The Student Room Group

Most powerful countries

Poll

Do you agree?

I hit upon this method to compare countries globally- lets check out the most powerful.
Military (purely conventional)-
1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. UK
6. France
8. Germany
9. Japan
Economic (by net PPP)-
1. China
2. USA
3. India
4. Japan
5. Germany
6. Russia
8. France
10. UK

And considering space research, IMHO the most powerful states in the world are-
1. USA
2. China
3. India
4. Japan
5. Russia
6. Germany
7. France
8. UK

Do you agree?

(P.S- I used space research levels for 'tiebreakers')

My data source-
http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you Indian? :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Josb
Are you Indian? :biggrin:

I can see where you are going :biggrin:
No I'm not, and I attached some useful links @ the end of my previous post, you may want to check them out.
1. US
2. USA
3. 'Murica
4. America
5. United States
6. The United States
7. The Land of the Free
8. The Home of the Brave
9. United States of America
10. The United States of America
No North Korea?
Reply 5
I totally agree
Reply 6
I don't agree.

For one the globalfirepower index is only useful for numbers, it does not take into account that the Russian Navy is crap (yes they do have plans to modernise before somebody points that out to me) and that half the Russian air force is also crap.

My personal view..

1. USA
2. China
3. Russia (air and ground, indian navy superior to Russia)
4. India
5. UK
6. France
7. Japan
8. South Korea
9. Germany

With Abe in power there's a not insignificant chance that Japan could move to 5th and in the long run could even choose to match or beat Russia for 4th since India's economy will eventually be so large that Russia can't maintain third. An EU military should it ever form would have the technology and tax revenues to match the US, China and India if it wished.

The economy you argue about PPP vs Nominal but i'm not going to get into that because it's a circular debate, merits to both. Indeed your importance in the world can be measured in many ways.

I'd agree with your space ranking. The UK is let down by not having it's own launches and being heavily commercial rather than having any state goals, albeit that does mean that we have the most profitable space sector in the world, could have 10% of the global space industry by 2030 and we do make tonnes of satellite components. If we were to use the ESA as one body on the list here then i'd put us 3rd.
Reply 7
UK military is too high, but I would say if you put EU on there the they would poll 3rd consistently.
America 1-10 on all lists. Nothing else really seems to matter at the moment.
Original post by clh_hilary
1. US
2. USA
3. 'Murica
4. America
5. United States
6. The United States
7. The Land of the Free
8. The Home of the Brave
9. United States of America
10. The United States of America

something stan smith would say
Original post by Spandy
I hit upon this method to compare countries globally- lets check out the most powerful.
Military (purely conventional)-
1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. UK
6. France
8. Germany
9. Japan
Economic (by net PPP)-
1. China
2. USA
3. India
4. Japan
5. Germany
6. Russia
8. France
10. UK

And considering space research, IMHO the most powerful states in the world are-
1. USA
2. China
3. India
4. Japan
5. Russia
6. Germany
7. France
8. UK

Do you agree?

(P.S- I used space research levels for 'tiebreakers')

My data source-
http://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-listing.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29

I think a sensible taxonomy for conceptualising state capabilities would have to observe at least the following: that state power can be hard and soft, or military and cultural; that state power is a function of not only national attributes, but dyadic relations between nations, and the structure of the global system itself; and that a realised military capability is to be distinguished from the industrial capacity to realise a certain military capability in the medium-term, and the demographic and cultural conditions to industrialise and militarise in the long-term.

That 'global fire power' ranking looks terribly dated in its focus upon hard military power. As interstate was has precipitously declined in frequency in the post-war era, especially after the Cold War, as has the importance of national, dyadic and system-level economic factors risen. In any case, I don't think its best to simply use an ordinal ranking - the intervals are clearly not equal. For one thing, the United States occupies a qualitatively different global position than any other state.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
China's economic growth comes at the expense of it's poor.

It is the more vicious than the rest of the World put together (report)

Other reports have disappeared.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpw3Nhs6akc
(edited 9 years ago)
Space research? Russia n1 for sure
Reply 13
Original post by RussianHotdog
Space research? Russia n1 for sure

Uh, I don't think so...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending