The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnnekaChan173
"Since you began college, has anyone had sexual contact with you by using physical force or threatening to physically harm you?

and

Since you began college, has someone had sexual contact with you when you were unable to provide consent or stop what was happening because you were passed out, drugged, drunk, incapacitated, or asleep? This question asks about incidents that you are certain happened."

To be counted, they also had to be in Senior Year and said yes to one or both.

One in 5 in collage is actually quite plausible for sexual assault, considering that groping is included.
Original post by Strawberry68
Here is the source.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZfltpUhP30

I also know SEVERAL people who have gotten raped and many more who have been sexually assaulted in some way.

That isn't a source that is just someone regurgitating the same information that you have presented. I want to see the study. Now go back and find it.
Reply 102
Original post by DiddyDec
That isn't a source that is just someone regurgitating the same information that you have presented. I want to see the study. Now go back and find it.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/221153.pdf
Original post by KingStannis
One in 5 in collage is actually quite plausible for sexual assault, considering that groping is included.

Which is still an issue, but it's more plausible than 1 in 5 for rape itself.
So telling men not to rape is fine, but asking why women can't do certain things to prevent being rapped is bad??
Reply 105
Original post by VotreAltesse
So telling men not to rape is fine

Ofc.

If you find these instructions difficult, the least you can do is carry the rape whistle and blow it once you lose self control!
Original post by Truths
Ofc.

If you find these instructions difficult, the least you can do is carry the rape whistle and blow it once you lose self control!

Any reason why you cut my answer?
Original post by KingStannis

The 1-5 myth has been debunked regardless.
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Which is still an issue, but it's more plausible than 1 in 5 for rape itself.

yes, but having your arse grabbed is fairly trivial (though not acceptable), and feminists use that stat to try to make rape into a political issue.
Original post by So Instinct
The 1-5 myth has been debunked regardless.

i don't know lol, we get tonnes of stats thrown at us from all sides and I just assume they're all bs. Somebody makes them up on the internet, and people copy them assuming the person they heard it from had a credible source, and it spreads like chain mail.
Not particularly funny imo, though not particularly offensive to me.

I think there is a double standard, there'd certainly be an outcry if a male comedian wrote a list starting with:

1. Women, remember not to cry rape after you cheat on your boyfriend.
(edited 9 years ago)
In January 2013, the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), Office for National Statistics (ONS) and Home Office released its first ever joint Official Statistics bulletin on sexual violence, entitled An Overview of Sexual Offending in England and Wales.
It reported that:
- Approximately 85,000 women are raped on average in England and Wales every year
- Over 400,000 women are sexually assaulted each year
- 1 in 5 women (aged 16 - 59) has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16
Source: http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/Statistics2.php
To read the full report:http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/an-overview-of-sexual-offending-in-england---wales/december-2012/index.html

An unprecedented UN study of 10,000 men in Asia and the Pacific, released today, found that, on average, half of those interviewed reported using physical and/or sexual violence against a female partner, ranging from 26 per cent to 80 per cent across nine sites studied in six countries (Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Papua New Guinea). Nearly a quarter of the men interviewed reported raping a woman or girl. - See more at: http://www.unwomen.org/en/news/stories/2013/9/half-of-men-report-using-violence-and-a-quarter-perpetrate-rape-according-to-un-survey#sthash.d9pTDbQa.dpuf

On average, 2 women a week are killed by a current or former male
Source:http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic_violence_topic.asp?section=0001000100220036sionTitle=statistics

Women have been brutalised for as long as history can remember which is why men have become normalised to violence and rape. If you feel that you are associated with a group of people who do carry out acts that harm other people you will either defend yourself, defend the group of which you so closely relate or you will quash any indication of insult or injury to that group.

What young boys and men do not however seem to understand is that this blog post is an indication of the ridiculous things that women are told from an early age on how to protect themselves from rape. Advice such as "When being raped, shout fire" to "Carry an umbrella when leaving the house to protect yourself". It is a parody.

I have read on here about victim blaming. These are all true and if you do want me to do more leg work I shall post them. These are all victim blaming reasons as to why a women deserves her rape. "She wasn't wearing enough clothes", "She was drunk", "She was high", "She sleeps with everyone else" and the most painful one was a child who was raped "She looked older and she lead me one". The last gent was aquitted of raping the child.

I do wonder what it will take for victim blaming to stop but to also give more power into the hands of young males. I will never assume that because a young man see's a young woman he may want to rape her. I, and the feminist movement including #HeForShe movement run by the UN, respect young men and boys too much.

I am an older student and I speak from years of experience and most of all years of hearing about women being raped but blaming themselves, losing all confidence, becoming pregnant with rapist's babies and physical internal injury. To some people this all may be a bit of a joke, but the statistic stands for one in five. Between myself, my 11 year old sister, my mother, my nan and my grandmother...statistically one of us has or will be raped.

Rape is not a joke
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by VotreAltesse
Any reason why you cut my answer?

It was actually a question. And I'm sure you knew the answer.
Reply 113
Original post by Truths
This is why victims are so afraid to come forward. Because when it's a police man, teacher, priest, uncle, student that has raped them, they doubt themselves because everyone else at least see's them as "decent people". When really, everyone and anyone has it in them. We call them monster and act like their are different species to dissociate ourselves from the issue, when really these people are still a part and a product of our society. So, just know you are doing more harm than good with that simpleminded rhetoric.

Nonsense. You need to realise that the media publish a disproportionate amount of material concerning rape and those groups of people because people are interested in reading about that.
Reply 114
Original post by jaw1990
Nonsense. You need to realise that the media publish a disproportionate amount of material concerning rape and those groups of people because people are interested in reading about that.

I don't understand your point?
Reply 115
Original post by Truths
I don't understand your point?

You are sensationalising the issue of rape. Making it sound like ordinary law abiding citizens are a huge issue when it comes to rape. It's not true. If a teacher rapes someone it will be all over the papers. If it is a thug rapes someone it won't be.

Your post is pure hyperbole.
Original post by sacca
as soon as a PoC speaks out they aren't taken seriously #racism#patriachy#feminism

You can't just call somebody racist when they disagree with you. It has nothing to do with you being a person of colour, but with the point you made (duh).
Ah, of course, all men are potential rapists and all men need to be taught to restrain ourselves. Gee, if there were no messages like this I'd just be out raping women left, right and center.

Now, I understand this is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it doesn't stop it from being dumb and flawed. Of course teach people not to commit crimes (duh), but also teach people how to avoid being the victims of those crimes. This is how all sensible crime prevention is supposed to work. It's not an attack on the victims, nor does it detract from the idea that we should teach people not to commit crime.

At the end of the day, just "teaching people not to rape" isn't going to end rape. Did just teaching people not to steal and kill end theft and murder? Maybe I'll leave an educational anti-theft poster on my door instead of locking it next time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tatt0barbie

Women have been brutalised for as long as history can remember which is why men have become normalised to violence and rape. If you feel that you are associated with a group of people who do carry out acts that harm other people you will either defend yourself, defend the group of which you so closely relate or you will quash any indication of insult or injury to that group.

Do you mean to say that men regard rape as normal?
Original post by TurboCretin
Do you mean to say that men regard rape as normal?

Yes

Latest

Trending

Trending