The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

why so many rapes/sexual assaults in u.k?

u.k government stats:

http://www.rapecrisis.org.uk/Statistics2.php

Approximately 85,000 women are raped on average in England and Wales every year

Over 400,000 women are sexually assaulted each year

1 in 5 women (aged 16 - 59) has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16.

why such a prevalence of sexual assaults in u.k?

why britain has such a high rate of rape both officially and unofficially?

Is there a rape culture in u.k?

How much is 1 in 5 women (aged 16-59) in total numbers?

How much rapes does 85000 a year equal every day and minutes per rape? 232 rapes per day.

How much does 400,000 sexual assaults equal to every day and minutes per assault? 1095 sexual assaults per day
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
would like girls/women to share their experiences of sexual abuse.
0.162 Rapes per minute and 0.761 sexual assaults per minute.
Let us assume each case is of a different person then, 1.2% of women are sexually assaulted and 0.262% of women raped per year.
Reply 4
Original post by zetamcfc
0.162 Rapes per minute and 0.761 sexual assaults per minute.

i wasn't asking PER minute, i meant how many minutes per rape

But how many rapes and sexual assaults is it per day?
It's crazy how these statistics seem to keep on rising...

Obviously rape has always happened over the years, but my take on why it's at such a high today is because of how over sexualised our society is. Sex is everywhere, and unfortunately there are stupid people out there who are so hooked on it that they think they can have it with whoever and whenever they want.
Original post by slade p
i wasn't asking PER minute, i meant how many minutes per rape

But how many rapes and sexual assaults is it per day?

1095 sexual assaults per day, 232 rapes per day.
So many as compared to what?
Also, I forgot to add that the reason for such high statistics could also possibly be because of false allegations?

Just came across this... http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/girl-who-cried-rape-after-5406386?fb_ref=Default#ICID=sharebar_facebook
Reply 9
Original post by zetamcfc
Let us assume each case is of a different person then, 1.2% of women are sexually assaulted and 0.262% of women raped per year.

That's really high comparatively, among the highest in the world.

1% means 1 in every 100 is assaulted which is extremely high.

Why isn't there more attention in u.k to it? hardly mentioned in the british media as if these shocking stats are acceptable and they don't care.

Btw you should be putting how much it is per 100,000, not the percentage.
Reply 10
Original post by DiddyDec
So many as compared to what?

Compared to everyone, it is among the highest. look at the U.N rate of rape stats, where britain's OFFICAL rate of rape is among the highest.

Also 1 in 5 been assaulted is generally extremely high, not just comparatively. 1 in 5 would be millions of women in u.k.
If you put the figure into a percentage of the female population it makes up a grand total of 0.0002% of the population. What a huge issue.
Reply 12
I am a man and have been sexually harassed by women on numerous occasions my good looks can be a curse at times. :/ it sucks
Original post by slade p
That's really high comparatively, among the highest in the world.

1% means 1 in every 100 is assaulted which is extremely high.

Why isn't there more attention in u.k to it? hardly mentioned in the british media as if these shocking stats are acceptable and they don't care.

Btw you should be putting how much it is per 100,000, not the percentage.

You are going to have to prove that assertion because I do not believe for one second that rape and sexual assault are higher in Britain than in many other cesspits we call countries.

It is worth noting that many progressive, Western countries such as Sweden saw huge increases in recorded rapes and sexual assaults in a number of years. This was not down to an actual increase (at least not at the level of statistical significance) but because they got better at taking these crimes seriously and recording them properly.

The UK was severely lagging in this respect. Only recently have we began taking abuse accusations seriously! Many women who were raped or sexually assaulted just didn't come forward because they felt they would be ignored or dismissed.

It may also be 'inflated' because of what we count as sexual assault. Historically, a man slapping a woman's backside may not have been perceived or recorded as sexual assault. Now a days it certainly is if that physical behaviour is unwanted.
It's surprisingly low in the UK compared to most countries. Instead of "why is so common in the UK" I'd ask "why is it so common with humans?"
Original post by slade p

would like girls/women to share their experiences of sexual abuse.

Possibly triggering content

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by slade p
Compared to everyone, it is among the highest. look at the U.N rate of rape stats, where britain's OFFICAL rate of rape is among the highest.

Also 1 in 5 been assaulted is generally extremely high, not just comparatively. 1 in 5 would be millions of women in u.k.

Some form of sexual violence, that includes groping which I think you would agree is nowhere even close to rape or sexual assault. The umbrella term of sexual violence is too broad of a phrase.

It would be the same as saying men have been a victim of violence if they got slapped or punched once, I'm sure the statistic would be massively blown out of proportion to actual violence.

So why is it that people suggest there is a rape culture but not a violence culture?

Don't try and politicise rape.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Vixen47
It's surprisingly low in the UK compared to most countries. Instead of "why is so common in the UK?" I'd ask "why is it so common with humans?"

I was molested by two people (not at the same time I think) when I was a kid, sexually assaulted by a stranger at 15, and then raped by another stranger at 18.

I didn't report any of them, but that's mostly because I didn't realise they happened until long after they happened.

I repressed the memories of what happened to me when I was a kid, but around the ages of about 16 or 17 some memories started coming to light and I've sloooowly been remembering more over the years. At the time it was happening I had no idea that it was a bad thing. I was told it was a game so that's how I saw it. I think the name was "love game". It was something so stupid and simple that a 6 year old could relate to it.

What happened when I was 15 was a bit weird at first and for about a month or two I didn't realise that it was what it was. I sort of knew that it was sexual assault but I didn't like to think of it so I just ignored it until I couldn't ignore it anymore.

The one that happened when I was 18 REALLY screwed me up. For the 8/9 months after it happened I was so sure I cheated on my boyfriend at the time and I hated myself for it. About 2 months after we broke up I was still dealing with the rape but because I didn't realise that it was rape I punished myself and started sleeping around A LOT because I became incredibly self-destructive. The rape happened in January 2012, and I think it was in October that year that the memories started coming back (like my childhood, I tried repressing and suppressing these memories too). The most vivid one I remembered was me saying no to the guy and trying to stop him from doing it. Over the next year or two I started understanding more about what happened to me and realised that it was the kind of rape where the victim is manipulated into doing it. I feared what might happened to me (being beaten or murdered) if I didn't go along with it so I gave in because, well, survival I guess? The reason I spent so long thinking it was my fault was because I went along with it. It didn't hit me that I went along with it because I had no other choice. The triggers that made me realise that it wasn't my fault were seeing people on TVshows and in documentaries experience or recount the same/really similar experiences.

To this day I still can't help but blame myself for all four. I'm terrified it'll keep happening to me because it keeps happening to me. During a conversation I had with my fiance (the only person irl who knows about them all) I said something like "what's wrong with me? I'm like a magnet to rapists" and he said "nothing is wrong with you." That's the first time in my life that I got any kind of reassurance over this.

Actually just for rape it's among the highest just from the official figures, 15,000 rapes officially recorded in uk amounts to 28 rapes per 100,000 people which is among the highest.

so 85,000 would be around 150 rapes per 100,000 people which is about the same as south africa's official rate of rape.

You are an example of the many women RAPED who did not report it.
Reply 17
Original post by DiddyDec
Some form of sexual violence, that includes groping which I think you would agree is nowhere even close to rape or sexual assault. The umbrella term of sexual violence is too broad of a phrase.

It would be the same as saying men have been a victim of violence if they got slapped or punched once, I'm sure the statistic would be massively blown out of proportion to actual violence.

So why is it that people suggest there is a rape culture but not a violence culture?

Don't try and politicise rape.

Britain is in denial over both a rape culture and violence culture. They deliberately don't talk about it on media because they want to pretend everything is fine.

232 rapes every days in britain. why the media never mention that?
Original post by slade p
Actually just for rape it's among the highest just from the official figures, 15,000 rapes officially recorded in uk amounts to 28 rapes per 100,000 people which is among the highest.

so 85,000 would be around 150 rapes per 100,000 people which is about the same as south africa's official rate of rape.

You are an example of the many women RAPED who did not report it.

I was going to mention something about that but I didnt want to get into it too much because my opinion on statistics/official figures (especially for this particular thing) is messy. I'm really not a fan of official figures so I ignore them for the most part. They're good because they're probably the only way we can get some kind of idea of what the number could be, but the vast majority of assaults go unreported so I don't take the official numbers too seriously.
Original post by slade p
Britain is in denial over both a rape culture and violence culture. They deliberately don't talk about it on media because they want to pretend everything is fine.

232 rapes every days in britain. why the media never mention that?

They do. The media are always taking about rape.

There isn't a rape culture and there isn't a violence culture.

Rape has never been seen as culturally acceptable, that is the reason we see men having their lives ruined just for being accused of rape, they don't even need to be found guilty and their name and reputation has been tarnished for life.

Don't blow it out of proportion.

Latest

Trending

Trending