The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slowbro93
So I got an invite to Imperial :tongue: Won't go though tbh

Whyyyy not? :colone:

I got a PhD offer from them today. I'm gonna be a ****ing doctor haaaaaaaa.
Original post by Serentonin
Whyyyy not? :colone:

I got a PhD offer from them today. I'm gonna be a ****ing doctor haaaaaaaa.

:woo: Well done! :biggrin:

Well I've fallen in love with Leeds and Imperial messed me around for a range of reasons :erm:

How are you? :h:
:woo: Well done! :biggrin:

Well I've fallen in love with Leeds and Imperial messed me around for a range of reasons :erm:

How are you? :h:

Ahh nicee. Leeds is lovely tbf. You did your undergrad at imperal didn't you (or am I mistaking you for someone else?) - if you did, can understand why you'd want to go elsewhere...as much as I adore Exeter, I want a change of scenery.

We're gonna be doctors, aha go us :five:

I'm pretty good thanks, finished uni for the term, two exams and a piece of coursework and then I'm done forever here, which is ****ing scary. You?
Ahh nicee. Leeds is lovely tbf. You did your undergrad at imperal didn't you (or am I mistaking you for someone else?) - if you did, can understand why you'd want to go elsewhere...as much as I adore Exeter, I want a change of scenery.

We're gonna be doctors, aha go us :five:

I'm pretty good thanks, finished uni for the term, two exams and a piece of coursework and then I'm done forever here, which is ****ing scary. You?

:nah: Did my undergrad at King's and I think I just need to get out of London tbh :tongue: The thought of that scares me so much but we're gonna be awesome doctors :ahee:

:woo: I know it's scary but at least you know what's happening in September which is good :h: I'm fine however ...

Spoiler

You broke up with the boy right?
:nah: Did my undergrad at King's and I think I just need to get out of London tbh :tongue: The thought of that scares me so much but we're gonna be awesome doctors :ahee:

:woo: I know it's scary but at least you know what's happening in September which is good :h: I'm fine however ...

Spoiler

You broke up with the boy right?

Ah, I was sure you were there haha, oops :colondollar:. Aha I can understand that tbh, it's nice to move around. Ahaha its so ****ing scary the idea of actually doing this - but we can, go us :colone:

Ah, don't feel like that! I've been though that kinda stage and found in the end that I wanted stability too - its nice for a short period, but sometimes you just want someone to rely on. Doesn't mean that it's bad, or that you should judge yourself for it either!

Yeah, I did. He's an idiot.
Ah, I was sure you were there haha, oops :colondollar:. Aha I can understand that tbh, it's nice to move around. Ahaha its so ****ing scary the idea of actually doing this - but we can, go us :colone:

Ah, don't feel like that! I've been though that kinda stage and found in the end that I wanted stability too - its nice for a short period, but sometimes you just want someone to rely on. Doesn't mean that it's bad, or that you should judge yourself for it either!

Yeah, I did. He's an idiot.

Yeah I guess so :tongue: Partly did it as a rebound and now I've been at it for a while (long story short, girl I really liked rejected me and that kinda kick started it. Also found myself in a STI clinic and came back clear of everything :tongue: )

I'm so glad :woo: Wanted to murder him tbh
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with group work with a useless group?

I'm in a group of 5, 3 of us actually work but the other 2 are nightmares! One has completely ignored every email/text sent to him and the other has only replied once but hasn't actually done any work. Have no idea what to do. I still include those 2 people in emails about work, so I am trying to involve them and ask them to do some work but I am getting nothing back :/
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
Does anyone have any tips on dealing with group work with a useless group?

I'm in a group of 5, 3 of us actually work but the other 2 are nightmares! One has completely ignored every email/text sent to him and the other has only replied once but hasn't actually done any work. Have no idea what to do. I still include those 2 people in emails about work, so I am trying to involve them and ask them to do some work but I am getting nothing back :/

Tell whoever is leading the unit for the group work.

Balance that with being fair though. When is the deadline? Maybe they've had **** going on. Don't immediately assume they're lazy. Try communicating with them again - chase them up!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Tell whoever is leading the unit for the group work.

Balance that with being fair though. When is the deadline? Maybe they've had **** going on. Don't immediately assume they're lazy. Try communicating with them again - chase them up!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the deadline was meant to be the thursday just gone but it got extended- even then they haven't done any work at all.
We've had this coursework brief since the start of March and I have communicated with them! I have sent at least 6 emails since then, asking them to think of ideas, to send the ideas they thought of, help with certain parts of the work and asking them to do bits of it and I am getting ignored. I understand they may have stuff to do or other deadlines but I don't think that allows them to not work :angry:
Well the deadline was meant to be the thursday just gone but it got extended- even then they haven't done any work at all.
We've had this coursework brief since the start of March and I have communicated with them! I have sent at least 6 emails since then, asking them to think of ideas, to send the ideas they thought of, help with certain parts of the work and asking them to do bits of it and I am getting ignored. I understand they may have stuff to do or other deadlines but I don't think that allows them to not work :angry:

Then contact someone at uni, common sense no? :wink:

Haha it is but I feel mean doing it :lol: Not sure why as they piss me off so much haha

The only thing that would stop me is fear of the person saying something along the lines of "ur an adult now, sort it urself, teamwork in the real world hurr durr" (or something coherent, but you know this is what it would actually mean)
Haha it is but I feel mean doing it :lol: Not sure why as they piss me off so much haha

Don't feel mean doing it - they're affecting your degree! They're the ones being mean!
Original post by sliceofcake
The only thing that would stop me is fear of the person saying something along the lines of "ur an adult now, sort it urself, teamwork in the real world hurr durr" (or something coherent, but you know this is what it would actually mean)

Thats what I think about too! Not sure how I can sort it myself though other than what I'm doing

Original post by rayquaza17
Don't feel mean doing it - they're affecting your degree! They're the ones being mean!

I've finally started my coursework. Am actually ****ting myself with the thought that in 2 months and 1 week, I'll no longer be a student.
Booooo grad scheme applications are tricky. I only have one I'm applying to so no idea how some people deal with the stress of applying to lots of different things! I'm finding it to be a massive distraction from my dissertation too...
This Easter i have to write up three modules worth of lecture, thats about 50 hours :/
Why do I repeatly do this too myself, need that first though!
Thats what I think about too! Not sure how I can sort it myself though other than what I'm doing

Honestly it's fine. You can't force people to work. You've done everything you can do. Take along the emails or something to show them. At my uni they made it clear from the beginning if anyone messes about to let them know.. and at the end we all had to sign to say everyone contributed equally to the project (anyone who didn't contribute enough would get fewer marks or none at all and no credit points)

I hope you get it sorted soon, must be so frustrating.
Honestly it's fine. You can't force people to work. You've done everything you can do. Take along the emails or something to show them. At my uni they made it clear from the beginning if anyone messes about to let them know.. and at the end we all had to sign to say everyone contributed equally to the project (anyone who didn't contribute enough would get fewer marks or none at all and no credit points)

I hope you get it sorted soon, must be so frustrating.

Really is! Don't know what I would have done if the deadline hadn't been extended. The coursework is way too much for 2-3 people to do!

I know we have to do a report as part of the coursework and my tutor said we can mention anything like that in there, so I'll probably do that at the very least.

Thank you so much for your advice :smile:
After a massive struggle got my essay in on time today. Thank goodness for online submission because I'm still at home. Just going to do a bit of general reading before I get back to the grind tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending