The Student Room Group

(SELF STUDY Student) Need major help in Edexcel Geography

Hello guys,

I'm an international student doing Edexcel GCE geography AS And AL this June.
I have plenty of questions if u guys don't mind helping out. I really do need help, since I am self studying geography.

Q1)For unit 1, how important are the case studies? Do we need to remember/memorize them?

Q2) For Unit 2, We pick one topic out of Extreme weather/crowded coasts and one out of unequal spaces and rebranding places right?

Q3)and we must absolutely learn the fieldwork/research part with an example/case study which could be accomplished by practicing , reading Mark schemes and examiners reports. Correct me if I'm wrong

Q4)In Unit 3, I'm pretty puzzled here, so apparently the pre-release materials for June 2015 is Biodiversity under threat. Which means that it will ABSOLUTELY come as a question in Section B am I correct?, then I'll just have to learn two chapters of my choice out of the other remaining 5?

Q5)Unit 4 will require practicing with the examination's structure and I'll pick one out of the 6 available topics right?

Please do help. Pretty desperate, stressed and worried right now.:confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Case studies are for for unit 1
Pretty sure that is correct for unit 2
You need case studies for unit 2 but realistically you don't need to do the fieldwork
For unit 3 you must do the biodiversity pre release and any 2 other topics
Unit 4 people normally learn 1 topic and study around the pre release of that
Reply 2
Original post by Flather
Case studies are for for unit 1
Pretty sure that is correct for unit 2
You need case studies for unit 2 but realistically you don't need to do the fieldwork
For unit 3 you must do the biodiversity pre release and any 2 other topics
Unit 4 people normally learn 1 topic and study around the pre release of that

Thanks for the reply,

I'm still not quite sure, I thought only case studies with (compulsory) before them have to be learnt/remembered. so I'm mistaken then? and all of them are important?

Moreover, I'd like to know more about the variety of questions in Unit 2,3 and 4? are there a wide variety of questions or can most of the content/questions be learnt simply by doing past papers?
Reply 3
Original post by NoobandBad
Thanks for the reply,

I'm still not quite sure, I thought only case studies with (compulsory) before them have to be learnt/remembered. so I'm mistaken then? and all of them are important?

Moreover, I'd like to know more about the variety of questions in Unit 2,3 and 4? are there a wide variety of questions or can most of the content/questions be learnt simply by doing past papers?

For unit 1 you will need to drop case studies in most questions to gain max marks, so having plenty well learnt will help.

Unit 2 as I remember is all essays like unit 3. Unit 4 is a 70 mark essay.
Reply 4
Original post by Flather
For unit 1 you will need to drop case studies in most questions to gain max marks, so having plenty well learnt will help.

Unit 2 as I remember is all essays like unit 3. Unit 4 is a 70 mark essay.

Hey there, sorry for the loads of questions...Just gone through Unit 1.
Apparently, you only need the case Studies for Q7 TO Q10 right? 1-6 are just short questions and is based off knowledge, or are case studies needed as well?
Reply 5
Original post by NoobandBad
Hey there, sorry for the loads of questions...Just gone through Unit 1.
Apparently, you only need the case Studies for Q7 TO Q10 right? 1-6 are just short questions and is based off knowledge, or are case studies needed as well?

Definitely needed for the essays at the end. I like to use them in the 5 mark questions in each section where I can, for some they're not applicable but I think it helps just to have a few small examples to use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending