The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Do Southampton have a waiting list , and how many people are usually placed on it for bm5?
Original post by TechRaider2
Do Southampton have a waiting list , and how many people are usually placed on it for bm5?

There is one yes. If I remember you'll get a letter informing you that you are on it.
Original post by yelrihsuday
does anyone know if graduates can get student finance for an undergraduate med course and do we apply for the nhs bursary separately ?

You can get a maintenance loan but nothing to help you with fees..and as far as I know nhs bursaries are only applicable in your final year?
Got rejected by Southampton yesterday! Oh well :P
By any chance did anyone email the
[email protected] yesterday?

I sent an email and for the first time didn't receive the automated response! They also didn't reply to me yesterday, so just hoping it went through..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 745
Does anyone know if the documents you receive on results day is acceptable to scan and send off as proof of results, or does it have to be the certificate that you receive a few months after results ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 746
Has anyone received information regarding accommodation?
Original post by ja1
Does anyone know if the documents you receive on results day is acceptable to scan and send off as proof of results, or does it have to be the certificate that you receive a few months after results ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you need to send anything on results day. The uni gets your results way before you do.

Original post by A.malik
Has anyone received information regarding accommodation?

Once you get a student number I think you can just start to apply via the website.
Reply 748
Original post by Neostigmine
I don't think you need to send anything on results day. The uni gets your results way before you do.

/QUOTE]

I was talking about results we've already had 😳 I'll email the admin at Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="ja1;54630057"]
Original post by Neostigmine

/QUOTE]

I was talking about results we've already had 😳 I'll email the admin at Southampton

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure that's it's the official certificates that you get later that you need to send. That's what I've sent anyway and it's all been confirmed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!! Does anyone know which halls are closest to the medical school? Good luck to everyone :smile: x
Original post by lilyrose11712
Hi everyone!! Does anyone know which halls are closest to the medical school? Good luck to everyone :smile: x

Lectures are mainly at Highfield campus (i.e. the main campus).
All major halls have bus links to the campus - the majority of people tend to be in Wessex or Glen Eyre. Although they opened some new halls this year (Mayflower?) but again that has good bus links.

I prefer the looks of Glen Eyre (slightly greener compared to Wessex) but any are fine :smile: I haven't seen Mayflower though to be honest with you. Looking on google maps, it appears further to travel, if distance is your biggest consideration. (SO15 1DP)
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party here, and a bit early I suppose! I'm looking to apply for the BM5 course next year if I can, and Southampton would be top of my list.

I'm a little confused at to where I'd sit in regards entry point. I'm thinking I'd have to go BM5. I am currently a Paramedic and have a Foundation Degree in Paramedic Science (So level 5, rather than a BSc at level 6). To get onto my foundation degree I did an access course, as my GCSE's were taken way back in 2004 (I'm 28 now).

So - I'm guessing I'd have to go for BM5, however I have a foundation degree as my 'Qualification' rather than GCSEs and A-Levels. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Well done to everyone who has offers / firmed for this year!
Original post by scotton86
Hi there everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party here, and a bit early I suppose! I'm looking to apply for the BM5 course next year if I can, and Southampton would be top of my list.

I'm a little confused at to where I'd sit in regards entry point. I'm thinking I'd have to go BM5. I am currently a Paramedic and have a Foundation Degree in Paramedic Science (So level 5, rather than a BSc at level 6). To get onto my foundation degree I did an access course, as my GCSE's were taken way back in 2004 (I'm 28 now).

So - I'm guessing I'd have to go for BM5, however I have a foundation degree as my 'Qualification' rather than GCSEs and A-Levels. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Well done to everyone who has offers / firmed for this year!

I think you're right, but the best thing to do would definitely be to call the admissions team and ask them. They're really helpful and nice and will advise you better than any of us. I would wait a couple of months though, they're pretty busy with offers etc at the moment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lionheartat20
Lectures are mainly at Highfield campus (i.e. the main campus).
All major halls have bus links to the campus - the majority of people tend to be in Wessex or Glen Eyre. Although they opened some new halls this year (Mayflower?) but again that has good bus links.

I prefer the looks of Glen Eyre (slightly greener compared to Wessex) but any are fine :smile: I haven't seen Mayflower though to be honest with you. Looking on google maps, it appears further to travel, if distance is your biggest consideration. (SO15 1DP)

Thank u very much!!!😊 I just need to hear from Cardiff and Nottingham before I can firm Southampton so will be choosing accommodation soon! How's your application going?:smile:
Reply 755
Is there an offer holders Facebook group or something? Still waiting to hear from one uni but wouldn't hurt to find out more about southampton in the unlikely event I have a decision to make
Original post by deepo
Is there an offer holders Facebook group or something? Still waiting to hear from one uni but wouldn't hurt to find out more about southampton in the unlikely event I have a decision to make

Yeah search for it on FB. There are no links to FB allowed on TSR.

There are a few of us current students around on TSR if you want to ask questions :0
If i'm on the waiting list for Southampton can i firm my other offer?

also how likely are we to get a place from being on the waiting list? how do they order the applicants.. UKCAT?

thx for any help
(edited 9 years ago)
Did you get an email about the waiting list?
Original post by TechRaider2
Did you get an email about the waiting list?

Yes and southampton is my dream :frown:
But since that post I spoke to some medic friends and they said that there's little to no chance of getting in through the waiting list..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending