioStudentx
I know a lot of people like to take art, psychology, sociology, geography, history, English, economics at Unis like Manchester met. So my idea is that we should lower the amount we pay for uni but everyone has to pay - no matter how much their salary is after they have left uni. This could discourage people to do the pointless degrees above.

Economics? A pointless degree? Are you having a laugh?

Either you're a troll or genuinely retarded. It's none of your business what degrees others decide to get anyway.
Not Stem or Oxbridge.

So modern language degrees are pointless?
Original post by Skyy9432
The sciences save the world, the arts make it worth saving.

Sure though, let's do it. Let's abolish pointless degrees. Remove all subjects and only let people study physics and maths. That's what it all comes down to in the end. That's all life is, why let people waste their life studying biology when it all comes down to chemistry, which itself works according to physics?

You just completely extrapolated my point in an attempt to make me sound ridiculous. I don't think we should abolish any of those degrees but maybe limit the number of people doing them.
Original post by Walt_14
Economics? A pointless degree? Are you having a laugh?

Either you're a troll or genuinely retarded. It's none of your business what degrees others decide to get anyway.

Look at unis like middlesex, London met, Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham trench. Graduate prospects are so low.
Reply 44
A bio student thinking economics is worthless... :rofl:
Most people have hobbies, and most of those hobbies derive from something creative. So yes, let's scrap any sort of creative arts degree and while we're at it also ban anything creative such as film, tv, novels, photography, theatre and dance... Because what is the point in having those things if people can't study them and go on to doing them?

This world would be pretty **** without the arts.
You just completely extrapolated my point in an attempt to make me sound ridiculous. I don't think we should abolish any of those degrees but maybe limit the number of people doing them.

You're doing a stunningly brilliant job of that on your own, mate.
Sounds like the OP does not understand the meaning of Fascism.

Perhaps someone needs to explain to him what that is since history, politics, social policy, sociology etc. will also be classed as a pointless no doubt.
Reply 48
English is pointless. Take the Shakespeare bull**** out of the curriculum and just teach students how to argue, persuade and write. We don't need to analyse how red curtains foreshadow the death of his mum or some BS like that. And yes we would have lawyers, because students are graduating from Oxbridge every year. And yes, doing a STEM subject at Oxbridge does make you superior to doing a English degree at Manchester.

Seriously!? 'Shakespeare bull****' ??? Have you ever been to the theatre, walked around an Art gallery, read a play (or even a book), visited ancient monuments?.... You know..done all of the stuff that enriches and makes life interesting. STEM subjects are very well and good, but there is no point in them if you can't enjoy the rest of life. Studying all that suff not only teaches you how to understand it, but also appreciate it - although the system has obviously failed you on that score. If everyone simply studied STEM subjects, we would all end up narrow minded and unable to enjoy the variety of people, culture and beautiful things around us.

The amount of people at Oxbridge will not make up enough lawyers, writers etc for an all rounded society.
you haven't explained why we should want to stop people from doing those degrees.

I opened the thread supposing that you were looking for advice on how to dissuade someone known to you from doing one of these; a gentle intervention. Certainly I'd be keen to encourage second thoughts in a good friend, and certainly a child of mine.

In truth, though, you seem to suppose the argument here is about economic costs to the country, and I think it is not.

Suppose that Martin and Neddy go to Man Met to study Biomedical Science and Media Studies respectively. As anticipated Martin earns more than Neddy and he has paid off his full debt liability at 40 while Neddy dribbles it in until the debt is written off when he's 50, by which time he has paid off ₤15k.

The thing of it is that the ₤27k paid-off by Martin perhaps represents 80% of the provision cost for his degree, while the ₤15k paid by Neddy represents 120% of the cost of providing his. Because providing in Media Studies is cheap and in Bioscience is costly. For all that he hasn't met the whole of his liability, Neddy has de facto subsidized the cost of providing Martin's education.

And while at university they weren't claiming benefits or housing and were both available for poorly casual work.

