The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Purple-Pixie
Well good luck with your decision :smile:

Thank you! To get into my sixth form I need 8 A* - C grades, including passes in Maths, English and Science. This will be fine for English but I'm really worried I'll fail Maths and Science as they are my weakest subjects :frown:

I also need to get an A in all the subjects that I want to do for A Level. This should be fine with me for English Lit, provided that I keep working hard, as I got an A in the Year 10 and 11 mocks for it. However, I'm worried that I'll miss the A grade for Psychology as there's so much to remember and the grade boundaries are so high!

The other subjects I'm doing are Sociology and Politics and I need an A in English to do these subjects. So there's a lot of pressure for me to get an A in English Lit and I don't know what I'll do if I don't :frown:

What are the requirements for your sixth form and college?

Aww, well, I hope you get in. Good luck but seriously, 8 A*-C!? Wow, that's high. Oo0.

For my school's 6F, you'll need 5 A*-Cs and at least a B in the subject you want.

The college is basically the same except you'll need 6 A*-Cs and Bs in the subject u want.

The other 6F needs you to get 6 A*-Bs and at least a B in the subject you want.

FM is an exception though cause you'll need an A or A* in them.

Are you hoping to do politics in the future?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:
Original post by dumb cabbage
I would be over the moon if I got A!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm upset because I was a lazy **** throughout the whole of year 10:wink:
So instead of revising I'm sat here picking prom dresses and I am absolutely clueless hahahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
Aww, well, I hope you get in. Good luck but seriously, 8 A*-C!? Wow, that's high. Oo0.

For my school's 6F, you'll need 5 A*-Cs and at least a B in the subject you want.

The college is basically the same except you'll need 6 A*-Cs and Bs in the subject u want.

The other 6F needs you to get 6 A*-Bs and at least a B in the subject you want.

FM is an exception though cause you'll need an A or A* in them.

Are you hoping to do politics in the future?

Thank you! I know :frown:

No I'm not planning on doing Politics in the future, I'll probably end up dropping it at A2 (that or Sociology, but then again it's quite hard to tell at this stage) :redface:
42 days till my first exam (French) and I've just started revising - its only just sunk in :s-smilie:
Original post by Firenze26
Yeah, I've done my biology and chemistry gcse last year. What about you?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar :frown:

Nah, it's fine! I've done my English Lang, ICT and Drama iGCSEs so .... Yeah :smile:

Original post by Kai Diawara
I did chemistry. wanted A* but got an A :frown:. I'll retake it in year 12

Good luck! :biggrin: You'll do great
Have any of you ever been on a Justin Craig revision course before? What's it like?
Original post by LeFeuilly
Nah, it's fine! I've done my English Lang, ICT and Drama iGCSEs so .... Yeah :smile:

Good luck! :biggrin: You'll do great

Thank you:smile:, but apparently universities don't like gcse retakes so im not sure
Thank you:smile:, but apparently universities don't like gcse retakes so im not sure

Honestly, retakes are alright - they don't necessarily mean you'e a poor student. Instead, they show to universities etc. that you were dissatisfied with whatever grade you got and decided to do something about it; it shows initiative, if anything.

For example, a bunch of people who got A's in my school last year for our English Lang exam decided to retake it to see if they could hit an A*. Like you, it doesn't mean they're bad - they're just determined to reach their own personal expectations which some universities may like :smile:
Honestly, retakes are alright - they don't necessarily mean you'e a poor student. Instead, they show to universities etc. that you were dissatisfied with whatever grade you got and decided to do something about it; it shows initiative, if anything.

For example, a bunch of people who got A's in my school last year for our English Lang exam decided to retake it to see if they could hit an A*. Like you, it doesn't mean they're bad - they're just determined to reach their own personal expectations which some universities may like :smile:

Its because I want to do biochemistry at oxford/imperial so competition is so fierce. so I need as many stars as possible :frown:
Its because I want to do biochemistry at oxford/imperial so competition is so fierce. so I need as many stars as possible :frown:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....

Well personally, I don't think doing a retake will hinder your chances of getting accepted. I mean - and this is taken from the biochemistry requirement page on the Oxford Uni website:

A-levels: A*AA with A* in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Physics

Advanced Highers: AA/AAB

IB: 39 (including core points) with 7 in HL Chemistry and 6 in two other relevant subjects at HL or SL

Or any other equivalent

Candidates are expected to have Chemistry to A-level, Advanced Higher, or Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent, plus another science or Mathematics. Biology and Mathematics to at least AS-level, Scottish Higher or Standard Level in the IB (Mathematical Methods, not Mathematical Studies) or any other equivalent can be helpful to students in completing the course, although they are not required for admission.
So, to summarise, GCSEs are important and admission tutors do look at them. However, they aren't as important as the subjects you choose to do at A-Level; a retake shouldn't have any affect on your chances of being accepted :smile:
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ....

Well personally, I don't think doing a retake will hinder your chances of getting accepted. I mean - and this is taken from the biochemistry requirement page on the Oxford Uni website:

A-levels: A*AA with A* in Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology or Physics

Advanced Highers: AA/AAB

IB: 39 (including core points) with 7 in HL Chemistry and 6 in two other relevant subjects at HL or SL

Or any other equivalent

Candidates are expected to have Chemistry to A-level, Advanced Higher, or Higher Level in the IB or any other equivalent, plus another science or Mathematics. Biology and Mathematics to at least AS-level, Scottish Higher or Standard Level in the IB (Mathematical Methods, not Mathematical Studies) or any other equivalent can be helpful to students in completing the course, although they are not required for admission.
So, to summarise, GCSEs are important and admission tutors do look at them. However, they aren't as important as the subjects you choose to do at A-Level; a retake shouldn't have any affect on your chances of being accepted :smile:

Thanks for the advice and the provided info. much appreciated :biggrin:.
Reply 4892
Original post by semise
42 days till my first exam (French) and I've just started revising - its only just sunk in :s-smilie:

same same same :frown:(( is your french AQA? 42 days... i just cried. I had a countdown on my phone but it depressed me so i deleted it...
Thanks for the advice and the provided info. much appreciated :biggrin:.

You're welcome :smile: Anything to help a fellow student.
I hate it when our school changes teachers so quickly. :angry: It's all very well that a few have complained, but now the new one won't have a clue where we're at. It's pretty important now, too.

Who knows, it might turn out alright - I just wish they'd give us more notice.
Original post by pursuedbyabear
I hate it when our school changes teachers so quickly. :angry: It's all very well that a few have complained, but now the new one won't have a clue where we're at. It's pretty important now, too.

Who knows, it might turn out alright - I just wish they'd give us more notice.

At least they change your teachers when people complain...

We have a teacher that can't teach so we don't learn anything in her class...
How is everyone revising for English Lit? I want to do past papers but there don't seem to be any for my exam board with the correct poetry, play and novel that I'm studying as I think we're the first year to do it on this exam board (Cambridge IGCSE) :frown: I really need to get an A for English Lit as I plan to study it for A Level but in my other subjects I usually rely on past papers to revise so I don't know what to do now :s-smilie:
How much revision is everyone gonna do over Easter?

I'm thinking 4 hours a day..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing ocr geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aha1
same same same :frown:(( is your french AQA? 42 days... i just cried. I had a countdown on my phone but it depressed me so i deleted it...

Ahh no, I do Edexcel :biggrin:
Countdowns make me even more stressed so deleting it was probably for the best