The Student Room Group

Slade School of Fine Art Application Advice

Scroll to see replies

Were you all for BA or BFA?
Reply 961
Congrats to all those with offers from Slade. Well worth waiting, eh? :smile:
Original post by eei
Congrats to all those with offers from Slade. Well worth waiting, eh? :smile:

LOOOOOL sure was, hope you hear from stmarts soon!
Reply 963
Hopefully. If not, it will be Camberwell. See you around the town, fighting over that Turner Prize.
Just got an offer as well. Congrats guys!
Crib gratuitous everyone! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
*congratulations. Are you serious I hate my phone 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pity they haven't sent out the rest of the decisions, everyone will be kept on tenterhooks over the weekend :frown:
Original post by Frankengine
Congratulations everyone with offers! And best of luck to those who have had interview elsewhere. I also got an offer from the Slade! So relieved. What are the conditions of those with offers? I need a distinction...

I need a B grade in English (its complicated) and a pass in foundation....

Still need to phone up the slade because its still complicated...

should (fingers crossed) be ok tho....
Original post by Frankengine
Congratulations everyone with offers! And best of luck to those who have had interview elsewhere. I also got an offer from the Slade! So relieved. What are the conditions of those with offers? I need a distinction...

I just have to pass my foundation
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 971
Do what you do. There's no rule really.
Original post by billymparker
Can anyone with offers from Slade, Goldsmiths or st martins share their portfolio so prospectives can see what we need to do :smile:

There isn't a checklist for a good portfolio, each person I know with offers to these places (past and present) has a totally different portfolio from the next one. I would try to avoid getting bogged down in "showing all your skills" etc, and just show work you're passionate about and interested in, things you can talk about in some depth. If you take along a bunch of life drawing but there's no thought/motivation behind it except your teacher having made you do it you won't have much to talk about. They all want to see a student who is quite independent, can think for themselves and produce work they feel strongly about (positive or negative!)
Original post by ieestok
There isn't a checklist for a good portfolio, each person I know with offers to these places (past and present) has a totally different portfolio from the next one. I would try to avoid getting bogged down in "showing all your skills" etc, and just show work you're passionate about and interested in, things you can talk about in some depth. If you take along a bunch of life drawing but there's no thought/motivation behind it except your teacher having made you do it you won't have much to talk about. They all want to see a student who is quite independent, can think for themselves and produce work they feel strongly about (positive or negative!)

!?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by billymparker
yeh i understand that but it would be nice to see the kind of stuff that gets in ?

The only way you're going to get that is by asking people. If you're on foundation, ask if you can be put in touch with past students who have gotten in. Look on google, flickr etc, you can ask people on here personally or even contact current students? I don't know what more I can suggest. There's not one specific place you can look at. But like I said, bear in mind it depends on you.

Another option would be going to the university's shows at the end of the year. It'll give you an idea of the kind of work they're making and what they'll expect of you.
Does anyone know of people who haven't heard back from the Slade yet? Curious as to whether or not they've given out all the offers and rejections.
Reply 976
Original post by neworder_
Does anyone know of people who haven't heard back from the Slade yet? Curious as to whether or not they've given out all the offers and rejections.

Haven't heard yet. But now i'm convinced it's just an administrative process and they will be sending offers / rejections until tomorrow, I suppose. The wait is a bitch.
Original post by ksader
Haven't heard yet. But now i'm convinced it's just an administrative process and they will be sending offers / rejections until tomorrow, I suppose. The wait is a bitch.

Hopefully late = good! Judging from last year they seemed to give offers/rejections in 2 or 3 batches, so i imagine you're still in with a good chance, some people got offers in April last year.
Reply 978
Original post by neworder_
Hopefully late = good! Judging from last year they seemed to give offers/rejections in 2 or 3 batches, so i imagine you're still in with a good chance, some people got offers in April last year.

Yeah... april....... i'll be here incubating some stress herpes in the meantime.
(edited 9 years ago)
Rejection from goldsmiths came through this morning - I did say my interview was atrocious hahah!

Quick Reply

Latest