That people are doing degrees which likely don't confer much benefit on them is bad news chiefly for them.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
That's ridiculous. There are lots of good unis that aren't Oxbridge - UCL, Durham, Edinburgh and Imperial just to name a few. And not everyone wants to do STEM subjects, while if everyone did do STEM subjects, it would hardly be great. There would be no law students, so far less future lawyers. There wouldn't be any English students, so far less future English teachers. The list goes on.

Doing a STEM subject at Oxbridge doesn't suddenly make you ultimately superior compared to someone doing law at KCL, or English at Manchester. And while the ex-polytechnics, such as Manchester Met., clearly aren't going to top the league tables any time soon, it certainly doesn't make a degree pointless.

*fewer
*fewer
It seems having fewer future English teachers would be a problem...
:biggrin: classic tsr idiot. OP's probably 14 and not even at uni, or ever will be.
If they're so successful then they should remove the rule that you need above a certain salary to pay your loan back?

If you define success as earning above a certain income threshold, that's pretty sad.
Original post by Chlorophile
If you define success as earning above a certain income threshold, that's pretty sad.

That's exactly how I define it.
The current system of giving people choice lets people take responsibility for the outcome of what they choose.

I have a friend studied media studies at an ex-poly, took animation modules and each summer would teach himself coding (computer coding that is), now uses these things together to create android apps...

Original post by Abdul-Karim
There's various other reasons that people don't earn above a certain starting salary. It doesn't affect you so I'm unsure as to why you're concerned.

Given you're so full of yourself, why not see it as an advantage that there are less worthy opponents is the graduate job market.

This absolutely.

Literally every person I have ever spoken with who complains about other people doing pointless degrees, is not someone with a first in a STEM subject from a top university, but someone who will be in the mid tier of graduates. It's typical middle of the road, middle middle class kids who think they would still be graduates if university were to be made more elitist (like before the 2000's), but who can't stand the competition of a truly meritocratic society.

Pathetic.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile

Mozart died penniless aged 35
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by the bear
Mozart died penniless aged 35
Add to that list:

Nikola Tesla (scientist)

Vincent van Gogh (artist)

Socrates (philosopher)

Franz Schubert (composer)

William Blake (literature)

Edgar Allen Poe (literature)

Judy Garland (actress)

Oscar Wilde (literature)

Sammy Davis junior (musician)

Johannes Vermeer (artist)
(Original post by Chlorophile)

(Original post by BioStudentx)

The one decent point your suggestion had, about pushing for scientific progress, just died. Success should be how big of a difference you make. How much positive influence you have on the world, be it artistically, scientifically or both.
Original post by plasmaman
*fewer
*fewer
It seems having fewer future English teachers would be a problem...

I was half asleep while writing that, oops
Original post by cambio wechsel
you haven't explained why we should want to stop people from doing those degrees.

I opened the thread supposing that you were looking for advice on how to dissuade someone known to you from doing one of these; a gentle intervention. Certainly I'd be keen to encourage second thoughts in a good friend, and certainly a child of mine.

In truth, though, you seem to suppose the argument here is about economic costs to the country, and I think it is not.

Suppose that Martin and Neddy go to Man Met to study Biomedical Science and Media Studies respectively. As anticipated Martin earns more than Neddy and he has paid off his full debt liability at 40 while Neddy dribbles it in until the debt is written off when he's 50, by which time he has paid off ₤15k.

The thing of it is that the ₤27k paid-off by Martin perhaps represents 80% of the provision cost for his degree, while the ₤15k paid by Neddy represents 120% of the cost of providing his. Because providing in Media Studies is cheap and in Bioscience is costly. For all that he hasn't met the whole of his liability, Neddy has de facto subsidized the cost of providing Martin's education.

And while at university they weren't claiming benefits or housing and were both available for poorly casual work.

That people are doing degrees which likely don't confer much benefit on them is bad news chiefly for them.

+1

Latest

Trending

Trending