The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MissLalaxx
S1 I'll google that now. I've done a lot worse I'm sure so I should be able to handle it but thanks for briefing me. I should be fine hopefully.

You should be fine.. Most people are if they work at it
If you're curious.. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MS-SS1A-W-QP-JUN13.PDF
No problem! :smile:
Original post by Binary Freak
You should be fine.. Most people are if they work at it
If you're curious.. http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MS-SS1A-W-QP-JUN13.PDF
No problem! :smile:

Thank you you've been really helpful. I'll have a look now. Thanks again.:smile:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I know, I'm growing :fan: I don't see the point in followers anyway. But look at you with your 69 :woo:

I only joined because I like tortoises :rolleyes:

I'll start off gently, my chainsaw will come next...

Making your way up on TSR :holmes:

I know.. But it serves purpose of gibing me a false sense of popularity :smug:

I love tortoises.. But I have bearded dragons!! :biggrin:

Good.. Sounds like I can agree.. Only if the chainsaw is embedded with magical properties :proud:
Original post by scrunkie
A-Levels are HARDER than Btec. It's simply a fact.

Something that I hate is that excellence scholarships are offered to Btec students with DDD and A-Level students with AAA. As if a Distinction is equivalent to an A in A-Level. An A is so much harder to obtain than Distinctions so that's not fair at all.

Should have done a **** Btec and got some extra money from it and still do the same course at the same University. What utter nonsense.

preach. i remember in gcses, those who did science btec were all the ones who were considered 'less abled' and they were all relaxed and stuff. then i remember me taking core and additional and my struggle with c2 and dread of the exam whereas btec students just do coursework and even then they get help from teachers. as for a levels.. im currently in year 12 taking english lit. geography, psychology and philosophy and ethics and the coursework for english was killer. even coursework for a level students is harder than btec coursework. fact.

a level students dont 'look down' on btec students.. its just a fact that a levels are harder and an a is harder to obtain. we do not think were superior, we think that our qualifications are worth slightly more because it is harder for us to get them.. and thats only fair.
Original post by Patrick2810
Maybe because the majority of students doing them are the less-able students?

preach.
From my own experience (I'm sure others have seen this)
Some BTEC students who are too lazy to finish their work will get some "help" from the teacher. They then walk away with a grade higher than they deserve.
A-level students don't have that luxury.

P.S. I genuinely agree that some students actually are more suited to vocational subjects (everybody doesn't learn the same way).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by twinchingtoe
preach. i remember in gcses, those who did science btec were all the ones who were considered 'less abled' and they were all relaxed and stuff. then i remember me taking core and additional and my struggle with c2 and dread of the exam whereas btec students just do coursework and even then they get help from teachers. as for a levels.. im currently in year 12 taking english lit. geography, psychology and philosophy and ethics and the coursework for english was killer. even coursework for a level students is harder than btec coursework. fact.

a level students dont 'look down' on btec students.. its just a fact that a levels are harder and an a is harder to obtain. we do not think were superior, we think that our qualifications are worth slightly more because it is harder for us to get them.. and thats only fair.

No. That's opinion since it is relative. Anyway.. In what way is the coursework any different? If I recall examination boards changed the rules so you can no longer resubmit. They're on equal playing field provided the institution follows the rule.

Some of the A-levels are harder and some of them are easier. It depends on the individual. Even so.. It doesn't give you or anyone the right to try and slander or be hostile.
I agree slightly, some people doing BTECs aren't too bright. I certainly loathed BTECs since I had always had a preference for exams and most people I knew that had taken BTEC courses weren't really academically gifted. I don't agree, however, that all are 'dumbos'. I achieved A/A* grades before going onto sixth form to study biology and chemistry. This is where I explain why I don't agree with the claim that BTEC students aren't capable. I spent the last year of highschool being admitted in and out of hospital for inpatient treatment and on the days of some exams I had been in hospital, unable to take the exams and so I was given a much lower mark as shown on the results paper 0 marks. I went onto the sixth form being told I had to take BTEC science because I had been one grade down. I also took A Levels along side my BTEC course in lower sixth. I barely went to my A Level class and showed little effort and easily achieved a B before dropping the A Levels in upper sixth. My point is, high school BTECs were painfully easy even though I hated them. Personally, I found the A Levels much easier than the Level 3 BTEC but I had to stick at it for university. Consider the position people are in, please. For me to proceed to do scientific subjects I got told I need to do this course to get to univeristy. I'm aware I am completely capable of doing A Levels but life hadn't been too nice to me in my last years of highschool making me physically unable to take some exams. Some people take it as an easy route, others because they favour course work. I know some people that barely know what date it is on BTEC courses, I also know people who are incredibly academic and more capable than some A level students I know. It all depends on the subject, person and their situation I would say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by Ryanx623
I get that with certain courses, Health + Social care for example are complete knobs, However courses like Engineering are filled with A-level capable students...

Every BTEC course has "capable" students if that's what you like calling them. As a matter of fact I'm and A grade student and I do Health and Social Care Extended Level 3 and it not a complete "knob". The only reason I chose this BTEC was because I work better with coursework than exams, you should take into consideration that every student is different ways -some prefer exams, some prefer coursework. Students that do A-levels yes its hard so is BTEC's at A-level they are equivalent to them, A-levels students are only pressurised and stressed for one period time whereas BTEC students are always stressed about the coursework they get and when to hand it in. A-level students have to revise in order for them to pass their exam, whereas BTEC students have to put o much effort in just to pass a certain criteria even the Pass criteria is so long , bear in mind this knowledge we gain from lessons also has to be put in practice. I could read from a textbook every night, memorise and pass my exam if I wanted it by the information will be wasted later on, whereas actually searching for information, using your own knowledge, using it in practice and finding relevant references will actually stay in your head. And trust me references take the piss.
:mad:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reacher65
Some BTEC students who are too lazy to finish their work will get some "help" from the teacher. They then walk away with a grade higher than they deserve.

P.S. I genuinely agree that some students actually are more suited to vocational subjects (everybody doesn't learn the same way).Posted from TSR Mobile

i totally agree with you, we dont, in now way, have that luxury but it is for the better tbh. i also agree with you when saying that some students are suited for more vocational subjects. however, those people are generally the minority, and the majority are those who dont really have a care about where they end up. i speak from experience and what i saw taking place at gcses. although i have never taken a btec myself. I know that theyre very laid back.
No. That's opinion since it is relative. Anyway.. In what way is the coursework any different? If I recall examination boards changed the rules so you can no longer resubmit. They're on equal playing field provided the institution follows the rule.

Some of the A-levels are harder and some of them are easier. It depends on the individual. Even so.. It doesn't give you or anyone the right to try and slander or be hostile.

the coursework is different in the way that a level students get absolutely NO help whereas those who do btec do get help. they can even help eachother whereas for us, we have to do it independently and in complete silence. i get that btec students have to do it independently, but you cannot deny the fact that they do get help from their teachers. alevel students dont have that luxury
Original post by AB2
Every BTEC course has "capable" students if that's what you like calling them. As a matter of fact I'm and A grade student and I do Health and Social Care Extended Level 3 and it not a complete "knob". The only reason I chose this BTEC was because I work better with coursework than exams, you should take into consideration that every student is different ways -some prefer exams, some prefer coursework. Students that do A-levels yes its hard so is BTEC's at A-level they are equivalent to them, A-levels students are only pressurised and stressed for one period time whereas BTEC students are always stressed about the coursework they get and when to hand it in. A-level students have to revise in order for them to pass their exam, whereas BTEC students have to put o much effort in just to pass a certain criteria even the Pass criteria is so long , bear in mind this knowledge we gain from lessons also has to be put in practice. I could read from a textbook every night, memorise and pass my exam if I wanted it by the information will be wasted later on, whereas actually searching for information, using your own knowledge, using it in practice and finding relevant references will actually stay in your head. And trust me references take the piss.

You're making it sound like BTEC students have it harder than A level students
the coursework is different in the way that a level students get absolutely NO help whereas those who do btec do get help. they can even help eachother whereas for us, we have to do it independently and in complete silence. i get that btec students have to do it independently, but you cannot deny the fact that they do get help from their teachers. alevel students dont have that luxury

Then the institution is at fault. I attended a place where they only taught P grade and wouldn't provide any help with other topics. 2 weeks from the issue date they expected an assignment of at least 7500-15,000 words, Depending on the topic. They would mark it and that was the final mark.

We don't always have it so lucky or such a luxury, yes I do somewhat get disgusted by some of the fellow students, I question how did they get on the course with their level of knowledge. But if their institution pushed them hard enough, they would either be studying elsewhere, or searching for a job.

Unlike A-level, BTEC is more dynamic so the standard of work, and standard of students heavily varies from institution to institution. So people like myself and yt777 get generalized and mixed with places that'd pass anything with a keyword.
(edited 9 years ago)
Then the institution is at fault. I attended a place where they only taught P grade and wouldn't provide any help with other topics. 2 weeks from the issue date they expected an assignment of at least 7500-15,000 words, Depending on the topic. They would mark it and that was the final mark.

We don't always have it so lucky or such a luxury, yes I do somewhat get disgusted by some of the fellow students, I question how did they get on the course with their level of knowledge. But if their institution pushed them hard enough, they would either be studying elsewhere, or searching for a job.

Unlike A-level, BTEC is more dynamic so the standard of work, and standard of students heavily varies from institution to institution. So people like myself and yt777 get generalized and mixed with places that'd pass anything with a keyword.

my intention was not to generalise. my intention is to say that for someone who does very challenging a level subjects, and from what ive heard and seen, btec is almost inferior and i dislike using that term but that is what i see. yes you have to write very long essays but you do not have the pressure of exams. you may say that you have the pressures of deadlines, but theyre not as daunting as exams and im sure youll agree with me here.

for our coursework, it was so hard that the first drafts all got below 10 out of 15 ( this was for the first english lit coursework ) and my whole entire class is very bright. our coursework is extremely condensed and must be concise or we will fail. whereas with yours, you can almost waffle from the large word limit and still get a good mark. i think that is one key difference.

anyway im sleepy, goodnight!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reacher65

P.S. I genuinely agree that some students actually are more suited to vocational subjects (everybody doesn't learn the same way).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did a level 3 BTEC (now at uni) and I NEVER asked for help..purely because I knew I was capable of doing my own work without requiring help.

But I get where your coming from with some being 'lazy', when I was doing the first year there were people who were too lazy for their own good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AB2

I totally agree. I did level 3 Health and Social Care :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
my intention was not to generalise. my intention is to say that for someone who does very challenging a level subjects, and from what ive heard and seen, btec is almost inferior and i dislike using that term but that is what i see. yes you have to write very long essays but you do not have the pressure of exams. you may say that you have the pressures of deadlines, but theyre not as daunting as exams and im sure youll agree with me here.

for our coursework, it was so hard that the first drafts all got below 10 out of 15 ( this was for the first english lit coursework ) and my whole entire class is very bright. our coursework is extremely condensed and must be concise or we will fail. whereas with yours, you can almost waffle from the large word limit and still get a good mark. i think that is one key difference.

I understand that. You also need to know it is common nature around here to generalize. Yeah it can't be refuted that A-levels are very hard. Equally.. BTECs can be just as difficult in very rare circumstances. A total of 3 people in my year managed to achieve above MM-MMM, in fact, the highest grade achieved was D*DD. Some places care about the standard of students they produce as opposed to the grades that the institution gets. They made sure that anyone who even got a Merit knew what they were talking about, same with Distinction grade topics. Nobody could get away with a Merit/Distinction and not know what they were doing, that's the whole point of exams, so it put some of the students on an equal playing field. I would've happily admitted myself to an exam at the end of college which tested my knowledge on everything taught. That said, some students do go as far as taking professional exams administered by Pearson Vue and Prometric.

I will agree, examinations are daunting, but really, if you've done everything right throughout the year then come exam time you wouldn't really need to revise so much.

Please see my first point about only 3 people managing to achieve anything above MM and MMM, a majority of people attempted to go for MM and MMM and very few people got the grade, even more gave up second semester by aiming for P grades only. "Whereas with yours" that in itself is being general.
Original post by ohhello92x
I did a level 3 BTEC (now at uni) and I NEVER asked for help..purely because I knew I was capable of doing my own work without requiring help.

But I get where your coming from with some being 'lazy', when I was doing the first year there were people who were too lazy for their own good

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm.. Out of curiosity. If it came to it and you failed a M/D criteria and you got offered a re submission then would you openly take it?
Reply 118
Original post by AB2

My apologies, I get that every course has 'capable' students, I get your point, BTEC's are 24/7 stress, it's actually hard to keep up... One thing A-level students can't dispute is we learn how to handle our time
Original post by Ryanx623
My apologies, I get that every course has 'capable' students, I get your point, BTEC's are 24/7 stress, it's actually hard to keep up... One thing A-level students can't dispute is we learn how to handle our time

And a level students don't lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply