The Student Room Group

Medicine 2015 Entry Thread Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ezme39
Advice please! Got two offers- Keele and HYMS. I really don't know which to go for... they're both over 3hrs from home, and they're both PBL. Are either of them considered more prestigious? I'm looking at costs etc tomorrow, so just looking for opinions and thoughts :smile: thank youu

Personally say HYMS as I know too people at York uni that love it and personally couldn't think of anything worse than going to a uni totally secluded and surrounded by countryside. Think HYMS will be a lot more social. Just my opinion tho
Original post by JMJ_1996
Personally say HYMS as I know too people at York uni that love it and personally couldn't think of anything worse than going to a uni totally secluded and surrounded by countryside. Think HYMS will be a lot more social. Just my opinion tho

Thanks :smile: that's the impression I had too. Wasn't sure on whether Hull was such a great place to live though? The random allocation is what's making me a bit unsure
Original post by Ezme39
Thanks :smile: that's the impression I had too. Wasn't sure on whether Hull was such a great place to live though? The random allocation is what's making me a bit unsure

Yeah I get that is a bit lame but don't you alternate throughout your time there? Tbh I'd take hull over stoke on trent any day 😂
Reply 263
Is it worth having a car at university? I've been offered an Audi S1 or £25,000- which should I take?
Original post by 786687
Is it worth having a car at university? I've been offered an Audi S1 or £25,000- which should I take?

I was told by some medics at liverpool and lancaster that a car was really useful in the latter years whilst on placements.

I personally would go with the money as it would be better, I can't speak though I'm getting a cat, but tbh I don't have the choice of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 265
Original post by Natalierm2707
I was told by some medics at liverpool and lancaster that a car was really useful in the latter years whilst on placements.

I personally would go with the money as it would be better, I can't speak though I'm getting a cat, but tbh I don't have the choice of money.

Posted from TSR Mobile

did they say which year in particular a car becomes useful?

money isn't really an issue, if I took the money it would probably end up going into an investment fund. But then again, I don't want to buy such a beautiful car if its just going to be sitting at home most of the time, where it's going to be depreciating + having to fork out for £5,000 or so in insurance.
Original post by 786687
did they say which year in particular a car becomes useful?

money isn't really an issue, if I took the money it would probably end up going into an investment fund. But then again, I don't want to buy such a beautiful car if its just going to be sitting at home most of the time, where it's going to be depreciating + having to fork out for £5,000 or so in insurance.

They said for when they were on placements, and also if they had part time jobs, they said around half way through the course, and for fifth year many said it was essential as it saved them so much money.

I agree, insurance is putting me off right now but I will find a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 267
Original post by 786687

Take the £25'000 and get a cheaper car?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 786687

take the 25k, wait a few years and get an R8 :wink:
Reply 269
Original post by ja1
Take the £25'000 and get a cheaper car?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if I get a new car, I'd want to get something I really like. I've already got a car, but it would be nice to have something that's enjoyable to drive on longer drives.
Are you meant to get an email from the universities with rejections or is it just the track update?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by boods8897
Are you meant to get an email from the universities with rejections or is it just the track update?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the uni. More common to also get an email
Depends on the uni. More common to also get an email

I've not got one from any yet. Want to ask for feedback but my friend said the info on how to do that comes on the email which I haven't got :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Liverpool or UEA? Totally undecided. I prefer liverpool as a place but I'm worried the course and student satisfaction isn't as good as UEA
Liverpool or UEA? Totally undecided. I prefer liverpool as a place but I'm worried the course and student satisfaction isn't as good as UEA

If you post this on the Medicine 2015 Entry Offers thread, you may get some advice.
I didn't visit UEA so I'm not able to answer your question.
So it's become apparent that having taken a gap year I've become completely emptied of all my a level academic knowledge , panicking a little to say the least as I cannot think of any conceivable way of regaining all of this whilst working a full time job before I begin at medical school
Original post by Scowley12
So it's become apparent that having taken a gap year I've become completely emptied of all my a level academic knowledge , panicking a little to say the least as I cannot think of any conceivable way of regaining all of this whilst working a full time job before I begin at medical school

Hehe, I did my A Levels 8 years ago.... Tell me about it! I'm sure it'll come back quickly, I'm trying to do 30 mins a day when I get in from work and it's coming back, HONEST!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Suppose that beats my year out :wink: thing is I know the biology will come back easily because it's basically just well - easy - however the chemsitry that's relevant and the whole of a level maths is gonna be a real challenge ? How are you doing it , just reading or actually going through and doing questions etc ?
Suppose that beats my year out :wink: thing is I know the biology will come back easily because it's basically just well - easy - however the chemsitry that's relevant and the whole of a level maths is gonna be a real challenge ? How are you doing it , just reading or actually going through and doing questions etc ?

Heh! Yeah just reading through my textbooks (my own notes are long gone somewhere). Once I've done that, I'll probably use some past papers, just to check it's mostly gone in. I wouldn't bother with Maths though?! A lot of people won't have taken Maths A Level, so I assume anything we need will be taught. I'm only looking at Chem and Human Bio.. We still have 5 months to go, don't panic just yet! ☺️

don't worry about it, a lot of us will be gap year students and biology isn't an essential A-Level to get into medicine so they'll probably start teaching from basics anyway and I don't know how relevant chemistry will be in terms of synthetic routes and titration calculations tbh but i doubt it's that relevant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending