The Student Room Group

How do I know if I have a problem

There is a popular opinion going around that mental illness doesn't exist. That people are being tricked by the psychiatry industry. That certain disorders are real and legitimate, whereas others are just ridiculous and exaggerated by weak or naive people who want to claim mental illness as a way of having something to blame their bad behaviour/choices/circumstances on.

How do I know if I have a mental illness? Regardless of what a professional might say.

Which disorders are "real" mental illness and which are not legitimate?

Scroll to see replies

Mental illness is not and will never be an excuse for bad behaviour or criminal offences. But people with mental health problems should never be discriminated against when it comes to things like the job market, for example
Depends, I don't believe any mental disorders are real. Others have different opinions.
[QUOTE=shawn_o1;54633271 people with mental health problems should never be discriminated against when it comes to things like the job market, for example

What about the depressed pilot who killed 150 people in the French alps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamesManc
Depends, I don't believe any mental disorders are real. Others have different opinions.

Why do you not believe they're real?
Original post by leahmshaya
What about the depressed pilot who killed 150 people in the French alps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well that's not really depression, that's a psychopathic disorder. The media just loves to conflate, that's why they give so much stigma to mental illness in one headline, more than years of mental health campaigns can reverse.

Either way, he should have been diagnosed with a psychopathic disorder, and that diagnosis should not be kept confidential because it's clear what sort of damage psychopaths can do. Never should he have taken responsibility of 150 lives when there's a higher chance of him claiming them all.
Original post by Freudian Slip
Why do you not believe they're real?

Scientific and philisophical reasons, akin to Szasz and Laing.
Original post by shawn_o1
Mental illness is not and will never be an excuse for bad behaviour or criminal offences. But people with mental health problems should never be discriminated against when it comes to things like the job market, for example

Well the law disagrees with you...

Scientific? Pahaha don't make me laugh
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Scientific? Pahaha don't make me laugh

Yes, akin to Szasz and Laing. Although mental illness isn't scientific...I agree.
The range and spectrum of mental illnesses is so wide, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had some form of one, mildly or otherwise. People who claim they don't exist are just purposefully ignorant, but people who use it as an excuse for crime are as bad.
Original post by Arkasia
The range and spectrum of mental illnesses is so wide, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had some form of one, mildly or otherwise. People who claim they don't exist are just purposefully ignorant, but people who use it as an excuse for crime are as bad.

If everyone had some form of mental illness that would mean mental illness didn't exist.
If everyone had some form of mental illness that would mean mental illness didn't exist.

Perhaps that's the case then? It's only our arrogance that makes us claim we, as individuals, are the normal ones.
Original post by Arkasia
Perhaps that's the case then? It's only our arrogance that makes us claim we, as individuals, are the normal ones.

I don't claim to be normal my friend, I used to claim to be mentally ill in aspects and I used to claim to be normal in others. I don't know if I am I strange or norml or if am I not, but I'm a scientist and so have to be truthful as AA traditions say. The truth sees you through
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't claim to be normal my friend, I used to claim to be mentally ill in aspects and I used to claim to be normal in others. A dane f am I strange or am I not, but I'm a scientist and so have to be truthful as AA traditions say.

Very true, I guess a sense of normalcy is a prerequisite to any organized society.

As fundamentally as I might disagree with you, I appreciate your opinion on the matter.
Mental illness is obviously a hugely debatable topic.

As a Mental Health Student Nurse, I may be slightly biased. But seeing people with actual mental illnesses really does open your eyes to it.

However, people can have mental illnesses, but they do not necessarily have to be unwell with it.
They could be managing fine, and remain well for short/long periods of time, if not forever.

Just because they are well at the moment, does not mean the mental illness does not exist.
Original post by Anonymous
There is a popular opinion going around that mental illness doesn't exist. That people are being tricked by the psychiatry industry. That certain disorders are real and legitimate, whereas others are just ridiculous and exaggerated by weak or naive people who want to claim mental illness as a way of having something to blame their bad behaviour/choices/circumstances on.

How do I know if I have a mental illness? Regardless of what a professional might say.

Which disorders are "real" mental illness and which are not legitimate?

Mental disorders do exist. The brain is a complex machine that no-one fully understands yet. However, the problem is that many people label themselves unnecessarily. For example; a hormonal teenager might say " I have bipolar " when in reality, it is just general mood swings.

I have witnessed peoples lives crashing down because of mental issues. People close to me that I know inside and out. Just don't go labelling yourself as "depressed" because you lost your purse and feel a bit crap for the next week. These conditions can be more serious and life threatening than you think.
Original post by rachaelftw

Just because they are well at the moment, does not mean the mental illness does not exist.

Just because someone is 'unwell' doesn't man that mental illness does exist.
Original post by CharlieeB
Mental disorders do exist. The brain is a complex machine that no-one fully understands yet. However, the problem is that many people label themselves unnecessarily. For example; a hormonal teenager might say " I have bipolar " when in reality, it is just general mood swings.

I have witnessed peoples lives crashing down because of mental issues. People close to me that I know inside and out. Just don't go labelling yourself as "depressed" because you lost your purse and feel a bit crap for the next week. These conditions can be more serious and life threatening than you think.

Agreed. it's because of things like you've mentioned that people tend to question whether depression is real. :frown: Many of us (including me) do hide our depression. Or rather, I tried and failed badly.

Quick Reply

Latest