The Student Room Group

why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Binary Freak
Hmm.. Out of curiosity. If it came to it and you failed a M/D criteria and you got offered a re submission then would you openly take it?

They just 'referred' it..but even then I pretty much used their notes to correct it but not ask them if that makes sense :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrunkie
Definitely not. The grades SHOULDN'T be equivalent is what I'm saying. Yes A-Levels teach you how to take an exam, but tbf, what do you think you learn at University? You have to do exams there too for the most part.
My point is, btec students shouldn't be able to go onto University, because they are not prepared enough for it. They should be the ones to go onto doing Apprenticeships etc, seeing as you're all so happy that they prepare you for work in that certain industry. If you want to be prepared for work so bad, then do an Apprenticeship and not University.

BTEC = Apprenticeship.
A-LEVEL = University.

There's nothing wrong with either and I considered an Apprenticeship myself, but both qualifications prepare you for different things.

MEAN
Original post by physicsmaths
And a level students don't lol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only to the extent of occasional coursework and examinations. The only exception being those on English and Psychology, I hear they have a heavy workload, unless, my ex is just really slow.
Only to the extent of occasional coursework and examinations. The only exception being those on English and Psychology, I hear they have a heavy workload, unless, my ex is just really slow.

Hmm ok.
Oh right.. Then that college is probably sub-par.. I feel for her..

Nah its cos she just missed out on a C in english lang which is the sixth forms requirement since she hadn't done it at GCSE and that was the subject she wanted to do most. The college is by no means sub par

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quantex
200,000 words? And all you got was a pokey BTEC?
You can get a PhD for half that amount.

10k plus words per unit over 18 units
Original post by frances98
Nah its cos she just missed out on a C in english lang which is the sixth forms requirement since she hadn't done it at GCSE and that was the subject she wanted to do most. The college is by no means sub par

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contrary to the conversation. If they had any standards they'd have reasonable requirements for the course. Regardless of it being a BTEC or not.
Original post by scrunkie
Definitely not. The grades SHOULDN'T be equivalent is what I'm saying. Yes A-Levels teach you how to take an exam, but tbf, what do you think you learn at University? You have to do exams there too for the most part.
My point is, btec students shouldn't be able to go onto University, because they are not prepared enough for it. They should be the ones to go onto doing Apprenticeships etc, seeing as you're all so happy that they prepare you for work in that certain industry. If you want to be prepared for work so bad, then do an Apprenticeship and not University.

BTEC = Apprenticeship.
A-LEVEL = University.

There's nothing wrong with either and I considered an Apprenticeship myself, but both qualifications prepare you for different things.

I did a level 3 BTEC and in university myself and doing well, so there's nothing wrong with a BTEC student heading to university if they wanted to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 128
Original post by AstroNandos
You're making it sound like BTEC students have it harder than A level students

I don't know about A-level students because I don't do them, of course they do try hard to make sure they get the grades they want achieving and A is really hard in a-levels, but I just want to acknowledge the fact that students who do BTEC shouldn't be looked down on because they do more than you think. :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by twinchingtoe
preach. i remember in gcses, those who did science btec were all the ones who were considered 'less abled' and they were all relaxed and stuff. then i remember me taking core and additional and my struggle with c2 and dread of the exam whereas btec students just do coursework and even then they get help from teachers. as for a levels.. im currently in year 12 taking english lit. geography, psychology and philosophy and ethics and the coursework for english was killer. even coursework for a level students is harder than btec coursework. fact.

a level students dont 'look down' on btec students.. its just a fact that a levels are harder and an a is harder to obtain. we do not think were superior, we think that our qualifications are worth slightly more because it is harder for us to get them.. and thats only fair.

It's different when your doing level 3. I'm perfectly fine, A grade student and I'm doing BTEC, problem? I'm not "less able" but prefer to work with coursework than exams. I don't get spoon-fed because it's called plagiarism. Coursework for English is harder than BTEC, have you seen what BTEC students get? I have to to sit on a computer 24/7 typing, sometimes my assignments are 20 pages long. This stereotype of people doing BTEC's because they are "less able" needs to stop. I've got a space in one of the top uni's in the UK with my BTEC, so how am I "less able". Yes A-levels are hard, but we put more effort in, I can memorise the whole textbook and copy down notes but what good will that do to me just pass my exam and poof the info has gone one the exam is over, even when A-level students get coursework they don't need to find references do they, well BTEC students have to it's not the case of just copying down notes you get done for that, your work will be straight in the bin or disqualified. It a shame that some people think people who do A-levels are worth more it's like saying individual's with disabilities don't have the same needs as other individuals.
Original post by AB2
It's different when your doing level 3. I'm perfectly fine, A grade student and I'm doing BTEC, problem? I'm not "less able" but prefer to work with coursework than exams. I don't get spoon-fed because it's called plagiarism. Coursework for English is harder than BTEC, have you seen what BTEC students get? I have to to sit on a computer 24/7 typing, sometimes my assignments are 20 pages long. This stereotype of people doing BTEC's because they are "less able" needs to stop. I've got a space in one of the top uni's in the UK with my BTEC, so how am I "less able". Yes A-levels are hard, but we put more effort in, I can memorise the whole textbook and copy down notes but what good will that do to me just pass my exam and poof the info has gone one the exam is over, even when A-level students get coursework they don't need to find references do they, well BTEC students have to it's not the case of just copying down notes you get done for that, your work will be straight in the bin or disqualified. It a shame that some people think people who do A-levels are worth more it's like saying individual's with disabilities don't have the same needs as other individuals.

Amen! When I did level 3, my class were never spoon fed. We had our backsides kicked, were moaned at and were put under so much pressure to get work completed on time..
I'm at uni now and found that when I was in the 2nd year of level 3 we had to get into the habit of using Harvard referencing instead of copying and pasting web links and just writing textbook names :redface: which has done us the world of good as it helped us in a way to for uni, also one of the tutors I had in 2nd year was a uni lecturer, so she even preped us for uni :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Because it's just human nature to have hierarchies as some people are arrogant ****s.
Original post by Ryanx623
I get that with certain courses, Health + Social care for example are complete knobs, However courses like Engineering are filled with A-level capable students...

Now you're doing the exact same thing by making generalisations about health and social care students + being quite rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 133
Original post by ohhello92x
Amen! When I did level 3, my class were never spoon fed. We had our backsides kicked, were moaned at and were put under so much pressure to get work completed on time..
I'm at uni now and found that when I was in the 2nd year of level 3 we had to get into the habit of using Harvard referencing instead of copying and pasting web links and just writing textbook names :redface: which has done us the world of good as it helped us in a way to for uni, also one of the tutors I had in 2nd year was a uni lecturer, so she even preped us for uni :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same currently I have so much work to do, I ask my a-level friends they just say "revision" and they also complain of only get 4 pieces of work I'm like girl, get into my position and you would wish you only had 4 pieces of work to do. From the start of my first year of level 3 I forced myself to get used to using the havard referencing way, because at uni you'll have to do the same, lol I think BTEC students are probably masters at referencing.:cool:
Original post by Ryanx623
I get that with certain courses, Health + Social care for example are complete knobs, However courses like Engineering are filled with A-level capable students...

I did Health and Social Care and I'm NOT a knob thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AB2
Same currently I have so much work to do, I ask my a-level friends they just say "revision" and they also complain of only get 4 pieces of work I'm like girl, get into my position and you would wish you only had 4 pieces of work to do. From the start of my first year of level 3 I forced myself to get used to using the havard referencing way, because at uni you'll have to do the same, lol I think BTEC students are probably masters at referencing.:cool:

Aw bless, it'll be worth it in the end when you get into uni :biggrin:..yeah exactly :tongue:
Yeah I never really thought about doing Harvard referencing in the first year, but as soon as it was mention it was just like yeah need to get into the habit of using it :tongue: lol yeah I think you're right there, while everyone else is starting off using the referencing system :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
Aw bless, it'll be worth it in the end when you get into uni :biggrin:..yeah exactly :tongue:
Yeah I never really thought about doing Harvard referencing in the first year, but as soon as it was mention it was just like yeah need to get into the habit of using it :tongue: lol yeah I think you're right there, while everyone else is starting off using the referencing system :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you do at uni?
Original post by AB2
What do you do at uni?

Your welcome :biggrin:
I'm currently doing a foundation degree, but considering doing the top up after completing it :redface:
What are you planning on doing at uni? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Your welcome :biggrin:
I'm currently doing a foundation degree, but considering doing the top up after completing it :redface:
What are you planning on doing at uni? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nursing :smile:
Original post by AB2
Nursing :smile:

Oh awesome :biggrin: hope you manage to get onto the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending