The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What is Warwick like?

I got an offer from Warwick and I am going to firm it but I was wondering how ''academic'' the enviroment is. I was last year ( well for 6 months )in an awful uni where all people did was getting smashed/stoned and it was an awful fit - for me , I know some people enjoy it thou - since I am all for an intellectual enviroment, would you define Warwick as such?
Like anywhere, it varies. Essentially, if you want it to be, it will be.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Depends what you study, Warwicks Maths, Computer Science, Physics and Business School departments are among some of the most intellectual in the world. Not to mention the Politics and Philosophy departments also leading the way for the country. It is however what you make of it, some people don't like academic powerhouses, some do.
Reply 3
It's very academic. The vast majority are dedicated to their courses and do put the work in. There will be clusters of people who will, of course, be up for drinking/drugs and whatnot, but this can easily be avoided if it isn't your thing. 9 times out of 10 those people will still be doing well. The problem you had at your last uni (I very highly doubt) will be one you will deal with at Warwick.
Original post by Thahleel
Depends what you study, Warwicks Maths, Computer Science, Physics and Business School departments are among some of the most intellectual in the world. Not to mention the Politics and Philosophy departments also leading the way for the country. It is however what you make of it, some people don't like academic powerhouses, some do.

Are you kidding about WBS? has a rep for being a finishing school for dumb Europeans.

I did a year at Warwick and from my experiences there were two types of students. The hard workers and the dossers who only got their arse into gear in third term. These people did a variety of courses including Maths, Physics and Comp Sci.
Original post by MillieXYZ
Are you kidding about WBS? has a rep for being a finishing school for dumb Europeans.

I did a year at Warwick and from my experiences there were two types of students. The hard workers and the dossers who only got their arse into gear in third term. These people did a variety of courses including Maths, Physics and Comp Sci.

I've heard differently, I've heard they have one of the best Economics undergraduate degree programmes in Europe.

Compared to other universities, it's better.
Reply 6
I definitely have not heard of Warwick having a reputation for being a finishing school for Europeans, and I would be inclined to think this is an idea that is not prevalent in the UK at all. Having studied at Warwick for three years, I would say there is a presence of wealthy Europeans, although every university will have a large number of wealthy international students, it is just the way it works. However, I have never met a single European student at Warwick who I felt did not match the academic strength of those around them, in fact for the most part I found them incredibly hard working. Whether or not this rep exists, is it quite untrue imo.
Original post by Thahleel
I've heard differently, I've heard they have one of the best Economics undergraduate degree programmes in Europe.

Compared to other universities, it's better.

Economics is one of the best courses at Warwick but it's not part of WBS..

WBS includes subjects like Management, International Business, Accounting and Finance etc.
Original post by MillieXYZ
Economics is one of the best courses at Warwick but it's not part of WBS..

WBS includes subjects like Management, International Business, Accounting and Finance etc.

OH. I always assumed it was, sorry my bad. Anyhow I have always assumed that Warwick was one of the best places in Europe to study A&F or something like Business Management, so like value hasn't really subtracted from the business school for me.
I would say that the students at the business school are highly motivated, self-driven and ambitious. They party hard, but the study harder. Warwick competes with LSE for those programs offered at the business school at the minimum A-Level requirement is AAA (but with almost everyone having A*A*A and such.)

Quick Reply

Latest