The Student Room Group

The hitchhiker's guide to A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Katniss15
Core one for maths, which is quite nice to be honest. Easing our way in. You?

Mine is psychology first , but then two days after it is maths C1, which i just love:colondollar:
Reply 121
Yeah, I understand most of it. its mostly the matrix angles stuff. We do complex numbers, matrices, algebra identies, graphs and inequalities, and proof by induction

i really dont like the algebra stuff. Some of it makes sense, but then the rest of it gives me headaches! Haha

how are you finding it?

Not as bad as I thought
I still find matrices and complex numbers a strange idea to grasp and there's a lot more about limits and infinity with FP1
Are you thinking about doing A-Level physics? I would really recommend it I absolutely love it! But I am really biased towards it :biggrin:

Yep, that's what I've applied for! The exam board is OCR - which exam board are you doing? :tongue:
Reply 123
Original post by Clovers
Mine is psychology first , but then two days after it is maths C1, which i just love:colondollar:

Yeah, I love it too. But I have FP1 the day after so it will be for one extreame to the other haha! What do you finish on and which one are you most dreading?
Reply 124
Original post by NT226
Not as bad as I thought
I still find matrices and complex numbers a strange idea to grasp and there's a lot more about limits and infinity with FP1

Um, we have started to do past papers and I'm finding it a lot easier than I thought it would be, which is a positive. Im still getting a bit confused with the rearranging in induction :confused: the graphs are also a bit strange! Nothing like the ones in core one haha
Reply 125
Original post by Lauren-x-
Yep, that's what I've applied for! The exam board is OCR - which exam board are you doing? :tongue:

Cool, hopefully you will enjoy it. It will be quite hard at the start but when it gets to January it will be a lot easier. Just make sure to keep persevering with it. And I do OCR Physics also, so i would be able to offer help next year.

what else are you going to do? Do you have any ideas for uni?
Reply 126
Hi,

today i have been starting holiday homework.. Have soo much. Don't know whether or not it will get done in time. Have a disney day with friends tomorrow, so i dont think I will get much done. But I will try to go over some notes on the evening.

bring on easter!
Cool, hopefully you will enjoy it. It will be quite hard at the start but when it gets to January it will be a lot easier. Just make sure to keep persevering with it. And I do OCR Physics also, so i would be able to offer help next year.

what else are you going to do? Do you have any ideas for uni?

Other A-Levels: Maths, Further maths and History.
Don't really know what I want to do in the future...at uni, either maths or something history/politics/law related but I'm not sure! I was set on studying maths at uni and then becoming a maths teacher but I'm so indecisive! What about yourself? :smile:
Reply 128
Other A-Levels: Maths, Further maths and History.
Don't really know what I want to do in the future...at uni, either maths or something history/politics/law related but I'm not sure! I was set on studying maths at uni and then becoming a maths teacher but I'm so indecisive! What about yourself? :smile:

I have heard maths is really good at uni. I'm doing physics, maths, further maths and chemistry, and I'm hoping to study either theoretical physics or physics and astronomy at university.

How are your GCSEs going?
I have heard maths is really good at uni. I'm doing physics, maths, further maths and chemistry, and I'm hoping to study either theoretical physics or physics and astronomy at university.

How are your GCSEs going?

Aah, cool!
They're going fine thanks. I did okay in my mocks but I'd really like an A* in physics! (I was happy with an A though).
Stressing about them a little bit, particularly the sciences and history. We missed out on learning 75% of P2 (Additional) last year due to teaching issues, so catching up has been quite stressful - thank god it's Easter!!
What year are you in; do you have any exams this year?
Yeah, I love it too. But I have FP1 the day after so it will be for one extreame to the other haha! What do you finish on and which one are you most dreading?

My last is on the 5th of june which is S1, which I would say I am dreading the most as i hate stats but then there is the psychology core studies on the 18th of may :frown:

What about you?
Reply 131
Aah, cool!
They're going fine thanks. I did okay in my mocks but I'd really like an A* in physics! (I was happy with an A though).
Stressing about them a little bit, particularly the sciences and history. We missed out on learning 75% of P2 (Additional) last year due to teaching issues, so catching up has been quite stressful - thank god it's Easter!!
What year are you in; do you have any exams this year?

Im sure you will do great!
Im in year 12 and I will be sitting 13 exams in the summer, which should be loads of fun! Haha :smile:
Reply 132
Original post by Clovers
My last is on the 5th of june which is S1, which I would say I am dreading the most as i hate stats but then there is the psychology core studies on the 18th of may :frown:

What about you?

um yeah I hate stats as well. We finish with mechanics which could go either way really. The annoying part is that because it's a Y13 module, my study leave runs out the day before. Im most dreading chemistry unit one, I really dont like it :confused:
um yeah I hate stats as well. We finish with mechanics which could go either way really. The annoying part is that because it's a Y13 module, my study leave runs out the day before. Im most dreading chemistry unit one, I really dont like it :confused:

Hmmmm, really I found chem 1 the easiest! are you doing AQA? if so what don't you like?
Reply 134
Original post by Clovers
Hmmmm, really I found chem 1 the easiest! are you doing AQA? if so what don't you like?

No, I do OCR. i just have a mental block with it, I also had a terrible teacher at GCSE so I didn't really learn anything. I'm starting to get used to unit two, but the mole calculations and explaing ionisation energy and structure can be difficult to me :frown:
No, I do OCR. i just have a mental block with it, I also had a terrible teacher at GCSE so I didn't really learn anything. I'm starting to get used to unit two, but the mole calculations and explaing ionisation energy and structure can be difficult to me :frown:

Oh right! thats probably why hmmm i think for those it is just memorising trends isnt it; down the group, across the period, i also get a bit stuck on the amount of substance calculations :biggrin: so dont worry you'll be fine!
Reply 136
Original post by Clovers
Oh right! thats probably why hmmm i think for those it is just memorising trends isnt it; down the group, across the period, i also get a bit stuck on the amount of substance calculations :biggrin: so dont worry you'll be fine!

aw thanks, i think I might be able to do ok. It is just knowing when to talk about what trend that throughs me a bit. I'll get there :smile:
aw thanks, i think I might be able to do ok. It is just knowing when to talk about what trend that throughs me a bit. I'll get there :smile:

:biggrin: yes! you will, hopefully :smile:
Reply 138
Original post by Clovers
:biggrin: yes! you will, hopefully :smile:

thanks, how's your revision going?
Reply 139
Hi!

sorry it has been a while - been so busy and ill :reaper:

Over the Easter holidays I have to;
- complete 7 chemistry spec point booklets
- do three chemistry past papers
- do 8 physics spec point booklets
- complete one core one, core two, mechanics 1, decision 1 and stats 1 past paper
- do two stats 2 and FP1 past papers
- read a popular physics book

and now I need a filling :frown:

better get a move on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending