The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
No bench Beckham or play 3-6-1.

Semen
Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell
Hargreaves
Beckham(RM), Scholes, Lampard, Cole(LM/LWB)
Gerrard
Owen

If that was played at the world cup woulda beasted it. Hargreaves woulda protected Terry, Ferdinand had pace so he wouldn't get caught out by any potential lack of covering from Beckham, while Cole had the pace to make up for any time Campbell is struggling for pace.

Owen woulda been sufficient pace for the top.

It allows all the players to play and it's absolutely farcical that no England manager tried this not even in a ****ing friendly.

Yeah thought of this after I made the post. Rooney up top would be better though (except in 2002 of course)
Original post by jam277
No you have your stats wrong.

1 goal in 27 games was 12/13, when Welbeck played majority on the wing and 14 of his appearances were from the bench. In 13/14 Welbeck got 9 goals in the league in 25 appearances, this happened to be the longest stint since 11/12(where he also got 9 goals in 27 appearances but was younger etc)

11-12 yeah. Guy played up top and his finishing was awful. In reality he has good link up play and can run the channels but on the ball he's pretty pathetic really.
Original post by jam277
If Walcott is leaving, yes.

And if he's not, and Sterling is available to us, then sell him to fund it anyway!

Don't see it though. Only way Sterling would even possibly move to us would be if Liverpool didn't make top 4 and we did, and even then I'm pretty sure bigger clubs would be in for him anyway.
Original post by leinad2012
The guy is 24 he is by no means at his peak. But when you compare him as our second choice striker (and ****ing 1st choice RW) to City who have Jovetic (they play 2 up front and have 4 top strikers ffs) then he is simply not good enough. He has a high work rate but we won't be challenging for titles any time soon while we have players of his quality as our back-up.

The only thing I can see him doing is messing up Gabry's progress and forcing Wenger to play Ox at CDM

24 is about when most strikers are hitting their peak
if we put Welbz up for sale tomorrow then the likes of Southampton would give us 20m for him in half a heartbeat

he is an average striker, but hard to call it a poor transfer

Original post by sr90
He's scored fewer Premier League goals than Fellaini.

Posted from TSR Mobile

true - I would definetly say his league performances have been very dissapointing.

Made up for it somewhat in other competitions though. 3 goals in the Champions league, and a crucial goal in the FA cup - is good.

But yeah, in the league he has been poor.
In general they're pretty similar, but right now based on form I'd say Monreal. But I've supported the guy for a long time even when others have said he's **** so I'm probably a bit biased.

Monreal is probably the most improved Arsenal player since Koscielny, cracking left back atm. What hes done is find a better balance between attack and defence, used to get caught out badly up the field but now used to the pace

Think I overrated Gibbs about a year ago, he's not all that in truth.
Original post by jam277
If Walcott is leaving, yes.

True, Santi's getting on a bit as well, I can't see us paying his wages or Liverpool selling to an English team tbh
Lukaku and Welbeck in a 4-4-2 though :moon:
Original post by difeo
24 is about when most strikers are hitting their peak

You serious? Examples?

Most of the top strikers right now are older than 27, other than Messi who probably peaked a year or 2 ago.

Aguero, Suarez, Ronaldo, hell even Giroud have all improved with age
Original post by fallen_acorns
true - I would definetly say his league performances have been very dissapointing.

Made up for it somewhat in other competitions though. 3 goals in the Champions league, and a crucial goal in the FA cup - is good.

His cl performances have been far from inspiring bar one in our easiest group game against a mid-table Championship level side. Hardly saying much is it
Original post by Depleted
11-12 yeah. Guy played up top and his finishing was awful. In reality he has good link up play and can run the channels but on the ball he's pretty pathetic really.

He may be ****, but I'm sure the image of him skipping past your goalkeeper and celebrating will haunt you for years to come :wink:
You serious? Examples?

Most of the top strikers right now are older than 27, other than Messi who probably peaked a year or 2 ago.

Aguero, Suarez, Ronaldo, hell even Giroud have all improved with age

Hitting their peak at 24, so their peak would be about 24-27

Aguero is 26 and has been performing at the same level for 2 or 3 years now.
Suarez is just turned 28 so his best season was 26-27
Ronaldo has basically been performing at about the same level since he joined Real aged 24, and he won WPOTY aged 22. Goalscoring wise his best season was 11-12 when he was 26

Other examples are Villa - at his best around 2008 age 26, Torres - 07-09 age 23-25, Rooney - 09-12 age 24-27
Walcott set to start for England tonight.
Reports today of a £50mil bid for Sterling, even if the guy is worth that much (which is debatable), do we really need another CAM?

£50m?
Take him.
Original post by difeo
Hitting their peak at 24, so their peak would be about 24-27

Aguero is 26 and has been performing at the same level for 2 or 3 years now.
Suarez is just turned 28 so his best season was 26-27
Ronaldo has basically been performing at about the same level since he joined Real aged 24, and he won WPOTY aged 22. Goalscoring wise his best season was 11-12 when he was 26

Other examples are Villa - at his best around 2008 age 26, Torres - 07-09 age 23-25, Rooney - 09-12 age 24-27

Aguero I agree with and Ronaldo to an extent. But all the players I've mentioned peaked at 26, I'm not going to say Welbeck is going to improve to become a top striker in the next 2 years but he definitely should improve a fair amount from now.
Original post by Lúcio
£50m?
Take him.

I would probably be just about happy if we got him for £40,000,001, not a single penny more though
I would probably be just about happy if we got him for £40,000,001, not a single penny more though

Haha, touché :wink:

He'll be leaving us in a matter of years anyway - would be great if we could keep him but we know we'll lose him soon.
We just want to up his value as much as possible.

Somebody with a £50m bid is exactly what we want.
Reply 5998
Wilshere, Debuchy, Arteta and man like Diaby all played against a Brentford XI at Arsenal's training ground. I think the Liverpool game will be too soon though but it's nice to have them back (Obviously Diaby will not play).

Haven't heard anything about Ramsey and Welbeck though, I honestly doubt they're injured. Probably just pulling out of the international games.
Original post by fallen_acorns

Three goals in one match only

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest