The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

How many weeks do we need to apply for when looking at accommodation?
Original post by bfarrar21
How many weeks do we need to apply for when looking at accommodation?

Take a look at the website of the University you are applying to and see if they have a timetable/calendar for speech and language therapy.
Original post by nesca89
I have just firmed my place with MMU, doesn't feel real! All I need now is a reference from my college.. Does anybody know If I do that through UCAS or just direct to the university?

Ooooh exciting!! I bet you must feel so over the moon right now!
Original post by madagascar
Ooooh exciting!! I bet you must feel so over the moon right now!

I really am! However, now starts the stress of applying for student finance and such like. I have just applied for a bursary through BOSS... is this all I need to do or is there somewhere else I should be applying to? haha I am so confused!
Original post by nesca89
I really am! However, now starts the stress of applying for student finance and such like. I have just applied for a bursary through BOSS... is this all I need to do or is there somewhere else I should be applying to? haha I am so confused!

Have you applied to SFE as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope... Do I do that now? Lol
Original post by nesca89
Nope... Do I do that now? Lol

So if you want a maintenance loan you can apply - I believe the deadline is the end of May?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Butterfly9595
So if you want a maintenance loan you can apply - I believe the deadline is the end of May?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I believe I can but i have to pay it back, is this right?
Original post by nesca89
Thank you everybody for your congratulations, I am still in shock. Absolutely can not believe it and the celebrations have already started. I feel drunk with excitement! Can't believe it. I'm so happy, congratulations to all those receiving offers tonight too :smile:

OMG OMG well done!!

See you in September!!
Original post by nesca89
Yes, I believe I can but i have to pay it back, is this right?

You do have to pay it back when you are earning enough but its £2300 ish extra per year!
Original post by AmyPilot
OMG OMG well done!!

See you in September!!

hehe thank you so much, i'm absolutely over the moon :smile: still dreaming haha. You certainly will see me in September!! :biggrin:

I have applied for the maintenance loan and they just need evidence of my NHS bursary... which I haven't got yet. And how do I apply for a grant then? And also, it says on SFE that I can not apply for tuition fee loans so where do I apply for them? Jeez, it really is confusing. I haven't had to enter in anywhere the number of weeks I will be studying.. :/
I don't want to think about loans and stuff yet, it'll stress me out so much!
Original post by nesca89
hehe thank you so much, i'm absolutely over the moon :smile: still dreaming haha. You certainly will see me in September!! :biggrin:

I have applied for the maintenance loan and they just need evidence of my NHS bursary... which I haven't got yet. And how do I apply for a grant then? And also, it says on SFE that I can not apply for tuition fee loans so where do I apply for them? Jeez, it really is confusing. I haven't had to enter in anywhere the number of weeks I will be studying.. :/

Applying to the NHS pays the tuition fees so you don't need/qualify for the fees element from student finance. Everyone gets £1000 bursary from NHS then there is an additional means tested element depending on earnings etc. so you don't get any grants from student finance - all you qualify for on top of the NHS bursary is the reduced non means tested loan element from student finance.

The meanest thing of all is that you also don't qualify for any grants/bursaries from the uni itself as SLT is a funded course so its exempt! Annoying - I could have been entitled to an extra £3000 for high grades but hey ho what can you do?
Original post by JordanC55
I don't want to think about loans and stuff yet, it'll stress me out so much!

coward lol!
Applying to the NHS pays the tuition fees so you don't need/qualify for the fees element from student finance. Everyone gets £1000 bursary from NHS then there is an additional means tested element depending on earnings etc. so you don't get any grants from student finance - all you qualify for on top of the NHS bursary is the reduced non means tested loan element from student finance.

The meanest thing of all is that you also don't qualify for any grants/bursaries from the uni itself as SLT is a funded course so its exempt! Annoying - I could have been entitled to an extra £3000 for high grades but hey ho what can you do?

I understand... so if i am eligible for a maintenance loan of around £2,400 and then the bursary of £1000... this is the only funding I will get for a whole year? :redface:
Original post by nesca89
I understand... so if i am eligible for a maintenance loan of around £2,400 and then the bursary of £1000... this is the only funding I will get for a whole year? :redface:

I get more than that because of the additional means tested element to the NHS bursary - they have a calculator which should tell you if you are eligible for this aspect - its all very confusing really!
I get more than that because of the additional means tested element to the NHS bursary - they have a calculator which should tell you if you are eligible for this aspect - its all very confusing really!

So if I have already sent off my bursary application, will they just do a means tested one for me as well or do I have to apply separately for that? I am classed as independent so I don't see why I wouldn't be eligible for it
Original post by nesca89
So if I have already sent off my bursary application, will they just do a means tested one for me as well or do I have to apply separately for that? I am classed as independent so I don't see why I wouldn't be eligible for it

I thought when I applied last year it told me how much I would get subject to providing all the evidence and getting the formal official notification but I could be wrong - haven't done next years yet and it has been a long time since I first applied but seem to remember that I knew how much I would get - BOSS saves all correspondence etc is it in there?
I thought when I applied last year it told me how much I would get subject to providing all the evidence and getting the formal official notification but I could be wrong - haven't done next years yet and it has been a long time since I first applied but seem to remember that I knew how much I would get - BOSS saves all correspondence etc is it in there?

I haven't seen any sum of money written anywhere.. I just went on to double check and it just says my application is pending and that's it. Hmm, maybe they have changed it this year or something
Would seriously recommend people get started on loans/NHS bursary stuff around now, especially if you have exams in May - it is hassle so you need time to do it, but it is manageable :wink:
Maintenance loan is pretty easy to apply for anyway - as the course is funded you receive the absolute minimum so you don't need to faff around with parent income etc - that's only if you are eligible for the additional NHS grant.
If you're going to study at Strathclyde or QMU it's a different system (whether you're from Scotland or rest of UK) feel free to send me a pm if you're from RUK and applying for finance here as there is practically no guidance at all on what to do! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest