The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone watched Baccano?
Original post by chezsu
Has anyone watched Baccano?

Yes, I finished rewatching it a few months ago. A great series with one of the best casts of characters I've ever come across in anime. :yes:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'll try not to disappoint! :tongue: My top recommendations for romance would be:

Sakamichi no Apollon - which also has a music theme, like Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso.

ef - a tale of memories - fantastic animation direction in this series, and its sequel, a tale of melodies.

The Rose of Versailles - if you don't mind something a fair bit older, this is a classic! :biggrin:

Rec - short but sweet, and one of the first few series I watched.

Suki-tte Ii na yo. - A bit more realistic than most high school romance series.

Hopefully there's something there of interest, that you haven't already watched. :smile:

Haven't seen any of them. But given that it is the string break next week.. Gotta stock on anime to watch :

Thanks for all those recommendations though :biggrin:
So this week I decided to rewatch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood on a whim, and yeap, still a fantastic show. Knew I had it sitting at #1 in my top 50 for a good reason! My taste is still flawless :giggle:

Although given how much I struggled to decide on a team for the upcoming FAL season on MAL I think I am pretty out of touch with what most MAL users enjoy...... Suppose this is what happens when I spend most of my time only talking with a rather small circle of anime bloggers!
Anybody watch Inuyasha? I'm only 60 something episodes in (I know it's over), but I love it. 2 of my best friends got me to watch Attack on Titan as well and I thought it was excellent. I also have started One Piece (I've got my work cut out for me) and Sword Art Online, but I haven't heard great things about the 2nd half of SAO. I also liked Tsubasa Chronicles and Cardcaptor Sakura, and I watched Tokyo Mew Mew around that time too (this was several years ago). I've also seen Angel Beats, Deathnote, Devil Survivor 2, and Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (I highly recommend those 4 - especially the last one). I want to watch Tears to Tiara too. I will admit to watching Heartcatch PreCure, but I didn't like it.

I also think it would be awesome if Bloody Monday was made into an anime (I've read parts of the manga and have almost finished the drama)
(edited 9 years ago)
Finished the Give My Regards to Black Jack sequel - a great ending, though I wish MANGA REBORN had translated that one page in the final chapter, one of the last pages in the whole story which actually had text. A lot of dialogue. :s:

Reading Kyou Kara Yonshimai next. :biggrin:
And that's the end of Parasyte. I don't think the last few episodes were as strong as the rest but they were still very good. Today's finale felt a lot more like an epilogue really - it's a shame they didn't release 23 and 24 together as it would've gone down better with people. Still, I rate this as an absolute top tier show, one of the best I've seen with probably the best character development in terms of Shinichi. Wednesdays just aren't going to be the same; finally resolving the cliffhanger I've been waiting to find the answer to, only to get another one.
It's that time of year again. Where the end of anime season feels being to resurface :cry2: Aww man some brilliant animes came out this season. Really enjoyed what it had to offer.
An awful end to Tokyo Ghoul Root A, not that I expected anything different. Scares me that they showed the :re cafe at the end; they need to let this die before they butcher it some more. I can't imagine how the anime only viewers must feel after that. They're probably still wondering who the guy was that beat Kaneki up back in the prison. If you are an anime only viewer, then you should read the manga from chapter 1. Pierrot cut and changed plenty of it and it's actually a brilliant story that they haven't done justice to at all.

Just have to hope that one day in the future we get a remake of this that follows the manga. Madhouse pls.
Tokyo Ghoul was an anticlimax all the way through for me.
I'm still waiting for Anime-Planet to update Tokyo Ghoul √A and Shirobako, I can't watch them if I can't update my list! :hmmm:

I have seen the final episodes of Akatsuki no Yona (needs a sequel!), Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! (practically a perfect ending) and Parasyte (not bad at all), however. :yes:
Approaching episode 17 of Durarara!! REALLY enjoying it at the moment, thanks for the commendation AJ! I always laugh at the interaction between Shizou and Izaya. :biggrin:

Like Baccano, it's an manga/anime which seems to craft and develop pretty much every character, and plays with time and narration in really interesting ways. None of the characters seem, to me at least, reduced to mere plot devices, filler or props for a couple of central characters. Unlike Aldnoah... That said, as much as I often berate Aldnoah, I'm still watching it. For all its faults, the music is pretty ace!

Are there any animes similar to Durarara and Bacanno, perhaps in terms of character framing and development?

I stuck with Parasyte: The Maxim, and felt rewarded. I'm happy it didn't turn into a typical Shoenen where the protagonist aims to become stronger and stronger to defeat an endless stream of bad guys.

Spoiler

Original post by El Nombre
Approaching episode 17 of Durarara!! REALLY enjoying it at the moment, thanks for the commendation AJ! I always laugh at the interaction between Shizou and Izaya. :biggrin:

No problem! :biggrin:

Original post by El Nombre
Are there any animes similar to Durarara and Bacanno, perhaps in terms of character framing and development?

The series that springs to mind most is Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra. It's got a completely different plot, but a similar storytelling style to Baccano!, switching from character to character, and featuring a lot of flashbacks to past events. Not all the cast members are as well developed as those in Baccano!/Durarara!!, but those that do get developed are very interesting. :smile:

Monster also does a good job of telling a great story from the point of view of multiple characters, but bear in mind that it's longer and slower-paced, so it takes a while to get really good.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I'm still waiting for Anime-Planet to update Tokyo Ghoul √A and Shirobako, I can't watch them if I can't update my list! :hmmm:

I have seen the final episodes of Akatsuki no Yona (needs a sequel!), Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu Love! (practically a perfect ending) and Parasyte (not bad at all), however. :yes:

I think there definitely will be considering that the anime ended not even halfway through the manga :woo: Really one of the best this season in terms of the character development, and it was so refreshing having a female lead with some backbone, but who's behaviour was also realistic. Man I could just feel the tension between her and Hak :daydreaming:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-28/steins-gate-0-follow-up-game-and-anime-announced/.86470

This has the potential to be really good, but at the same time I feel like we don't need anymore. Definitely watching it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60svW9uElXk
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-28/steins-gate-0-follow-up-game-and-anime-announced/.86470

This has the potential to be really good, but at the same time I feel like we don't need anymore. Definitely watching it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60svW9uElXk

Beat me to it. :p:

As well as the above-linked Steins;Gate follow up, Chaos;Child is also getting an anime (that's the fourth in the 'Science Adventure' series, after Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes).

And from the same creator, Occultic;Nine is getting a game. And another visual novel, Anonymous;Code, is in the works. While not part of the same Science Adventure series, I hope they'll ride on its popularity and get anime series eventually. :biggrin:

Are they worth watching? Don't seem to be rated particularly well there.
Original post by xDave-
Are they worth watching? Don't seem to be rated particularly well there.

Chaos;Head started well, but fell apart more and more as it went along. I've no doubt the original VN had a great story, but at just 12 episodes the anime adaptation was rushed and the characters shallow and underdeveloped. I wouldn't recommend it highly.

Robotics;Notes was better than Chaos;Head from a character/pacing point of view, but it's certainly no Steins;Gate (though few series are quite that good). Slightly better than average IMO, worth the watch if the synopsis sounds interesting to you. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
:hello:

Last week I ended up watching all of "Good luck girl" in one day, which long times stalkers may recall is unusual for me as I usually take a lot of time*

Quite enjoyed it, but from the amazon cover on pre order a few months back I thought it was about some little girl bringing happiness to people as I didn't notice bewbs.

*I've been meaning to watch Part Two of Attack on Titan for a few months now. I've enjoyed the show, I've just tended to go to games/movies/TV shows and youtube :yes:
:hi:

So, I quickly demolished through the list that AngryJellyfish recommended me, so now I'm on the hunt for some new recommendations :colone:
I will try and get back on Anime-Planet so I can keep a list sometime!

Thanks! :grin:

Latest