The Student Room Group

Sociology 2014 paper

Anyone know if the AS sociology summer 2014 exam paper has been released anywhere online, I checked AQA website but their latest is june 2013.

(I am on AQA exam board)
Reply 1
It won't be released until next year probably:mad:
As above. You won't find the latest exams, perhaps as schools would want to use them for mock exams.
Reply 3
you have to dig through old student room chats to find students discussing the paper, that's how most people find out the questions from the latest paper questions as they're not released till much later. It's mainly released late because the boards know they're normally used in mocks and such and are thus only available to teachers with a pass. :smile:
June exams are released the following Easter for AQA I believe, so a few more weeks/months to go. However if you desperately need it you can buy it on the AQA store.
is anybody here doing CIE??? please help me!!!!!!!!
Reply 6
okay thanks everyone :-)
Reply 7
Original post by broce003
okay thanks everyone :-)

My teacher allowed us to see what came up to priorities our revision topics

June 2014 Unit 1;
Explain what is meant by a 'beanpole' family [2 marks]
Identify ways in which men may exploit and/or oppress women within families [4 marks]
Identify three features of a symmetrical family [6 marks]
Examine the reasons for changing patterns of marriage and divorce over the last 50 years or so. [24 marks]
Using material from Item 2B, and elsewhere, assess the view that an ageing population created problems for society. [24 marks]

I didn't see what came up for Unit 2 though, hope this helps :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by gsonro
My teacher allowed us to see what came up to priorities our revision topics

June 2014 Unit 1;
Explain what is meant by a 'beanpole' family [2 marks]
Identify ways in which men may exploit and/or oppress women within families [4 marks]
Identify three features of a symmetrical family [6 marks]
Examine the reasons for changing patterns of marriage and divorce over the last 50 years or so. [24 marks]
Using material from Item 2B, and elsewhere, assess the view that an ageing population created problems for society. [24 marks]

I didn't see what came up for Unit 2 though, hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much, that is very helpful :biggrin:
Thank you very much, that is very helpful :biggrin:

I remember that paper and unit 2 Aswell
For me I got
2/2 4/4 6/6 23/24 then 17/24 because the last question was hard
Reply 10
Original post by Magnus Taylor
For me I got

That last question is very hard!

I doubt the same question would come up this year but just incase (examiners are mean)

I think possibly talk about..

- Public services (older people consume a larger proportion of services, provision of houses and transport and other services)
- The number of 1 person households has increased, meaning number of houses available for the population has decreased
- Griffiths report (1988) - society facing the problem of meeting the escalating costs of health and social care for the growing numbers of old people.
- 'Pensions time bomb' fears about how society will meet the cost of providing pensions for the elderly.
- 'ageism' negative stereotyping of people on the basis of their age - often portrays the old as vulnerable, incompetent or irrational and as a burden to society
- Peter Townsend (1981) one reason for negative attitudes to the elderly in our society is that old age has been socially constructed as a period of dependency by creating a statutory retirement age at which most people are expected or required to stop working and are forced to reply on inadequate benefits that push many into poverty.
- Hirsh - main problem of an ageing population will be how to finance a longer period of old age. This can be done by paying more from our savings and taxes while we are working or by continuing to work for longer, or a combination of both.
Hirsh argues that we need to reverse the current trend towards earlier retirement. One way of doing this is by redistributing educational resources towards older people so they can retrain and improve their skills and so continue earning.
- Similarly, there may need to be changes in housing policy to encourage older people to 'trade down' into smaller accommodation and retirement homes. This would release wealth to improve their standard of living and free up housing resources for younger people.

I doubt the same question would come up this year but just incase (examiners are mean)

- Public services (older people consume a larger proportion of services, provision of houses and transport and other services)
- The number of 1 person households has increased, meaning number of houses available for the population has decreased
- Griffiths report (1988) - society facing the problem of meeting the escalating costs of health and social care for the growing numbers of old people.
- 'Pensions time bomb' fears about how society will meet the cost of providing pensions for the elderly.
- 'ageism' negative stereotyping of people on the basis of their age - often portrays the old as vulnerable, incompetent or irrational and as a burden to society
- Peter Townsend (1981) one reason for negative attitudes to the elderly in our society is that old age has been socially constructed as a period of dependency by creating a statutory retirement age at which most people are expected or required to stop working and are forced to reply on inadequate benefits that push many into poverty.
- Hirsh - main problem of an ageing population will be how to finance a longer period of old age. This can be done by paying more from our savings and taxes while we are working or by continuing to work for longer, or a combination of both.
Hirsh argues that we need to reverse the current trend towards earlier retirement. One way of doing this is by redistributing educational resources towards older people so they can retrain and improve their skills and so continue earning.
- Similarly, there may need to be changes in housing policy to encourage older people to 'trade down' into smaller accommodation and retirement homes. This would release wealth to improve their standard of living and free up housing resources for younger people.

That seems good, in the exam I went for the argument it was socially constructed. The second exam was a bit trickier overall my UMS for Year 12 was 80/80 and 104/120. Currently doing A2 and it is significantly harder!
Reply 12
For me I got

Did you do education for Unit 2? If you did, could you post what came up for the 20 marker last year please? :smile:
Reply 13

This is what I wrote about when I did this question :smile:
Reply 14
That seems good, in the exam I went for the argument it was socially constructed. The second exam was a bit trickier overall my UMS for Year 12 was 80/80 and 104/120. Currently doing A2 and it is significantly harder!

I'm currently doing A2 and have to agree about how much harder it is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending