The Student Room Group

MPharm at UEA or Nottingham?

Hi guys,
I applied for MPharm at both UEA and Nottingham, and they both appeal to me quite a lot. I was wondering if any of the current students from the two Unis can give a little insight on the culture and lifestyle?

What I like so far about the UEA is the problem-based learning, and perhaps the newer teaching methods there. But I'm also aware that UEA is a relatively new school when compared to historical schools like Notts and Manchester.

Nottingham is, of course, famed for its research opportunities. And also Boots. The well-established career teams, personal tutor program and basically the many services available for students at Notts is also quite appealing.

My questions are:
1. Does UEA offer part-time job on campus like Nottingham for some extra cash? (Library, restaurant jobs)
2. What's the mentorship program like in UEA?
3. How is the city life like at Norwich and Nottingham respectively?

Thank you guys for reading my post and I look forward to your replies!
Nottingham's Pharmacy school is brilliant, one of the best in the UK. The nightlife is also excellent if bars and clubs are your thing. Crime has gone down over the years, so it is quite safe for students. If you get the grades, you should choose Nottingham hands down.
Reply 2
Hey, I'm currently a 1st year at UEA studying Pharmacy and I must say it really is amazing. I also was sitting in the same boat you are now deciding between the two and I eventually picked UEA. I'm actually an international student from Canada so I never got to go to either universities to see them before I made my decision but from everything I read online and the interviews I had with each school I picked UEA.

The problem based learning is alright hahah it's not as special as it's made out to be but it's still pretty cool as I don't think other uni's do it. Basically you just work in a group to make a presentation and get graded on how well it is and how much information you know as a group. The teaching methods are pretty good, we have some really good chemistry teachers and one specifically who is trying new methods as well as recording his lectures and putting them on blackboard (the students website for modules) where you can get all the lecture notes and watch the lecture over again. Keep in mind this is only one lecturer. Although all the other lecture notes are all on blackboard so you could always catch up with no problem at all.

1. YES. we have so many job opportunities and our very own club on campus. everything is run by the student union, we have 2 bars and a club upstairs where there is always something going on. Parties every Tuesday and Saturday which is nice because you don't even have to leave campus to have a good night out. Alot of cool bands also come to play at the uni. But yeah, you can work in the shop, or at the bars on campus and I'm sure there's many other places to get involved.

2. Mentorship program? I'm not too sure what that is but every student gets an advisor within their course who they can talk to any time for help and we have a Dean of students office to support you if you have any troubles.

3. City life is pretty sick, Norwich is a fantastic city with a bunch of clubs on prince of wales road that have events all year long and you never get bored. The city is beautiful and has all the big shops you want like Apple, Hollister and what not but also nice independent side streets with awesome cool indie shops.Overall, I'm not going to say anything bad about Nottingham cause I have no idea what it's like there, but UEA is wonderful! We also have a river/lake running besides campus and there is always rabbits running around on campus so it has a more country feel to it.

Oh, also we have a 30£ million Sportspark where we have a great fitness centre and pool and track and everything you could ever want with fitness.Haha, I just happened to find this post when i googled Nottingham vs UEA for a friend and I couldn't help but tell you how wonderful it really is.

I never usually post in forums but I thought this could change your life hahahaha. Good luck making a decision, if you have any more questions, shoot me a message.
Reply 3
Original post by AliMajed
Hey, I'm currently a 1st year at UEA studying Pharmacy and I must say it really is amazing. I also was sitting in the same boat you are now deciding between the two and I eventually picked UEA. I'm actually an international student from Canada so I never got to go to either universities to see them before I made my decision but from everything I read online and the interviews I had with each school I picked UEA.

The problem based learning is alright hahah it's not as special as it's made out to be but it's still pretty cool as I don't think other uni's do it. Basically you just work in a group to make a presentation and get graded on how well it is and how much information you know as a group. The teaching methods are pretty good, we have some really good chemistry teachers and one specifically who is trying new methods as well as recording his lectures and putting them on blackboard (the students website for modules) where you can get all the lecture notes and watch the lecture over again. Keep in mind this is only one lecturer. Although all the other lecture notes are all on blackboard so you could always catch up with no problem at all.

1. YES. we have so many job opportunities and our very own club on campus. everything is run by the student union, we have 2 bars and a club upstairs where there is always something going on. Parties every Tuesday and Saturday which is nice because you don't even have to leave campus to have a good night out. Alot of cool bands also come to play at the uni. But yeah, you can work in the shop, or at the bars on campus and I'm sure there's many other places to get involved.

2. Mentorship program? I'm not too sure what that is but every student gets an advisor within their course who they can talk to any time for help and we have a Dean of students office to support you if you have any troubles.

3. City life is pretty sick, Norwich is a fantastic city with a bunch of clubs on prince of wales road that have events all year long and you never get bored. The city is beautiful and has all the big shops you want like Apple, Hollister and what not but also nice independent side streets with awesome cool indie shops.Overall, I'm not going to say anything bad about Nottingham cause I have no idea what it's like there, but UEA is wonderful! We also have a river/lake running besides campus and there is always rabbits running around on campus so it has a more country feel to it.

Oh, also we have a 30£ million Sportspark where we have a great fitness centre and pool and track and everything you could ever want with fitness.Haha, I just happened to find this post when i googled Nottingham vs UEA for a friend and I couldn't help but tell you how wonderful it really is.

I never usually post in forums but I thought this could change your life hahahaha. Good luck making a decision, if you have any more questions, shoot me a message.

Oh man, thanks a lot for your reply! (As you can see I haven't gotten a lot of them...)
But I wish you had found my post earlier, maybe I would have made another choice since I already firmed Nottingham (UEA is still my insurance though).

But thank you so much for spending time on typing so much and giving me insight. It's still a possibility that I go to UEA, we'll see. :P
Reply 4
Original post by James_Exn
Oh man, thanks a lot for your reply! (As you can see I haven't gotten a lot of them...)
But I wish you had found my post earlier, maybe I would have made another choice since I already firmed Nottingham (UEA is still my insurance though).

But thank you so much for spending time on typing so much and giving me insight. It's still a possibility that I go to UEA, we'll see. :P

Haha, I was worried I had found it too late as I remember the UK students had to make a decision wayyy beforehand as I firmed in like May.

That's great! Nottingham sounds really good, I also got accepted into Nottingham but I picked UEA and everyone I tell that to is like "You should've went Nottingham. haha. In the end though it doesn't matter what school you come out of (especially me because I'm going back to Canada) as long as you enjoy your time there and make a lot of friends!

Good luck next year! Pharmacy is a sick degree! :cool:
Reply 5
Original post by AliMajed
Haha, I was worried I had found it too late as I remember the UK students had to make a decision wayyy beforehand as I firmed in like May.

That's great! Nottingham sounds really good, I also got accepted into Nottingham but I picked UEA and everyone I tell that to is like "You should've went Nottingham. haha. In the end though it doesn't matter what school you come out of (especially me because I'm going back to Canada) as long as you enjoy your time there and make a lot of friends!

Good luck next year! Pharmacy is a sick degree! :cool:

Thanks a lot! Have you not applied through UCAS? Or else how did you pick UEA over Nottingham even if they accepted you?
Reply 6
Original post by James_Exn
Thanks a lot! Have you not applied through UCAS? Or else how did you pick UEA over Nottingham even if they accepted you?

I had an interview with each school I applied to, 5 in total (Keele, Cardiff, Nottingham, UEA and Manchester) over the phone and they were usually 20 mins, Nottingham's was 45 min skype call.

Cardiff didn't even bother with giving me an interview for some reason but all the others gave me conditional acceptance if my marks from exams were good at the end of June. So I firmed UEA and put Manchester as insurance and cancelled Nottingham because Nottingham and UEA had the same entry requirements (85 in Canada's system) and if I didn't get accepted to those I could fall back to Manchester (75? or 80) basically A or A* i think.

I'm pretty sure it works just a tad different for international students so yeah...

EDIT: Yeah it was through UCAS
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending