The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Queue the articles on BBC talking about "England's bright future".
Aaaaaand tomorrow England will be pumped by Italy.
Original post by The Shed End
*cup keeper

I apologise you're right, I assumed because he's played in every CL game he'd also be their no. 1 keeper in the league, I was mistaken. Quite brave on Barca behalf having a cup keeper that also plays all the CL games, considering it's the most important competition for them :s-smilie:
This is what I mean about the negativity with England, there's literally no reason to expect us to lose tomorrow, we may be **** in important international competitions, but you can guarantee we'll beat a top 10 side in a meaningless friendly (for more information see matches against Spain and Brazil in the last few years)
England are a joke the legendary Ray Hudson sums them up perfectly here

Original post by al_94
England are a joke the legendary Ray Hudson sums them up perfectly here

Man said Wesley Sneijder :rofl:
Original post by Stefano93
Man said Wesley Sneijder :rofl:

You don't rate Sneijder in 2010? He was sick!
he's right....we're not some force,, people are too dopey to see we're not and never have been. Stevie G is a league legend, but was **** for England.
Original post by miguapa
he's right....we're not some force,, people are too dopey to see we're not and never have been. Stevie G is a league legend, but was **** for England.

Gerrard and Lampard; two of the greatest midfielders in Premier League history apparently "couldn't play together".

Give me a break; with the quality that England have possessed, all it would've taken is a manager to match said quality.

Unfortunately we're stuck with a manager who constantly looks like he forgot why he walked in to the room...
Original post by Lúcio
Gerrard and Lampard; two of the greatest midfielders in Premier League history apparently "couldn't play together".

Give me a break; with the quality that England have possessed, all it would've taken is a manager to match said quality.

Unfortunately we're stuck with a manager who constantly looks like he forgot why he walked in to the room...

Gerrard and Lampard didn't work because both were box to box, and neither were good enough as ball winners. They liked to make runs into the box (Lamps stayed more on the edge) and with 2 up top it just means there's congested space and nobody benefits. When most teams moved to a 3 man midfield after they realised the need for stability in midfield we were left behind. A 3 of Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard could've worked.
Original post by Depleted
Gerrard and Lampard didn't work because both were box to box, and neither were good enough as ball winners. They liked to make runs into the box (Lamps stayed more on the edge) and with 2 up top it just means there's congested space and nobody benefits. When most teams moved to a 3 man midfield after they realised the need for stability in midfield we were left behind. A 3 of Scholes, Gerrard, Lampard could've worked.

Diamond midfield with Lampard at the tip, Gerrard and Scholes in the middle and Hargreaves at the base. Shift Beckham into right back.

Thoughts
Original post by Depleted

I didn't mean just a midfield 2 of Gerrard and Lampard; as you point out, different systems could've worked if the managers had been creative/risky enough.

I just feel like England have wasted many players and a whole heap of quality, achieving more or less nothing.

It's a little ridiculous that since we were founded in 1870, we've won one major international trophy.

One.

That's the same as Greece...
Original post by Lúcio
I didn't mean just a midfield 2 of Gerrard and Lampard; as you point out, different systems could've worked if the managers had been creative/risky enough.

I just feel like England have wasted many players and a whole heap of quality, achieving more or less nothing.

It's a little ridiculous that since we were founded in 1870, we've won one major international trophy.

One.

That's the same as Greece...

If Alex Ferguson was English we'd have won every competition from 2002 to 2008

Thoughts
Original post by difeo
If Alex Ferguson was English we'd have won every competition from 2002 to 2008

Thoughts

I've always thought England have only ever been missing a manager.

It probably isn't as simple as that, but I suppose we'll never know.
disclaimer: I have a loathing for wing backs that are caught out of position and overlap needlessly but imo...

Carl Jenkinson is a much better RB than Bellerin, it's really not even close tbh.

Debuchy was a poor transfer for what we parted with, even though he's up to standard for now, but given his contrasting style with Jenkinson(whereas Bellerin is just a **** version of Debuchy) I think we'd be mad not to take Carl back as 2nd choice next season and send Bellerin on loan somewhere.

I promise you will get big match performances and intensity out of a lad like Jenko that will be worth perhaps an occasional clumsiness on the ball and every challenging team needs English defenders imo. Alternatively given his age and Englishness we should be taking £12m at least from WHU when you think about what we paid for Chambers or what Shaw, Bertrand etc have gone for.
(edited 8 years ago)
agree with above - want jenk back for next season.
Original post by difeo
Diamond midfield with Lampard at the tip, Gerrard and Scholes in the middle and Hargreaves at the base. Shift Beckham into right back.

Thoughts

No bench Beckham or play 3-6-1.

Semen
Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell
Hargreaves
Beckham(RM), Scholes, Lampard, Cole(LM/LWB)
Gerrard
Owen

If that was played at the world cup woulda beasted it. Hargreaves woulda protected Terry, Ferdinand had pace so he wouldn't get caught out by any potential lack of covering from Beckham, while Cole had the pace to make up for any time Campbell is struggling for pace.

Owen woulda been sufficient pace for the top.

It allows all the players to play and it's absolutely farcical that no England manager tried this not even in a ****ing friendly.
England in 2006 probably had the best group of CBs Ive ever seen from any side, club or country tbh.

How'd we end up with Jags and Cahill then?
No idea bro.

**** England's whole team other than at Striker and GK is incredibly average. Midfield you have a bit of hope since the players are young but the defence is just terrible. Ryan Bertrand and Clyne as England's best fullbacks, then using Jones, Cahill, Jags and Smalling as our defence. This is a joke.
Original post by Zürich
England in 2006 probably had the best group of CBs Ive ever seen from any side, club or country tbh.

How'd we end up with Jags and Cahill then?

From Carragher, King, Terry, Ferdinand, Woodgate and an ageing Campbell to this shower of ****. Great times.

Latest