The Student Room Group

OCR B GCSE History 2015

Hi, I'm doing my history gcse this summer on: the origins of the Cold War, the USA and the depth study on Britain and was wondering if anyone else is doing the same? And if you had any notes or tips to share.. I'm having a bit of a meltdown as I've done no work for it yet and I am so scared that I will do badly.. If you have anything to share, i would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Are you doing Britain 1939-75?
Reply 2
Original post by taylortron99
Are you doing Britain 1939-75?

No Britain from 1890- 1930's
Original post by igcse101
Hi, I'm doing my history gcse this summer on: the origins of the Cold War, the USA and the depth study on Britain and was wondering if anyone else is doing the same? And if you had any notes or tips to share.. I'm having a bit of a meltdown as I've done no work for it yet and I am so scared that I will do badly.. If you have anything to share, i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Yes, I'm also doing this! Sadly I am in the same situation as you, but I would happily message you and we can discuss/ share notes. We can get through this together if you want?
Well I'm doing Germany Depth Study (Cold war, Vietnam, Cuban missile crisis) with Britain 1939-75.
Reply 5
Well I'm doing Germany Depth Study (Cold war, Vietnam, Cuban missile crisis) with Britain 1939-75.

Ah I'm still doing stuff on the cold war, vietnam and cuban missile crisis- for me thats the first section in the exam. Do you have any good tips/ websites/ notes on it?
These are a few helpful websites I use:
gcsehistory.org.uk
http://www.johndclare.net/
On notes however, you could always message me for information on a certain topic you might be struggling with and I can give you a detailed description of the topic.
Reply 7
These are a few helpful websites I use:
gcsehistory.org.uk
http://www.johndclare.net/
On notes however, you could always message me for information on a certain topic you might be struggling with and I can give you a detailed description of the topic.

Oh yeah i use john d clare, our teacher always goes on about it, even thought he doesn't do it specifically for my board it is still great! Yeah that would be really helpful, for example do you have any specific notes on vietnam as I'm not very clear on that?
You'll have to specific on the topics of Vietnam you struggle with
Reply 9
Oh yeah i use john d clare, our teacher always goes on about it, even thought he doesn't do it specifically for my board it is still great! Yeah that would be really helpful, for example do you have any specific notes on vietnam as I'm not very clear on that?

I'm doing the same three sections as you :smile: which parts of Vietnam do you not get?
high five :smile:

Haven't revised it at all yet! :s-smilie: Gonna make revision cards/mind maps for it though - yet another thing on my to-do list.
Reply 11
Revise all of Vietnam as people last year (my year) didn't revise some of it and they went totally blank when the questions came up.
Reply 12
Original post by nox1
I'm doing the same three sections as you :smile: which parts of Vietnam do you not get?

the bit about my lai, i don't understand who that was really a victory for and how to use that info in an exam question... And we haven't covered the USA in so long, i did it over a year ago so can't remember any of it. I'll have to just keep looking over it this week and familiarising myself with it. Are you actually memorising any dates or figures? Or are you just kind of understanding the course?
Reply 13
the bit about my lai, i don't understand who that was really a victory for and how to use that info in an exam question... And we haven't covered the USA in so long, i did it over a year ago so can't remember any of it. I'll have to just keep looking over it this week and familiarising myself with it. Are you actually memorising any dates or figures? Or are you just kind of understanding the course?

Okay well my notes on My Lai say:
-well-documented and terrible war crime by Americans. Rape, killings, etc. Breakdown in military discipline.
-Possibly caused by their age (average age for an American soldier was 19), conscription and training
-A 'search and destroy' group of soldiers go to the village at the Lt. orders the murder of everyone in the village
-567 killed
-Discovered by a helicopter commander and the Lt. is put on trial
-Showed the American public that their soldiers weren't on the 'good' side; they were the aggressors

So basically it wasn't a victory for anyone, but it showed the American public the war crimes happening in Vietnam.

I really liked the USA, it was probably the most interesting topic.
I'm basically learning some facts and doing past papers, I already have a general understanding of the topics. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest