The Student Room Group

Is 23 too old to have the "Normal" uni experience?

Scroll to see replies

Seriously, this guy in my halls was 22 and I couldn't even tell until he told me he'd done a degree before - not that it mattered anyway. 23 is not too old to have a good uni experience! Most people won't even be able to tell and nobody cares anyway (those who do are a bit weird)
Reply 21
Original post by StretfordEnd
I'm not sure I could exactly put an age on it, so let me give a 'what if'. In a few different cities Carnage bar crawls are still a big deal and are part of the 'typical' uni experience. If you tipped up to one as a 40 year old bloke, you might well just be after the 'typical' experience but people are going to go '40 year old bloke doing this? bit weird'.

It's probably not important though, as I'd imagine there's a very high correlation between being 'too old' for the 'typical' student experience, and not actually wanting the typical student experience.

Personally? I've found it great. Because I've gone into it older, I'm doing something that I'm absolutely passionate about - seldom do I go to a lecture without having done the readings or hand in an essay on deadline day. From an academic point of view, I'm definitely getting more out of this than I would have at 18.

From a social point of view, I feel cool as **** :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:. My life experiences are generally speaking a bit beyond that of the average first year so I have the stories to tell and all that, but I'm also close enough to them in age we have the same frame of reference in terms of pop culture and that - so I don't really feel like the old man on campus or anything like that.

Thanks + repped :biggrin: Have you found that people made a big deal out of your age or were they just like "meh"? :smile:
Original post by NickEgg
I want to do some more A levels or an Access course and go to uni, but I'd be 23 when I started. I'm not sure what course I'm applying for yet.

I really want to go and party and fit in with the others and run for elections and all that. To live a full student life.

Can I though? :smile:

you would be classed as a mature student but as long as you look young you'll be fine
Reply 23
I'm 23 just back from my second term and to answer your question absolutely not. You will find the age range of people is far greater than you think and in actuality my age has given me the advantage. I have life skills and a tolerance to the social aspects that no 18 year old possesses ;p. I've managed to succed academically and have a truly fulfilling uni experience. But as others have said Uni is what you make of it I have neighbours that never go out and have made no friends so it really is what YOU make of it. Also as someone else mentioned at 23 I'm older and wiser with the stories but still young enough that our reference points are similar just from a different view. And unless I've outwardly said nobody even notices. Also most of my closest friends on my course are all 18-23 with most 20 or older so there you go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NickEgg
I want to do some more A levels or an Access course and go to uni, but I'd be 23 when I started. I'm not sure what course I'm applying for yet.

I really want to go and party and fit in with the others and run for elections and all that. To live a full student life.

Can I though? :smile:

I jus turned 24 few months ago and finished first year at uni. My experience at uni has been dull pretty much so far and bloody boring with depression expected in future. Its really been hard to get along with people around cuz they are so young, as I 'd prefer to say them child. This has been jokes of my fkin life so far to me and seems like it won't end any soon. So yea this is my experience so far. :no::frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is the second thread like this I've read started by you and I will say again that going for the social life when you're potentially putting yourself into about £50k's worth of debt is totally the wrong reason to do it, and having been friendly with many-an-Access student who did this and regretted it later I can say you probably will regret doing it.

But if you know what you want to do, are committed, and go for it then, unless you make a big deal of your age, nobody else will care. If you do make a big deal of your age then you probably will be singled out and be made to feel isolated.

As with many things life is what you make it. Just go and try to get on with people and you'll probably be fine. Go and make a big deal about you being 23 and them 18 and you probably won't.
As someone who started uni last year aged 20, dropped out and is starting again in September aged 21, you'll be fine. There's a lot of people who start after the 'standard' age of 18, and nobody thinks anything of it. Out of the group of friends I made, I think only one was 18 when he started.

Uni is what you make of it. I'm not a big party-er but I still had a lot of fun and I plan to again when I go back :smile: Fresher's week is a great time to meet people, as everyone is so fresh faced and open to everything. Everyone fears they won't fit in, whether because of their age or something else. But if you make an effort, you'll find people :smile:
I'm going to be 21 if/when I enter. Am I going to be much older than everyone else? I'm just thinking about dating and such....:frown:
Reply 28
Original post by D_ecrivaine
I'm going to be 21 if/when I enter. Am I going to be much older than everyone else? I'm just thinking about dating and such....:frown:

I'm starting in September and will be 22 in October. Don't worry about an age gap because to be honest its not noticeable anyway and there are still 3rd years that are the same age as you anyway if you're really looking for someone the EXACT same age as yourself. :wink:
Original post by Jmce
I'm starting in September and will be 22 in October. Don't worry about an age gap because to be honest its not noticeable anyway and there are still 3rd years that are the same age as you anyway if you're really looking for someone the EXACT same age as yourself. :wink:

Well we don't have to be exactly the same age but an 18 or 19 year old? Ehhh...That's like right out of high school. My brother's age haha.
Reply 30
Well we don't have to be exactly the same age but an 18 or 19 year old? Ehhh...That's like right out of high school. My brother's age haha.

Maybe but do you think you'll be the only 'mature' student at the university in that year group? There will be plenty of people that are in the exact same boat as you I'm sure :tongue: also most universities have societies aimed at people if they're classed as "mature students" :tongue:
Original post by NickEgg
I want to do some more A levels or an Access course and go to uni, but I'd be 23 when I started. I'm not sure what course I'm applying for yet.I really want to go and party and fit in with the others and run for elections and all that. To live a full student life. Can I though? :smile:

ill be 25 when I start. I'm not worried, mainly as I'm convinced im still 18 haha
23 is not too old. My good mate at uni who is in his final year now is 24 and I'm 21! Seriously though 23 is young, you will find people older than you, you'll be perfectly fine :smile:
Original post by tim_123
ill be 25 when I start. I'm not worried, mainly as I'm convinced im still 18 haha

Hahah yes! I feel like that sometimes, it's great
Original post by Jmce
Maybe but do you think you'll be the only 'mature' student at the university in that year group? There will be plenty of people that are in the exact same boat as you I'm sure :tongue: also most universities have societies aimed at people if they're classed as "mature students" :tongue:

Hummmm true. Ugh, "mature student" makes me feel old though. I feel like they should raise the age for that term, make it 25 or 30.....
Reply 35
Hummmm true. Ugh, "mature student" makes me feel old though. I feel like they should raise the age for that term, make it 25 or 30.....

Yeah that's why i put it in a quotation, I don't think you can class people that are 21+ as mature students. I feel the exact same as I did when I was 18 :rolleyes:
Original post by Jmce
Yeah that's why i put it in a quotation, I don't think you can class people that are 21+ as mature students. I feel the exact same as I did when I was 18 :rolleyes:

Haha oh I see. Do you know if Northern Irish go to school early like Scottish do? Or I thought I heard that
It's not really about the age, it's more about you as a person. I mean, I'm 22, and the thought of starting first year now would kill me, mainly because I think 18 year old freshers are really immature and I wouldn't fit in with them anymore. However if that is what you are wanting, then it makes sense. I knew mature students when I started uni who were early twenties. They still had fun, but you knew they were mature students - it wasn't easy to hide. Not with them anyway.
Reply 38
Haha oh I see. Do you know if Northern Irish go to school early like Scottish do? Or I thought I heard that

Just googled, they have the same as England's term dates. Typical start is 1st september for colleges. As for universities they start at 22nd September or similar :smile:
Look if your 50 and thinking of going to uni then worry (:, your still young

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending