The Student Room Group

Politicians from opposing parties that you actually like.

So for example if you a Tory who is your favourite Labour politician, if you are Labour your favourite Tory, if you are Lib Dem your favourite Tory/Labour politician ect. ect.

Personally I like William Hague, Liam Fox, Eric Pickles, Tim Farron, Paddy Ashdown and John Major.

Be interesting to see everyone else's opinion, and we can leave behind bloody mindedness for a second.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Boris Johnson and Theresa May would have to be my favorite tories, and Simon Danczuck for labour.
Don't think I could think of a lib dem or green politician that I'm very fond of
Reply 2
Original post by Sam280297
Boris Johnson and Theresa May would have to be my favorite tories, and Simon Danczuck for labour.
Don't think I could think of a lib dem or green politician that I'm very fond of

Which party do you support? SNP? UKIP? Plaid?
Original post by Swanbow
Which party do you support? SNP? UKIP? Plaid?

UKIP
Reply 4
Original post by Sam280297
UKIP

I quite like Farage as a character.
Reply 5
Anyone else?
Original post by Swanbow
Anyone else?

I prefer Labour as a whole but I prefer certain Conservatives over the labour party as a whole

Ken Clarke
Dominic Grieve
Godfrey Bloom (comedy wise)
Dan Hanaan
George Osborne
Peter Skinner (Republican)
Ed Miliband
Sadiq khan
Peter Mandelson
BORIS!
I actually don't mind Nigel Farage, and I dont think he personally is racist, but I think his party attracts the "wrong type of people" There's being "anti immigration" and there's being "racist" And his party attracts both types of people.

Bristol UKIP are absolutely terrible for this... (See their twitter. It is abhorrent) Though Im side tracking there a bit. Farage, an OK kinda guy. People in his party, no.
Reply 9
Original post by Davij038
I prefer Labour as a whole but I prefer certain Conservatives over the labour party as a whole

Ken Clarke
Dominic Grieve
Godfrey Bloom (comedy wise)
Dan Hanaan
George Osborne
Peter Skinner (Republican)
Ed Miliband
Sadiq khan
Peter Mandelson

Surprised about Mandelson. Always came across as a bit of a sleezeball to me. But did well pushing Labour to the centre at a time when it was their only chance.
Original post by Swanbow
Surprised about Mandelson. Always came across as a bit of a sleezeball to me. But did well pushing Labour to the centre at a time when it was their only chance.

Eh he is slimy, yes but i think that's inevitable for a PR person.
Enoch Powell voted Labour and I quite like him. One of the greatest politicians to ever live in the 20th century.
Tory here..

Labour - Margaret Hodge (does a great job on the public accounts committee tearing people to shreds)
Lib Dem - Danny Alexander (the unsung hero, i'd happily see him cross the benches)
Ukip - None
Green - None
SNP - Salmond (hate what the guy stands for but he's a class apart from today's Westminster leaders)
Blair, Blunkett and Cook.
I'm Labour.

In the Tories I like Kenneth Clarke, John Major and John Bercow.
Can't really think of anyone from Lib Dems/Greens/SNP/Plaid etc.
Reply 15
I quite like Clegg, I think he did a very good thing going into government with the Tories and helped moderate them.

In terms of Labour I quite like Keith Vaz
Love Nigel Farage. Regardless of his policies, he's a very good charismatic politician who seems more genuine that the likes of milliband.

As much as I can't abide the SNP, I have a big respect for Sturgeon too. She's a strong politician. Id put her with the ranks of Merkel in that she genuinely believes what she says. I think she's a great politician.

Not a touch on TM though. Love her.
Original post by Aj12

In terms of Labour I quite like Keith Vaz

Keith Vaz is amongst my most hated- he tried to ban the Satanic Versus/ he is enemy of freedom. Of speech.

BoT

I also like John Bercow, Chris Bryant, And Esther Mcvey
Reply 18
Original post by Davij038
Keith Vaz is amongst my most hated- he tried to ban the Satanic Versus/ he is enemy of freedom. Of speech.

BoT

I also like John Bercow, Chris Bryant, And Esther Mcvey

Really? I was not aware of that, might have to reappraise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Those saying they don't mind Farage as a character. He's MEANT to come across that way. He is a populist. His basis is appealing to people through personality instead of politics. Unfortunately people are blinded by this, therefore don't actually notice he has no set values of his own, one differing from any other party (except of course, Brexit).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending