The Student Room Group

further maths a requirement for economics at LSE?

Is further maths realistically required to do economics at LSE? If i got 3A* at A level and A* EQP, DofE gold and work experience in finance, and did lectures and stuff, would is still stand a chance even if I didn't do further maths A level? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Self teach AS further maths and it'll be fine. What A2 subjects did you do?
Original post by SSpringer20
Self teach AS further maths and it'll be fine. What A2 subjects did you do?

im in year 11 atm. but i will be taking maths/further maths, physics, economics and history to AS
Drop History or Physics for Further Maths. Physics or History will be perfect with Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I'm doing the latter 3 but with Geography not Physics or History.
Original post by SSpringer20
Drop History or Physics for Further Maths. Physics or History will be perfect with Maths, Further Maths and Economics. I'm doing the latter 3 but with Geography not Physics or History.

Do you mean drop either physics or history after year 12 or start year 12 with history or physics, economics and maths+ further maths. Because to do further maths at our school, you have to start 5 AS courses in year 12
well then yes and as you said you have to do it on top then yes drop one of them after AS.
Original post by Willnewman234
Is further maths realistically required to do economics at LSE? If i got 3A* at A level and A* EQP, DofE gold and work experience in finance, and did lectures and stuff, would is still stand a chance even if I didn't do further maths A level? Thanks

I don't do further maths at all and I got an offer from LSE :smile: so it's definately not a requirement. However whether further maths benefits you for the course is another question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by abccba120
I don't do further maths at all and I got an offer from LSE :smile: so it's definately not a requirement. However whether further maths benefits you for the course is another question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would like to apple for the economics course (L100) I think its called. on the website LSE say further maths is strongly preferred
*apply
I would like to apple for the economics course (L100) I think its called. on the website LSE say further maths is strongly preferred

Yes it is highly preferred, hence having it would make you a stronger candidate. But it's not a requirement. The LSE course is L101 not L100.
But with so many applications for so few places almost all candidates who get in will have further mathswill I stand a chance without further maths?
But with so many applications for so few places almost all candidates who get in will have further mathswill I stand a chance without further maths?

Of course there's a chance, but chances will be slimmer. I managed to get an offer with out FM so I don't see why not. But I'd advise you to do FM if you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You got into economics for LSE without further maths? What grades did you get lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You got into economics for LSE without further maths? What grades did you get lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Average grades/ decent gcses I guess.
AAAB at AS, 9A* 2 A at gcse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by abccba120

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it possible to get in without further maths or economics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Saj5677
Is it possible to get in without further maths or economics

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean without FM and economics? If so that makes your chances extremely slim, you'll need to show real passion and knowledge of economics in your statement. Whether possible or not I can't say but I'd imagine it's not impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would you stand a chance if you had Further Maths at AS level? Then dropped it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Would you stand a chance if you had Further Maths at AS level? Then dropped it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea of course you have a chance, quite a lot of people seem to have done that and have applied so I don't see that being a problem, as long as you got an A in it though I think..

Posted from TSR Mobile
What if I do further maths but can't do economics, as it is not available at my school? Does not doing economics seriously affect my chances of getting to LSE?
Original post by economicshopeful
What if I do further maths but can't do economics, as it is not available at my school? Does not doing economics seriously affect my chances of getting to LSE?

That would be fine as you have a reason as to why you didn't do economics. They don't really mind if you don't have it because the course starts from square 1 and doesn't assume any prior knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending