The Student Room Group

is DofE weighted on the university application?

Hi all,

I have heard that Duke of Edinburgh's Award has become less useful on the university application now?

How about to top UK universities? And Russel group?

And what about the stages? For example, is Gold weighted at all?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by londoncricket
Hi all,

I have heard that Duke of Edinburgh's Award has become less useful on the university application now?

How about to top UK universities? And Russel group?

And what about the stages? For example, is Gold weighted at all?

Thanks!

No, not really. If there is anything that came out of doing it that is directly relevant to the course you are applying for, then make use of that, but the qualification itself carries no points. Only do it if you want to, not because it will make a difference to your application.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No, not really. If there is anything that came out of doing it that is directly relevant to the course you are applying for, then make use of that, but the qualification itself carries no points. Only do it if you want to, not because it will make a difference to your application.

I want to apply to Economics and/or maths, so I guess not?
I want to apply to Economics and/or maths, so I guess not?

Not specifically. It's by no means a bad thing to do, but it's just not particularly helpful for Ucas.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Not specifically. It's by no means a bad thing to do, but it's just not particularly helpful for Ucas.

Then why do so many people do it?

Also, wouldn't be classed as good volunteering and extra-curricular activity?

They do it because they are told it will be good for their applications by people who don't know any better! Read the bit of my sticky about extra-curricular activities. It's about applying for English, but it applies to any other academic subject:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516
Reply 6
yes it definitely is- put it under your extra-curic stuff, it is definitely weighed and a good thing to have
Reply 7

yes it is- ignore them
You can say how it has helped your personal development ie teamwork, meeting challenges, problem solving
Original post by louisewestlake
You can say how it has helped your personal development ie teamwork, meeting challenges, problem solving

You're right
You're right

Believe who you like... A couple of random A-level students with no actual experience of getting into university or a teacher with many hours experience helping thousands of students do just that, and who has attended conferences and talks at which university admissions tutors have said that the DoE is of very minor importance...
Original post by hdindak
yes it is- ignore them

It really isn't.

It is of value for its own sake but it's no easy ride and doesn't develop the sort of skills that are desirable for university admissions. They're useful skills for employment but you'll generally get a chance to use and develop those skills during 3 years of a degree so it isn't massively important to demonstrate these pre-uni.

Original post by louisewestlake

And how many economics degree admissions tutors are looking for those qualities? AS further maths, BoE challenge 2.0 and the like or an economics relevant MOOC or EPQ are far more beneficial than DofE to econ admissions.
It's not worth it. So many people do it because schools lie about it. Universities don't care about something you did in yr9/10/11 (can't remember when they started pushing us to do DofE). It was too long ago. My school made a massive thing out of doing DofE and being a prefect saying it'll really help your Uni applications then in Lower sixth got someone in to give a talk about how to write personal statements and what to include, someone asked how should I include being a prefect and was told unless you are currently a prefect they won't care. There was also the extra ridiculousness that in our school you literally just had to apply and you would be made a prefect as long as you weren't consistently in trouble so it wasn't even an indication of a better student.

Unless you're willing to do the whole lot and go to gold it's not worth doing
Original post by PQ
It really isn't.

It is of value for its own sake but it's no easy ride and doesn't develop the sort of skills that are desirable for university admissions. They're useful skills for employment but you'll generally get a chance to use and develop those skills during 3 years of a degree so it isn't massively important to demonstrate these pre-uni.

And how many economics degree admissions tutors are looking for those qualities? AS further maths, BoE challenge 2.0 and the like or an economics relevant MOOC or EPQ are far more beneficial than DofE to econ admissions.

Thanks!
Are you guys taking the piss?

Having spoken to admissions officers at the University of Oxford they said that despite my non-relevant EC's being good (i.e. Piano grade 8, dofe gold, Sailing club, 500 volunteering hours, polyglot etc.) it has no bearing upon getting a place if it not relevant. And I didn't even include half of that crap into my p.s. :lol:

But sure listen to your teachers who didn't even go oxbridge lmao.

Original post by hdindak
yes it is- ignore them

Original post by ageshallnot
Believe who you like... A couple of random A-level students with no actual experience of getting into university or a teacher with many hours experience helping thousands of students do just that, and who has attended conferences and talks at which university admissions tutors have said that the DoE is of very minor importance...

Original post by PQ
It really isn't.

This pretty much. And also A2 Further Maths, RES, self-teaching subjects, further reading, TSA etc.
I've finished mine from Bronze to Gold. I say it was a major factor amongst many during my ucas application but especially for my interviews.

It was a topic they got interested in that i mentioned and made me go in detail about it. To be honest doing that as the only extra curricular during college/6th form is more than sufficient with its "4" sections already requiring real commitment to complete.

Will be meeting the Duke for my Gold graduation soon. So i would say it was worth it, weighing even the most horrendous days during expeditions. 😂

Obviously you still need the academic requirements, relevant experience to do your course etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I've done my Bronze and Silver and am aiming to finish my Gold. I've done it because I thought it would be fun and I wanted to challenge myself. At no point was I thinking about uni applications.
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Are you guys taking the piss?

Having spoken to admissions officers at the University of Oxford they said that despite my non-relevant EC's being good (i.e. Piano grade 8, dofe gold, Sailing club, 500 volunteering hours, polyglot etc.) it has no bearing upon getting a place if it not relevant. And I didn't even include half of that crap into my p.s. :lol:

But sure listen to your teachers who didn't even go oxbridge lmao.

Precisely.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I've done my Bronze and Silver and am aiming to finish my Gold. I've done it because I thought it would be fun and I wanted to challenge myself. At no point was I thinking about uni applications.

This is a great attitude to have about everything in life in my opinion. You should do thinks for their own sake- not because you believe they will get you into uni or get you some other kind of reward. I hope you enjoyed doing your DofE.

The vast majority of admissions tutors are just not that interested in your extra-curricular activities in terms of uni admissions. They're interesting in your ability to complete the course and your motivation/interest in the course first and foremost.
So would you say it's not even worth mentioning you've completed it on your Personal Statement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending