The Student Room Group

Referee report for graduate entry medicine

Hey all

So I'm finishing university in two months (scary!) and I have been considering going into a degree in medicine. Now at the moment this is all just a vague idea about what I want to do with myself in the future.

The problem is I sufferer from a long term mental illness which has meant I have had to take lots of time out of university and ruined my second year marks. My attendance has also been about 20-30% so I'm really worried about getting a reference from the Uni to give to my next course provider.

As it's medicine I was going to do an access course at a college for a year before I appy from a Degree course.

If I did do that, could I just put whoever taught me at the college down as a referee instead of the university? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Yake-o
Hey all

So I'm finishing university in two months (scary!) and I have been considering going into a degree in medicine. Now at the moment this is all just a vague idea about what I want to do with myself in the future.

The problem is I sufferer from a long term mental illness which has meant I have had to take lots of time out of university and ruined my second year marks. My attendance has also been about 20-30% so I'm really worried about getting a reference from the Uni to give to my next course provider.

As it's medicine I was going to do an access course at a college for a year before I appy from a Degree course.

If I did do that, could I just put whoever taught me at the college down as a referee instead of the university? Or any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

You nominate your own referee, don't worry!
Original post by Yake-o
Hey all

Thanks in advance

Why are you doing an access course if you will have a degree?
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
Why are you doing an access course if you will have a degree?

I havea degree in English Lit and Philosophy so it's not really applicable to sciences. I know I would need to get some A-level knowledge in Chemistry before I could consider doing the course anyway, so I think it'll be good prep.

And I don't think there is anyone at the uni I would nominate as my referee as I don't trust anyone to give me a good reference.
Original post by Yake-o
I havea degree in English Lit and Philosophy so it's not really applicable to sciences. I know I would need to get some A-level knowledge in Chemistry before I could consider doing the course anyway, so I think it'll be good prep.

And I don't think there is anyone at the uni I would nominate as my referee as I don't trust anyone to give me a good reference.

Just fyi, I'm a classics graduate and I had 3 offers this year...you don't need to do an access course just because of your lack of sciences! Check out my post history and you'll see how I went about it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JenniB22
Just fyi, I'm a classics graduate and I had 3 offers this year...you don't need to do an access course just because of your lack of sciences! Check out my post history and you'll see how I went about it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Yake-o

Listen to Jenni. You don't need a science background for GEM. Plus I highly doubt you would qualify for an access course (they're designed for mature students who have been out of education) and universities would look at your degree anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending