The Student Room Group

Why don't parents realise their child is obese?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32069699

According to new research parents don't know what is considered to be a "healthy weight".

Around 1 in 5 children in Yr 6 - 10-11y/o are overweight. That's approximately 6 children per class.

If parents don't inspire or encourage healthy eating habits and share good nutritional advice with their children the likelihood is that as they grow up their relationship with food and their bodies will worsen considerably.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Because 64% of them are over weight themselves so don't realise what a healthy weight actually is
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Because 64% of them are over weight themselves so don't realise what a healthy weight actually is
Was your stat in the study or have you just made that up? :holmes:
If the parents don't exercise regularly it's unlikely that their children will
Reply 4
They do, they just realize the child will either eat junk food, or eat them, so they go for the safe option.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
Was your stat in the study or have you just made that up? :holmes:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=percentage+of+UK+overweight
Original post by shawn_o1
If the parents don't exercise regularly it's unlikely that their children will
I agree with you, I think if your parents have an active lifestyle then you are inspired to do the same. It's part of a daily routine whilst growing up.
Original post by Arkasia
They do, they just realize the child will either eat junk food, or eat them, so they go for the safe option.
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/slaveleia/images/2/2d/Jabba_Licks_Leia.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110104025540

Arkasia, thanks for sharing that - I'm enlightened :wink:

Seriously, what's your view?
isn't it true that over half of people in the UK are overweight? it's not unusual anymore, it's become normal.

haven't been on tsr in a while but there used to be threads asking 'am i fat?' with people posting pictures of themselves, and it being BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS they were overweight. everyone would reply, 'no not at all :smile:'.

most people are fat.

edit: quick google, 67% of men and 57% of women in the UK are overweight or obese according to the guardian
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by She-Ra

Arkasia, thanks for sharing that - I'm enlightened

Seriously, what's your view?

Society has changed. Being fat used to be shameful, because it meant you were either too greedy, or too lazy, or both, but now we have 'fat acceptance movements' which try to claim that being fat is perfectly acceptable. Instead of reading tweets on the internet, kids used to go to the library. Instead of playing FIFA, kids used to play football in real life every night.

It also doesn't help that conglomerates have found a way to mass-produce unhealthy food alternatives for cheaper prices than natural produce, and due to the free market, and the increase in personal wealth, many people simply go for the easier, unhealthy option. Summarily, parents do know that their kids are getting fat, they just either think it's fine, don't care, or don't know how to change it.
Original post by Sophie_girl
haven't been on tsr in a while but there used to be threads asking 'am i fat?' with people posting pictures of themselves, and it being BLINDINGLY OBVIOUS they were overweight. everyone would reply, 'no not at all :smile:'.

All the time.

But that mostly occurs due to the sheer amount of annoying white knights on this forum.
Reply 10
What really annoys me, and what I think to be a fundamental problem with regards to tackling to obesity issue, is the state of the economy. You walk into a super market and the cheapest meals are the unhealthy ready meals which are packed with calories and fat, compared to the healthy, natural food choices which have exorbitant prices. In our current economy, families are having to save every penny, therefore are really struggling to find the money to buy those healthy options, meaning that their economic position would force them to buy the unhealthy options. As well as this, gym memberships are incredibly high, as is hiring a tennis court etc; admittedly they have the free option of going for a run around the block, but sometimes some locations don't offer either desirable or safe runinng routes, and running outside is incredibly weather dependant. The fluctuating weather in England is not a great advocate for outdoor running, especially during the winter months. It would not be uncommon to find the majority of households in poorer parts of the country with an obesity issue, which would be less significant in the wealthier regions, so I strongly believe that, in order to solve our obesity issue we need to tackle the economic issue.
Reply 11
It frustrates me. Especially when the parents are skinny.
Original post by eddso
What really annoys me, and what I think to be a fundamental problem with regards to tackling to obesity issue, is the state of the economy. You walk into a super market and the cheapest meals are the unhealthy ready meals which are packed with calories and fat, compared to the healthy, natural food choices which have exorbitant prices. In our current economy, families are having to save every penny, therefore are really struggling to find the money to buy those healthy options, meaning that their economic position would force them to buy the unhealthy options. As well as this, gym memberships are incredibly high, as is hiring a tennis court etc; admittedly they have the free option of going for a run around the block, but sometimes some locations don't offer either desirable or safe runinng routes, and running outside is incredibly weather dependant. The fluctuating weather in England is not a great advocate for outdoor running, especially during the winter months. It would not be uncommon to find the majority of households in poorer parts of the country with an obesity issue, which would be less significant in the wealthier regions, so I strongly believe that, in order to solve our obesity issue we need to tackle the economic issue.

I think you hit the nail on the head! :clap2:
Original post by Truths
It frustrates me. Especially when the parents are skinny.

Actually for me, it's even worse when I see overweight parents with overweight kids.
It's true, a lot of people can't afford the healthy eating lifestyle.
Original post by soanonymous
It's true, a lot of people can't afford the healthy eating lifestyle.

I don't understand this argument. Since I started university and have to pay for my own food (except when I'm home during holidays) I realise that fast food is actually pretty expensive compared to more healthy options.

And also remember that the amount people eat contributes to obesity as well as what type of food they are actually eating. A lot of people could make a difference simply by eating less or eating smaller portion sizes.
Being fat is not acceptable with all the pressures it puts on healthcare providers. I hate these politically correct sods who insist we should just accept t because its normal....its not bloody normal. I will never offend someone over their weight but I'll continue to worry about them but at the end of the day, they dont care, they made their choice
Because in recent decades the idea of saying no or disciplining your child has become frowned upon. Liberalism has also created a culture of acceptance which builds on the lack of discipline.

*I don't consider liberalism a bad thing but it has had negative side effects.
tbh having slender children would make many underclass families stick out. they would be targeted as posh and experience mob violence etc. so they stick with the safe option and feed Chantelle and Tyler crisps and burgers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
People prefer to spend on luxuries and maintain their 'standard of living' while their health plummets. So many people's suicidal stupidity is one of the best arguments against a universal healthy service.

I eat organic and locally produced. It costs me £10 a day. As much as from a takeout. That is just how much healthy food costs. Ofcourse industrialised junk food will cost less - you pay for what you get. People are choosing to immolate themselves.

People used to pay about how much I pay for food in the past. Now they've this sense of entitlement regarding their access to social and technological luxuries and they spend their money on rubbish they can't afford, misprioritising in a pretty negligent way.

I was at a thrift/second hand shop the other day and I saw this scrawny guy who looked like he'd die of something pretty soon spend £150 on a second hand TV worth about £50. Many British people my age and in similar circumstances spend about as much money on alcohol as they do on food, and we wonder why there's a weight problem.

Britain is, as far as a country can go, pretty much ****ed. The country's morals have plummeted and many, if not most, people live a very substandard life. It's sad, only 50 years ago this was a pretty good country.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest